5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Housing V6

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have the fixed the issue with the plastic oil filter housing cracking and causing leaks, and the small gaskets becoming brittle?

I read several articles that Chrysler stopped making the housing. If that is the case, how are these getting replaced?

Has there been a revision in this part?

I know there is the DOORMAN alum. equivalent, but that's not what FCA uses to fix a leaking part.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
But my question was// Is FCA still using the flawed design of the old one for replacements? (and I read somewhere they aren't even making them anymore).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But my question was// Is FCA still using the flawed design of the old one for replacements? (and I read somewhere they aren't even making them anymore).
They still have them. I would say the majority of the leaks are from the seals not the housing. It is just too labor costly to replace the seals to have that 1 leak again. I am not defending that design. I personally like it, I have made a lot of money off that bad design.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
They still have them. I would say the majority of the leaks are from the seals not the housing. It is just too labor costly to replace the seals to have that 1 leak again. I am not defending that design. I personally like it, I have made a lot of money off that bad design.
But after all these years, why are they still putting it in the v6's????? Doorman has such a better design. why didn't they just make a contract with them, and avoid all the labor costs associated with repairing the faulty one?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But after all these years, why are they still putting it in the v6's????? Doorman has such a better design. why didn't they just make a contract with them, and avoid all the labor costs associated with repairing the faulty one?
You will see the same leak from the Dorman design, esp from vehicles that go to jiffy lubes. The constant overtorque of the filter and then the loosening of the filter causes a rocking on the housing that will cause the housing seals to leak. Will it prevent housing from cracking, most likely.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned four of the Pentastar engines. 2012 Wrangler, 2014 Challenger, 2018 Wrangler, 2020 Gladiator. Everything from 285 to 305 HP trim. Towed at maximum capacity with the Gladiator. Ran the dog **** out of the Challenger. I never once EVER had a single issue out of any of those engines. I don't understand why so many people end up cracking the oil filter housing. The torque spec is literally stamped onto the filter cap! Just don't overtighten it and you're fine. It's not rocket science. I LOVE the ease of access to the oil filter on those engines. It's a beautiful thing.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned four of the Pentastar engines. 2012 Wrangler, 2014 Challenger, 2018 Wrangler, 2020 Gladiator. Everything from 285 to 305 HP trim. Towed at maximum capacity with the Gladiator. Ran the dog **** out of the Challenger. I never once EVER had a single issue out of any of those engines. I don't understand why so many people end up cracking the oil filter housing. The torque spec is literally stamped onto the filter cap! Just don't overtighten it and you're fine. It's not rocket science. I LOVE the ease of access to the oil filter on those engines. It's a beautiful thing.
This right here!!!

Scram1500

Reaction score
I've changed the oil on a Town and Country and now a Pacifica with the 3.6. That motor is one of the easiest changes there is.

The oil filter housing doesn't need to be tight at all. It goes on easy then stops when it reaches the end of the threads. That's when I stop and back it off a hair. The round gasket does all the work and is not like a flat gasket from a spin on filter that needs to be tight

JimD007

Reaction score
I agree with WXman but will add some experience I think is related. My other vehicle is a BMW convertible with a normally aspirated inline 6 (e88, n52). It is 14 years old now. Also has a plastic cover cartridge filter on top of the motor. Never any issue with the plastic cover. As Scram 1500 said, the O-ring is the seal, the housing does not even need to be tight. Just get the O-ring in the block and it won't leak. I bottom out the housing, however. I do not love plastic parts on engines but this application seems to me to be OK.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
And no one's had to have the complete oil filter assembly replaced in any of these vehicles? Its mostly plastic as well. housing.jpg

Transman

Reaction score
You will see the same leak from the Dorman design, esp from vehicles that go to jiffy lubes. The constant overtorque of the filter and then the loosening of the filter causes a rocking on the housing that will cause the housing seals to leak. Will it prevent housing from cracking, most likely.
I totally agree with you, I always felt the biggest problem with this housing is that they cartridge cover is over tightened when changing the filter. I also have a Grand Cherokee with 145K and the original oil filter housing

JimD007

Reaction score
My son does some repair work in his free time and has replaced several of these housings. So I know they can leak. But I still think (and he believes it is at least plausible) that the issue is unskilled people changing the oil and overtorqueing the plastic cap of the filter housing. It does take more torque to install the housing as the parts get older but it is awfully easy just to watch and stop when the threads bottom out. Perhaps they are using an impact wrench (?). BMW gives "free" maintenance for the first 3 years on their vehicles and when my other vehicle had oil changes at the dealer the threads of the drain plug got cross threaded enough you could not spin it out without a wrench. After years of my oil changes it now moves freely again once loosened. I mention this to say that taking your vehicle to the dealer is not a reliable way to get the necessary skill and care for even this most basic maintenance. As I get older it does get harder to get up and down to do things but I will keep changing my vehicles as long as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread