5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil consumption of ED

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t seen if anybody posted about the oil consumption of their ecodiesel, my Rebel has 9500 km with 42% oil life and the oil level is at the bottom of the dipstick level. I will be adding one litre of oil to bring it to the top of the dipstick marking.

Did anybody else add oil in between oil changes?

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
I have not added but I have a hard time reading any oil level on my dipstick at any point, even right after an oil change. I’m at 16000kms and I did my first one at 10000kms. When I did the first oil change, about 6L came out and there was probably around 1L in/around the oil filter. So close to 7L, manual calls for 8L. ‍
Looking forward to hearing others experiences.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never on my '15 but about 1k miles into my '20 I added 1/2 quart. Of course it may have been low from the dealer as that was the first time I checked it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not added but I have a hard time reading any oil level on my dipstick at any point, even right after an oil change. I’m at 16000kms and I did my first one at 10000kms. When I did the first oil change, about 6L came out and there was probably around 1L in/around the oil filter. So close to 7L, manual calls for 8L. ‍
Looking forward to hearing others experiences.

I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind, sounds like you did the oil change yourself, what kind of oil did you use? What was the price for the oil filter?
In the owner’s manual it says to check the oil level 5 minutes after a warm engine is stopped and to be on level ground. I have been doing that but I will go check right now, the truck has been parked all night and I will see if the oil level is near the same mark. Ok so the oil level was slightly lower maybe 1/8” or 3mm below the hash marks minimum level on the dipstick, I added exactly 1 litre of oil, the oil level went up to 1/8” below the full level on the hash marks on the dipstick so the manual is correct by saying 1 litre will bring the oil level from the bottom to the top hash marks on the dipstick. So if I were to check the oil level after the engine is warmed up the level should be at the top, not that it really matters as long that the oil is in the hash marks.
I used Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil, it is very dark! that’s the oil the FCA dealer recommended.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never on my '15 but about 1k miles into my '20 I added 1/2 quart. Of course it may have been low from the dealer as that was the first time I checked it.
I completely agree with you, I also didn’t check the oil level from the start, I will definitely check right after the first oil change and monitor the level closely. I’m not worried about oil consumption, It’s just piece of mind.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind, sounds like you did the oil change yourself, what kind of oil did you use? What was the price for the oil filter?
In the owner’s manual it says to check the oil level 5 minutes after a warm engine is stopped and to be on level ground. I have been doing that but I will go check right now, the truck has been parked all night and I will see if the oil level is near the same mark. Ok so the oil level was slightly lower maybe 1/8” or 3mm below the hash marks minimum level on the dipstick, I added exactly 1 litre of oil, the oil level went up to 1/8” below the full level on the hash marks on the dipstick so the manual is correct by saying 1 litre will bring the oil level from the bottom to the top hash marks on the dipstick. So if I were to check the oil level after the engine is warmed up the level should be at the top, not that it really matters as long that the oil is in the hash marks.
I used Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil, it is very dark! that’s the oil the FCA dealer recommended.
No, I didn't change the oil, I just checked it and topped it off.

Rotella T6 is the recommended oil for the Gen 2 motor, not for the Gen 3 as far as I know.

These are compliant Gen 3 oils from another message board thread on the subject:

Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W-40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40
Havoline ProDS 5W-40
Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM)
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
TRIAX Euro LX 5W-40
TRIAX Euro Ultra VX 5W-40
Ravenol VST 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 FT 5W-40
AMALIE Elixir Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Millers Oil Trident Fully Synthetic 5W-40
Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 5W-40
MPT Thirty-K True Synthetic High Performance 5W-40
CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5W-40
FUCHS TITAN Supersyn SAE 5W-40
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 Monolec Ultra Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
REPSOL ELITE COSMOS HIGH PERFORMANCE 5W-40

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you get a better dipstick reading on a cold engine with these.. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
I did my own oil change using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 from Canadian tire. It goes on sale there prettt often. Oil filter was the OEM filter from the dodge dealer. I think I paid around $70CDN (bit of a discount through a friend). After completing the oil change and refilling the oil I recall seeing oil on the dipstick but shortly after that I have a hard time ever seeing a good level. I’m thinking if the oil was actually low the oil light would come on? I’m approaching 17K now so will be doing another one in a month or so at 20K.
On my first oil change I also drained the diesel fuel filter, that was a bit of a mess. This oil change will require replacing the diesel fuel filter media itself.
Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did my own oil change using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 from Canadian tire. It goes on sale there prettt often. Oil filter was the OEM filter from the dodge dealer. I think I paid around $70CDN (bit of a discount through a friend). After completing the oil change and refilling the oil I recall seeing oil on the dipstick but shortly after that I have a hard time ever seeing a good level. I’m thinking if the oil was actually low the oil light would come on? I’m approaching 17K now so will be doing another one in a month or so at 20K.
On my first oil change I also drained the diesel fuel filter, that was a bit of a mess. This oil change will require replacing the diesel fuel filter media itself.
Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thank you for replying.
I’m a bit concerned with your post, if you don’t see the oil on the dipstick, add at least one litre of oil, it should take minimum 8 litres and maybe 1/4 litre more to fill the oil filter, and as long that the oil level is in the hash marks on the dip stick.
One more thing, which is so confusing/frustrating on all the different oil suggestions from the owners manuals, the forum members and dealerships, I’m curious to know, what made you decide to use the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 oil.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Thank you for replying.
I’m a bit concerned with your post, if you don’t see the oil on the dipstick, add at least one litre of oil, it should take minimum 8 litres and maybe 1/4 litre more to fill the oil filter, and as long that the oil level is in the hash marks on the dip stick.
One more thing, which is so confusing/frustrating on all the different oil suggestions from the owners manuals, the forum members and dealerships, I’m curious to know, what made you decide to use the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 oil.
Pennzoil was suggested in the manual, is Ms12991 certified, easily attainable and not super expensive. I think the rotella t6 is for the gen2 (I know some dealers still use it/recommend it).

I guess I could top up a litre to bring up the level but if I’m filling with the correct amount at an oil change interval, does that mean it’s consuming oil?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil was suggested in the manual, is Ms12991 certified, easily attainable and not super expensive. I think the rotella t6 is for the gen2 (I know some dealers still use it/recommend it).

I guess I could top up a litre to bring up the level but if I’m filling with the correct amount at an oil change interval, does that mean it’s consuming oil?

Thanks again for responding, I’m glad you’ll top up the oil.
You are right about the Pennzoil certification, in my case using the Shell, thats what the dealer sells and uses for both the Cummins heavy duty trucks and the gen. 3L VM Motori ED, I would hate to get engine premature failure because of that oil, the dealer will perform the oil change, but I’m supplying their recommended oil. I will also supply the oil filter if I can find an OEM mopar at a cheaper price, the dealer quoted me $93 for the filter and said it was $140 a while back, sorry to be a pain but do you have your filter receipt, I would like to see which filter they sold you, that is another confusing thing, both OEM part numbers are good according to the mopardirect.ca,
#68507598AA engine oil filter element not available at rockauto.com
supersession(s) #68498720AA must be the old part# or old type of filter, this one is usually available at rockauto.com but is out of stock.
Now for the fuel/water separator
Mopardirect.ca shows two that fits our Ram ED
One is #68436631AA available at rockauto.com for $69.38 taxes and ship. included
Other one is #68432442AB, (supersession #6839448AA) also available at rock auto for $97.57 taxes and shipping included, around $90 plus tax at dealer
Is there two fuel filters on the truck?
Anyway going back to to my original post, I also want to know if the ED consumes oil on regular basis or just during break in, someone must have a lot of miles or kms.

gorilla57

Reaction score
I changed out the factory fill at 2100 miles and it was about 3/4 of a quart low per the dipstick. Put in Total Quartz 9000 and have roughly 4k miles on it since the oil change. I've burned through almost a quart of the Total Quartz so far. It seems to have started to consume less oil now as the first 1/2 quart was consumed in less than 1500 miles. But I have to say, the dipstick is the dumbest design I've ever seen, it is so damn hard to see your oil level with clean oil in the pan.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's normal for engines breaking in to burn a bit. My previous two 6.4L hemis burned oil especially during break in.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Thanks again for responding, I’m glad you’ll top up the oil.
You are right about the Pennzoil certification, in my case using the Shell, thats what the dealer sells and uses for both the Cummins heavy duty trucks and the gen. 3L VM Motori ED, I would hate to get engine premature failure because of that oil, the dealer will perform the oil change, but I’m supplying their recommended oil. I will also supply the oil filter if I can find an OEM mopar at a cheaper price, the dealer quoted me $93 for the filter and said it was $140 a while back, sorry to be a pain but do you have your filter receipt, I would like to see which filter they sold you, that is another confusing thing, both OEM part numbers are good according to the mopardirect.ca,
#68507598AA engine oil filter element not available at rockauto.com
supersession(s) #68498720AA must be the old part# or old type of filter, this one is usually available at rockauto.com but is out of stock.
Now for the fuel/water separator
Mopardirect.ca shows two that fits our Ram ED
One is #68436631AA available at rockauto.com for $69.38 taxes and ship. included
Other one is #68432442AB, (supersession #6839448AA) also available at rock auto for $97.57 taxes and shipping included, around $90 plus tax at dealer
Is there two fuel filters on the truck?
Anyway going back to to my original post, I also want to know if the ED consumes oil on regular basis or just during break in, someone must have a lot of miles or kms.
I used the new Gen3 filter (Part # 68507598AA). It is the entire canister not just the media. Although when I did the oil change it looked like originally a Gen 2 filter was installed at the factory.
I have not yet done any research on the diesel fuel filter but I was under the impression there is just one, right under the drivers seat area.

Users who are viewing this thread