5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Changing Issues

rutledj

Reaction score
I don't pretend to be a mechanic but I can do most normal maintenance things (oil change, brake, etc). I went to do the first oil change on my 2021 1500 and soon realized that some evil engineer placed it in a spot where no normal oil wrench or human hand was designed to reach. I have all types of oil wrenches, the kind that fit on the bottom and you use a socket wrench to turn it (but of course the wrench won't fit). Got a wrap- around with a chain but that didn't work. Finally ended up using a pair of pliers design to put a sink strainer nut on.

So appealing to you experts on what might be the best tool to use for this task.

Thanks,
Rut

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used these to get it lose. Then just turned it out by hand. Also use a large zip lock bag around it as you unscrew and remove it. It will catch pretty much all the oil.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't pretend to be a mechanic but I can do most normal maintenance things (oil change, brake, etc). I went to do the first oil change on my 2021 1500 and soon realized that some evil engineer placed it in a spot where no normal oil wrench or human hand was designed to reach. I have all types of oil wrenches, the kind that fit on the bottom and you use a socket wrench to turn it (but of course the wrench won't fit). Got a wrap- around with a chain but that didn't work. Finally ended up using a pair of pliers design to put a sink strainer nut on.

So appealing to you experts on what might be the best tool to use for this task.

Thanks,
Rut
Batch of information

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My trick was the warm up the truck to full operating temp 200F on the gauge, and wait 15-30 minutes before I tried to remove the filter. It came off easily using a small strap wrench. Here is the wrench I used, it's highly rated: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003969PKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I removed it from the backside of the truck.

To keep from spilling oil on yourself, use the two zip-lock bag method on your next oil change. Once you break your oil filter loose, slip on a 1-gallon zip lock bag, continue to unscrew until oil starts coming out, then wait until it stops. Remove that first bag (have a small oil pan tray next to you to put the bags in), slip on the 2nd zip lock bag and then continue to unscrew the filter and remove it. Once the filter comes off, some additional oil will come out of the oil filter mount, hold the bag there for a few seconds until you get all of that.

If you use this method, you can do the oil change without spilling a drop of oil.

Jako

Reaction score

Thanks,
Rut
I had success with this type oil filter wrench.
1626979127862.png

Pallman

Reaction score

Thanks,
Rut
Hey RUT,
Same here. Dog-Cussed Ram about the Oil Filter location . After trying multiple wrenches, I finally used an Oil Filter "Socket Cup" with a 1/2" drive Ratchet Wrench . The thickness of a Ratchet alone, is too long and won't allow the filter to drop down (after it is unscrewed) and clear the electrical bracket immediately below the filter.
A Republican Engineer surely designed all of that!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dreaded my first change, based on all these types of stories. At roughly 4k miles, I dove in and the filter came off easily with just a regular, small strap wrench.

Guess the gorilla had the weekend off when my truck was built (it was built on a Saturday night).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dreaded my first change, based on all these types of stories. At roughly 4k miles, I dove in and the filter came off easily with just a regular, small strap wrench.

Guess the gorilla had the weekend off when my truck was built (it was built on a Saturday night).
I took my original filter off by hand. But I’m a former power lifter and saw it as a personal challenge ;)

KrustyKush

Reaction score
My first filter change was rough. The first usually is, but this was unusually difficult. Made more difficult by the 4x4 equipment in the way. Would have been easier by far if a 4x2. My truck was built only a month before I did the first oil change. So it isn't like it had been sitting for a long time. They really do crank 'em on at the factory. I tried several devices, ended up using a pliers type of filter wrench. Smashed the filter up real good.

I changed oil again 4k miles later. The filter I'd put on earlier came off nice and easy. Still need a wrench, but a simple rubber strap wrench works fine. I wish I could understand why that first filter is so hard to get off. You'd think that much twist on the filter would warp the metal body.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first filter change was rough. The first usually is, but this was unusually difficult. Made more difficult by the 4x4 equipment in the way. Would have been easier by far if a 4x2. My truck was built only a month before I did the first oil change. So it isn't like it had been sitting for a long time. They really do crank 'em on at the factory. I tried several devices, ended up using a pliers type of filter wrench. Smashed the filter up real good.

I changed oil again 4k miles later. The filter I'd put on earlier came off nice and easy. Still need a wrench, but a simple rubber strap wrench works fine. I wish I could understand why that first filter is so hard to get off. You'd think that much twist on the filter would warp the metal body.
I think it's a combination of Harambe's father screwing them on and not putting any oil on the rubber seal/gasket before installation.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I took my original filter off by hand. But I’m a former power lifter and saw it as a personal challenge ;)
I am a former power lifter too! Unfortunately it has been former for quite some time and now I have more power in my belly than my chest 😕. I let the guys at the shop change it.....

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
No need to tighten the oil filter with wrench or strap, make contact with o ring on filter & go 1/4 to 1/2 turn by hand, your next service will be much more pleasant. Don’t forget to lube the new gasket, & make sure the old one comes off. I work on heavy equipment & change thousands of filters every year. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread