5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch-can results

Blizzak454

Reaction score
Installed a catch-can about a 1000 miles ago. Checked it, and low and behold, got a decent amount of "catch" - probably 3 ounces. I keep my cars for a long time (previous car was 19 years old with 340k miles) so I figure it can't be bad to keep the engine as clean as possible.

Attachments

• 20241009_162423.jpg
    20241009_162423.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240921_131126.jpg
    20240921_131126.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 84
Can't beat the price for what you get with that. I run a CC on pretty much everything anymore. Might be less of an issue for non GDI engines but anything I can do to keep crud from building up inside the intake system is a benefit. I see the benefits every time I empty them.

How important are these catch cans? I’ve had 4 Rams, 3-1500s with 5.7 and one 2500 6.4. I haven’t kept them long enough to see any engine issues. Does installing them void the factory warranty?

The general rule of thought is that they are not needed in port injection engines (which includes the 5.7 Hemi). A catch can probably won't prolong the life of your engine. Knowing that a clean engine runs more efficiently than a dirty engine, it could theoretically help a small amount with maintaining fuel economy and/or performance as an engine ages.

Adding a catch can won't void any warranties unless they can prove that's what caused a failure that happens at any point after the catch can was installed. If you're worried about it you can simply remove it before taking it in for service or repair. Most of them can easily be removed without leaving any sign it was ever there.

How important are these catch cans? I’ve had 4 Rams, 3-1500s with 5.7 and one 2500 6.4. I haven’t kept them long enough to see any engine issues. Does installing them void the factory warranty?

They are not important in the slightest for the 5.7. The 5.7 is a port injected engine so any oil that gets by will be diluted and cleaned from the valves by the gasoline from the injector's. Might be some benefit to the new Hurricane engine as it is direct injected.

They are not important in the slightest for the 5.7. The 5.7 is a port injected engine so any oil that gets by will be diluted and cleaned from the valves by the gasoline from the injector's. Might be some benefit to the new Hurricane engine as it is direct injected.
Oil still gets I to combustion chamber, burned and deposits formed on tops of pistons and exhaust valves, which can lead to detonation and lowered performance. They DO help, but as mentioned, probably won't prolong he life on the engine

Oil still gets I to combustion chamber, burned and deposits formed on tops of pistons and exhaust valves, which can lead to detonation and lowered performance. They DO help, but as mentioned, probably won't prolong he life on the engine

I don't believe this for a second. He showed about 3 ounces of oil in 1000 miles. Given an average MPG of 17 that tiny 3 ounces would have been diluted by about 60 GALLONS of fuel.

I don't believe this for a second. He showed about 3 ounces of oil in 1000 miles. Given an average MPG of 17 that tiny 3 ounces would have been diluted by about 60 GALLONS of fuel.
Then don't buy or install a catch can. Those of us that use them aren't going to change our minds anymore than you are changing yours

Then don't buy or install a catch can. Those of us that use them aren't going to change our minds anymore than you are changing yours

My responses were not intended for the stubborn. They are intended to educate those with an open mind and ability to think logically who might otherwise be influenced to waste their money on gadgets that have absolutely no benefit just because someone on the internet said it's important.

The fact is and oil catch can serves no valuable function on a port injected engine, like the 5.7 hemi, but can be beneficial on a direct injected engine, like the Hurricane.

Here's my 2 cents...

My Challenger SRT392 right from new had the slightest wiff of oil smell at times..and so does my Laramie G/T 5.7

I added a Billet Technologies CC to the Challenger and after that it didn't smell at all anymore.

I just ordered a UPR CC last night (5038-210-1) on Ebay after UPR sent me a $11 off deal.

For a minimal investment, I've done this to almost every modern V8 I've had.

Oil in your intake doesn't improve performance that's for sure!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241014_123625.jpg
    Screenshot_20241014_123625.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
My responses were not intended for the stubborn. They are intended to educate those with an open mind and ability to think logically who might otherwise be influenced to waste their money on gadgets that have absolutely no benefit just because someone on the internet said it's important.

The fact is and oil catch can serves no valuable function on a port injected engine, like the 5.7 hemi, but can be beneficial on a direct injected engine, like the Hurricane.
Or, hear me out, those with an open mind can listen to both sides and decide if not allowing extra contamination into the intake manifold and combustion chamber is something they desire.

You see, there are things to educate people on, looking from both sides. Your have no scientific data to support your claim, yet almost every high performance race engine uses catch cans. And even some European cars come with them from the factory.

I can prove that I am preventing the extra oil, water, and fuel from getting into the combustion chamber. Which, to those who run catch cans, is a "valuable function". You can't prove that allowing that crap go in has no effect on long term vehicle performance. It's just your opinion.

Or, hear me out, those with an open mind can listen to both sides and decide if not allowing extra contamination into the intake manifold and combustion chamber is something they desire.

You see, there are things to educate people on, looking from both sides. Your have no scientific data to support your claim, yet almost every high performance race engine uses catch cans. And even some European cars come with them from the factory.

I can prove that I am preventing the extra oil, water, and fuel from getting into the combustion chamber. Which, to those who run catch cans, is a "valuable function". You can't prove that allowing that crap go in has no effect on long term vehicle performance. It's just your opinion.
100% accurate. (y)

I appreciate the input from both sides, it never hurts to hear multiple arguments and decide for myself. I’m just amazed that my ‘24 so far has the best mpg of any 5.7 hemi I’ve owned. ‘14, ‘19, ‘22, ‘24. So far I’ve gotten 20.1, 18.5, & 19 mpg. 3.21 rear

All you got there is condensation. Once the weather cools expect a lot more.

Only one that gains from you installing one of these is the person selling them.

I appreciate the input from both sides, it never hurts to hear multiple arguments and decide for myself. I’m just amazed that my ‘24 so far has the best mpg of any 5.7 hemi I’ve owned. ‘14, ‘19, ‘22, ‘24. So far I’ve gotten 20.1, 18.5, & 19 mpg. 3.21 rear
I agree with you..and also, my heavy loaded '24 with 3.92 rear easily gets the same mpgs..🤗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back