5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Capacity Change?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I owned a 14 ecodiesel and it took 10.5 quarts of oil. I have a new truck on order and just got the welcome packet, so I downloaded the manual to give it a read. I was surprised to see it lists the oil capacity at 8.5 qts. This is the 1500 truck manual and nowhere on here does it mention the Jeep which I thought was 8.5 quarts. I am pointing this out because another member posted he did his first oil change (second on the truck) and it was 1.5 quarts low. I am thinking an oil jockey just got it in his head ecodiesels are 8.5 quarts and never checked. There may be a capacity change, and not too sure when. I will have 12 quarts on hand when the time comes to do my first change but will start checking fill level at 8.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it takes me 2 gallons and a quart and a half to hit the full mark on the dipstick after a thorough oil change and new filter. By thorough, I mean letting it drain for an hour then using a suction tool to suck all the oil out and also clean out of the filter housing.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Jeep with the identical powertrain lists 9 quarts. Don't worry about it so much. Just put 9 in and call it a day.

P.S. I HATE the dipstick on these engines.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I find it takes me 2 gallons and a quart and a half to hit the full mark on the dipstick after a thorough oil change and new filter. By thorough, I mean letting it drain for an hour then using a suction tool to suck all the oil out and also clean out of the filter housing.
What year is yours?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘ve done 2 oil changes on mine. First time I put in 8 quarts, let it run for a while and then put in another 1/2 qt. I just did my second oile change this past Sunday and put in 8.5 qts right away. Going to check the oil again tonight when i get home. I assume it will be where it’s supposed to be

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
2020 Longhorn 4x4 EcoD. AFAIK there's no capacity changes for any packages, all the gen3 ecod are the same.
Got it I had a Gen 1. Glad I took the time to read the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread