5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil burn?

thebigalboski

Reaction score
Anyone else’s Hemi burn a little oil between changes? Decided to check my oil and was a little below the add line. Took about a quart to top it back off.
Oil life is at 34%, so I’ve got about 5-6k since last change. Truck has 27k on it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was a little below the add line, did you get add oil light at that level?

How long did you drive before you checked the oil level? If you turned on the engine briefly and shut if off before the oil reached operating temp, you could have gotten a low oil reading on the dip stick. Even hours later.

If so, double check again, drive until the oil reaches at least 200F and 5 mins after shut down. It wouldn't explain being down a whole quart, but certainly half a quart, and maybe you weren't so low. Mainly because I'm surprised you didn't get a low oil warning beforehand.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else’s Hemi burn a little oil between changes? Decided to check my oil and was a little below the add line. Took about a quart to top it back off.
Oil life is at 34%, so I’ve got about 5-6k since last change. Truck has 27k on it.
Yep. My last oil change at about 6k on the oil. 6 quarts came out. And it was definitely on the dark side....damn Darth Vader must've been in there causing rucus. This was after mainly highway driving in the summer where it was around 120 degrees out. So ambient temperature definitely affects it (contrary to popular belief). I won't go over 6k miles between oil changes now. Oh...and that was Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic too. I Put Mobil 1 in this time... we'll see how that performs.

thebigalboski

Reaction score

How long did you drive before you checked the oil level? If you turned on the engine briefly and shut if off before the oil reached operating temp, you could have gotten a low oil reading on the dip stick. Even hours later.

If so, double check again, drive until the oil reaches at least 200F and 5 mins after shut down. It wouldn't explain being down a whole quart, but certainly half a quart, and maybe you weren't so low. Mainly because I'm surprised you didn't get a low oil warning beforehand.
Definitely did not get an add oil light. I had driven the truck just to town and back (a mile or two) earlier and it sat for a couple hours since.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Definitely did not get an add oil light. I had driven the truck just to town and back (a mile or two) earlier and it sat for a couple hours since.

Then it should have been enough to get an accurate reading. I haven't noticed any oil consumption with mine, but your amount isn't considered excessive either. I would keep an eye on it, check on the next fill up and if good, keep checking maybe every 1000 miles.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There's no add oil light.

Krootz

Reaction score
You may want to invest in an oil catch can. Might help you keep track of what you’re losing between changes

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously? Wow, that's surprising. Even my 27 year old Ranger has one. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking more often.
Are you sure you're not thinking about the oil pressure light? If that comes on you have big problems.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread