5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road: Pics, Stories, Impressions, Info

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody care to share? Whatcha got, whatcha know, howd ya feel?

Is Ram a mouse or monster off road?

Any upgraded differentials out there?

Did eLocker ever save your butt?

Opinions on essential gear?

All comments welcome.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nobody goes wheelin in their Ram? What about emergency gear; anybody carry a compact shovel or first aid kit or some sort of nifty blanket?

I carry this in my Durango, Smittybuilt 2781. It does well for being on the small end of portable pumps.

2019-01-31 20_45_27-Window.png

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not a serious, rock crawling off roader but do drive off road often, especially in pastures/fields with dirt/grass lanes. I do drive slow down these lanes which can be rough and slick so the e-locker is perfectly suited for me. Here is a pic of a lane crossing the ditch and one in a pasture, BDB58CDC-8299-4B1E-8CBB-38B5C6C06F8A.jpeg 4E57FDBF-6D6C-4DE5-9AF8-4C45B303F2B8.jpeg borrowed it from the “Snowed Up Ram” thread.:whistle: The land is all fairly flat here so not to exciting. Like I said, not a serious off roader but what the heck!;)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flat land is good! Try Missouri where the rocky hills wear ya out.

Are you able to get around in that kind of snow without the rear locked; relying just on traction control in 4HI or 4LO?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flat land is good! Try Missouri where the rocky hills wear ya out.

Are you able to get around in that kind of snow without the rear locked; relying just on traction control in 4HI or 4LO?
Yes, basically just 4H, or even 2WD. Diff lock not really needed in these pictures, even in the deeper snow drifts that are not shown here. Besides hauling a few items throughout the pastures I leave around 800# in the bed just for traction weight. With the weight I could navigate these lanes with the small amount of snow like in the pictures in 2H, especially with the locker on. The weight makes all the difference. It’s hard to say what kind of snow it would go through with the taller narrower tires that are on it, 4L, e-locker on, and the 800# of weight, haven’t come close to stopping it yet!;)

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Did some serious end of season duck hunting 5 days in a row took the truck off road. I have the 2” mopar lift with stock tires never had to hit the 4 weel drive, but the truck rides like a luxury car off road. Did some long bumpy desert dunes and
the ride is civilized for a crew cab for sure.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Tow strap, jumpers, first aide kit, and a dewalt 18 volt impact gun and battery, for duck boat and truck wheels.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
34's look RIGHT on that truck!

I was hoping to hear someone say the Ram gets around pretty good with just traction control. I'm considering getting open diffs :geek:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hows the MPG did it change with those tires?
I really don’t have a good comparison. When I purchased the truck in July I lifted it and put 35’s on it within 200 miles. I sold the stock tires to a friend then put these 275/65 tires on the stock wheels for the winter and took the 35’s off and put them on the beginning of December. Also around that time with colder weather I am idling more, starting to let warm up, and so on. With the 35’s in the summer I was right at 16mpg on paper. With these 275’s (which are technically 34’s) I am anywhere between 14.5 and 15 mpg, but this is with the winter grade gasoline and more idle time.

U

User_7869

Hows the MPG did it change with those tires?
I have 35's on mine and get lousy mileage so far. I've only had this truck for a couple of weeks, but am seeing around 12-13 mpg city driving. I need to take a road trip to see what I'll get there.

Users who are viewing this thread