5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Of Heart Attacks and Fly Fishing

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

14 months ago I had what they call "the Widowmaker". I had a 100% blockage and my Cardiologist told me he didn't know why I was alive. He also said that my heart was badly damaged and that I would probably be pretty restricted in my physical abilities for the rest of my life. Now, I love fly fishing and I love doing it in Hot Creek. But, the trek down and back out of the gorge at 8600ft is a bit of an excercise after hours and miles on the water. If I couldn't do that then I really didn't want to live. This weekend I acheived my goal and got some fishing done in Bishop and Hot Creek.
LOotruck.jpg
00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwnoJXkZcl8hpzC-gOsD6QKOKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwk8APQUIIIv8PqKGh6WLpUrVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1650246559
00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwnDQ-W0lqfC9tfLSyfDs3CxrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwkf5XNK3T0HPAChVqprkQqT5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. I wouldn't want to live without that either once I'd had it.

DOFF

Reaction score
Glad your doing well! Nice catches. We head back up to Rock Creek in June for our trip. Can’t wait to get back to the upper Owens.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Congrats on your second chance! Those are some great pics, and a sharp truck!

flinstigator

Reaction score
Awesome you were able to get back out there and enjoy what you love to do in your Rebel of course! Any lift on it or did you accomplish that look with the Bilsteins?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad your doing well! Nice catches. We head back up to Rock Creek in June for our trip. Can’t wait to get back to the upper Owens.
It snowed so hard at Upper Owens we had to boogie out of there. My hands got so frozen I couldn't even thread my rod.

Last edited:

70runner

Reaction score
Congrats on surviving! My own encounter with the Widowmaker happened a little over 2yrs ago. Doing daily stationary bike/swimming exercises, noticed chest "tightness". Went to regular doc. EKG, BP, blood tests, xrays, no issues. Scheduled me for a cardio stress test. Night before stress test, layed down to sleep and felt chest discomfort. Off to emergency. Long story short, stent inserted to mitigate 99% blockage of Widowmaker. Cardi doc said the daily bicycling over 30+yrs saved my life by establishing alternate routes for blood flow. Pointed them out on the snapshots from the angiogram. He left me with following advice, which I pass on as much as I can: consider unusual chest tightness, discomfort, et al., as chest pain and get to a hospital. Stat.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on surviving! My own encounter with the Widowmaker happened a little over 2yrs ago. Doing daily stationary bike/swimming exercises, noticed chest "tightness". Went to regular doc. EKG, BP, blood tests, xrays, no issues. Scheduled me for a cardio stress test. Night before stress test, layed down to sleep and felt chest discomfort. Off to emergency. Long story short, stent inserted to mitigate 99% blockage of Widowmaker. Cardi doc said the daily bicycling over 30+yrs saved my life by establishing alternate routes for blood flow. Pointed them out on the snapshots from the angiogram. He left me with following advice, which I pass on as much as I can: consider unusual chest tightness, discomfort, et al., as chest pain and get to a hospital. Stat.
That is fortunate that you felt the pain. I felt nothing except shortness of breath after exersion. I'm very glad you are ok.

DOFF

Reaction score
It snow so hard at Upper Owens we had to boogie out of there. My hands got so frozen I couldn't even thread my rod.
That’s nuts. We’re camping Yosemite right now and someone said they’re calling for snow Thursday. Man that’d be a sight

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
When it's your time it's your time and this wasnt your time. Glad you made it through your ordeal. Now it's time to enjoy the rest of your life. Stay safe

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s nuts. We’re camping Yosemite right now and someone said they’re calling for snow Thursday. Man that’d be a sight
This is the Green Church at 120 and 395.

Attachments

• Green Church.jpg
    Green Church.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 23

DOFF

Reaction score
This is the Green Church at 120 and 395.
Crazy. Hopefully it’s all clear when I go in June. Here’s today on the 41 south entrance to Yosemite. Might try to make it back tomorrow for some fun in the snow. Depends how the 3yo and 6yo do haha. Had to get in a couple pics of the truck haha

Attachments

• 0A2C7A46-16BC-4FC8-BC25-F4383AF19915.jpeg
    0A2C7A46-16BC-4FC8-BC25-F4383AF19915.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 20
  • AC2642BE-745E-4056-9F77-8B63A2C0FEF2.jpeg
    AC2642BE-745E-4056-9F77-8B63A2C0FEF2.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 20

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

14 months ago I had what they call "the Widowmaker". I had a 100% blockage and my Cardiologist told me he didn't know why I was alive. He also said that my heart was badly damaged and that I would probably be pretty restricted in my physical abilities for the rest of my life. Now, I love fly fishing and I love doing it in Hot Creek. But, the trek down and back out of the gorge at 8600ft is a bit of an excercise after hours and miles on the water. If I couldn't do that then I really didn't want to live. This weekend I acheived my goal and got some fishing done in Bishop and Hot Creek.
View attachment 126828
00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwnoJXkZcl8hpzC-gOsD6QKOKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwk8APQUIIIv8PqKGh6WLpUrVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1650246559
00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwnDQ-W0lqfC9tfLSyfDs3CxrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-7GtixXvTxYGloteo1aP1Nm0tYJouOCHcmXm1tJdLKwkf5XNK3T0HPAChVqprkQqT5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg
Glad your still around to enjoy things in life, especially fishing! Keep getting out and enjoying life, we just never know when it may end! On a side note, I hope your ram is more reliable then my 19 was and now my 21! 😩 I love to fish, trout fish👍🏻

Attachments

• E46C7E73-EDC6-4E51-B204-8C00F3CB10F6.jpeg
    E46C7E73-EDC6-4E51-B204-8C00F3CB10F6.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 10

HAL9001

Reaction score
Never listen to the doctors. I went through the same thing. The cardiologist told me I had a 100% blockage widowmaker that affected 2/3rds of my heart with permanent damage. They rushed me off to the cath lab for stent insertion. My blood pressure was near 0 and he said that I should be dead. I ended up in intensive care and they told me I might not make it through the night.

15 years later I'm still playing competitive singles tennis 2-3 times a week in my mid-60s with highly skilled opponents half my age, hiking, mountain biking, boating, and thoroughly enjoying life. I've been on three 10 miles hikes just in the last week and I'm going out for another 10-mile hike today. I have a 35-mile mountain biking trip scheduled for early next week and soon I'll be out on my sailboat.

I've never had a problem with my heart again, if I ever do, I have no fears about it. So please take your meds, eat healthy, stay in shape, and don't let this one setback define the rest of your life.

Congratulations on your recovery, one heart patient to another. Enjoy your life and live it to its fullest.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never listen to the doctors. I went through the same thing. The cardiologist told me I had a 100% blockage widowmaker that affected 2/3rds of my heart with permanent damage. They rushed me off to the cath lab for stent insertion. My blood pressure was near 0 and he said that I should be dead. I ended up in intensive care and they told me I might not make it through the night.

15 years later I'm still playing competitive singles tennis 2-3 times a week in my mid-60s with highly skilled opponents half my age, hiking, mountain biking, boating, and thoroughly enjoying life. I've been on three 10 miles hikes just in the last week and I'm going out for another 10-mile hike today. I have a 35-mile mountain biking trip scheduled for early next week and soon I'll be out on my sailboat.

I've never had a problem with my heart again, if I ever do, I have no fears about it. So please take your meds, eat healthy, stay in shape, and don't let this one setback define the rest of your life.

Congratulations on your recovery, one heart patient to another. Enjoy your life and live it to its fullest.
Good for you my friend. Thanks for the words of encouragment.

Users who are viewing this thread