5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd transmission shifting habits 5.7 E-torque

Steve Brucher

Reaction score
I have a 19 1500 5.7L E-torue with about 44K miles. I will try and explain the situation. When coming to a slow rolling stop the transmission hangs in 3rd until I either come to a complete stop for a second or so. If I try to roll through, say to pull out of a parking lot, or don't wait until I see it in 1st in the dash there is a very noticeable delay in the pedal so much so that I have almost been hit a couple times in city traffic. If I give it enough gas it will slam into first and take off like a teenager who isn't making the car payment (which I enjoyed doing 30 years ago) and spin the tires at least until the TCS kicks in so I look like even more of an idiot- not cool when you are pulling out of the school parking lot dropping my kid off. I am thinking a couple different things as it seems to have become more noticeable and frequent lately, especially after I drive my 16 6.4L 2500. 1st- possibly the E-torque system is not making off idle power or at least not fast enough to smooth that out. 2nd- some type of programming issue with the trans? 3rd- an actual mechanical problem. Every dealer I talk to says this is normal but I don't remember it being like this until recently and it runs/shifts fantastic everywhere else. It is almost undrivable and dangerous at times. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I think this is just the way Ram has programmed these transmissions. My 22 non e-torque does it although I wouldn’t describe it to the extreme with tires spinning. My previous 18 4th gen also did it. They just don’t want to drop to 1st until you are at a dead stop. It is pretty annoying for sure.

Steve Brucher

Reaction score
Are there any programmers or tuners that eliminate the delay in downshifting? I should have mentioned that it is winter here so the spinning tires is more pronounced in this weather. On a dry day it just I keep giving it gas and it doesn't really go until it drops to first and puts you back in the seat if you haven't come to a complete stop. It is very abrupt and not as fun as it sounds. Kind of like an old 2 stroke MX bike- no power, no power, full power, except you are driving in traffic. I will check the fluid and unhook the battery. Unfortunately, I hit a tree laying in the road after a storm so it's still at the body shop. I also have a 2018 3500 Dually with the 6.7 Cummins/Aisian Trans that I am driving now. It also has some odd shifting habits but nothing like I described earlier. I had 17 Fords prior to these 3 Rams and none were perfect. I do overall like them but the problem I'm describing makes me want to look at other brands again.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Sounds like your shift map needs to be reprogrammed, or updated.

I think it's a gas mileage thing. Keep it in the highest gear for as long as possible. I had a 2016 GMC Canyon that would stay in 6th (highest for that year) until it coasted 20 mph or so. If you accelerated, it would just lug the engine, staying in 6th. If you needed to go, you would have to push the accelerator nearly to the floor - then it would jump down to 2nd and take off like a bat out of hell. No in between until I got a tune from Trifecta; solved everything. Unfortunately, they deal exclusively with GM products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online