5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Occasional hard shift from 2nd to 3rd

jc312

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed on my 2020 Ram 1500 it occasionally has a bit of a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. Not every time, but around 30% of the time to put a figure on it. None of the other shifts seem to have this problem. Also, I may be imagining things, but I seem to notice the downshift engine breaking more, esp. when it downshifts to 4th when stopping. It seemed to not do that before, but maybe I'm just hyper-aware now that I'm focusing on the trans behavior

It's funny, I hardly ever seem to feel the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd when making a turn. Only during straight line takeoffs. I accelerate pretty slowly and smoothly. Faster accelerations I don't feel it

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hard shift or long gap between shift?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine has a hard shift/long gap 2nd to 3rd occasionally, seems to only happen during mid to heavy mid throttle. I think here might be a TSB for the early non e-torque models.

I also occasionally have a strange shift going from 7th to 8th, feels like it jumps into gear

Ramtrucks9290

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed on my 2020 Ram 1500 it occasionally has a bit of a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. Not every time, but around 30% of the time to put a figure on it. None of the other shifts seem to have this problem. Also, I may be imagining things, but I seem to notice the downshift engine breaking more, esp. when it downshifts to 4th when stopping. It seemed to not do that before, but maybe I'm just hyper-aware now that I'm focusing on the trans behavior

It's funny, I hardly ever seem to feel the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd when making a turn. Only during straight line takeoffs. I accelerate pretty slowly and smoothly. Faster accelerations I don't feel it
Mine does the same thing. 2nd to 3rd is just a little off. I find it happens most frequently when I let off the gas for a sec, then go back on immediately like in traffic. Almost like the computer was planning on going to 1st to stop, but I gave it gas instead and threw it off.

rebellion55

Reaction score
I have the same issue but from 1st to 2nd. If I left off the gas, it's like it get's confused and doesn't know if it should shift or not, then it does kind of late and is jerky, sometimes really hard. I can't figure it out, and the couple of shops I took it to can't duplicate it. It's annoying enough I'm just going to trade this stupid truck in.

Goodboy

Reaction score
I have the same problem. 2022 ram 1500 sport.
I took it to the dealership and ya I got the can't replicate the issue.

I'm able to replicate it... from a stop I mildly accelerate then before it shifts into 2nd either lay off the throttle or apply mild brake... And it'll hard shift almost every time. Only faults when you are braking or coasting on flat or mild downhill. There are at times when the shift is so violent that it jerks your head and the truck leaps forward a foot or 2. First time it happens 7 months ago I actually thought I got rear-ended lol.

My dealership is now aware of the problem and I've been told it's now with Chrysler Canada tech support.

I haven't heard from them in over 2 months!

Not happy!

Users who are viewing this thread