5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ocassional switch into 4WD just to keep it lubed?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any benefit or need to occasionally put the drivetrain into 4wd High even for a few yards just to lube any pieces and parts that would normally not be engaged in 2wd mode? I remember years ago when I owned a silverado, it was suggested by the dealer's technician to switch into 4wd every several weeks just to move lubrication around. Not sure if that makes any sense today.

GerryS

Reaction score
Is there any benefit or need to occasionally put the drivetrain into 4wd High even for a few yards just to lube any pieces and parts that would normally not be engaged in 2wd mode? I remember years ago when I owned a silverado, it was suggested by the dealer's technician to switch into 4wd every several weeks just to move lubrication around. Not sure if that makes any sense today.

On my 2004 Sierra, I switched to 4wd high at least once a year in the winter. No ill effects after 15 years. It can't hurt to do it more often, but I don't think it's necessary.

Gerry

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I put mine in 4WD auto, but in inclement weather for better traction. As far as keeping everything ‘lubed’, IDK about that. We‘re talking about sealed units full of lubrication. Can’t get any more ’lubed’ than that, so not sure where this got started.

Cheers,

cra1g

Reaction score
I put mine in 4WD auto, but in inclement weather for better traction. As far as keeping everything ‘lubed’, IDK about that. We‘re talking about sealed units full of lubrication. Can’t get any more ’lubed’ than that, so not sure where this got started.

Cheers,

This is just my opinion, with no data to back it up, but it seems to me that lube could "migrate" due to gravity, and you if you never engage 4wd and give the gears a spin, they could end up not having a protective coating. If there's any moisture in there (and there will always be some moisture), then you could end up with a bit of rust on the gears. Maybe enough to matter; maybe not. I use 4wd auto at the merge-lane drag races, er, I mean, in a responsible manner just to lubricate the gears. ;)

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I suspect I won't destroy the 4wd if I roll it in 4wd for 50 yards every month or 2. Besides, warranty says 8/100 so I'm playing with house money for the next 7 years 11 months 2 weeks.... :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I suspect I won't destroy the 4wd if I roll it in 4wd for 50 yards every month or 2. Besides, warranty says 8/100 so I'm playing with house money for the next 7 years 11 months 2 weeks.... :)
You can run it in 4WD auto full time without hurting anything. I did this for a about a week or two when I first bought mine. It only engages when it loses traction.

Cheers,

Ranger

Reaction score
Another reason to cycle the transfer case periodically is so that if there are any Gremlins in there, you can get them resolved under warranty. Once your warranty coverage ends, cycling for oil recirc and changing the resting position of the gears and shafts is personal preference.

While it's under warranty, use as many features of your truck as possible as much as you can. Better to find out what doesn't work before your warranty expires IMHO...

Cardsarge

Reaction score
My last truck was a 2010 Ford F150 FX4. In the last two years of ownership, I would get the dreaded wrench icon if i shifted to 4 wheel drive. The guys at the transmission shop said that the truck was actually going into 4x4, but the rotating assembly that the sensor sees was not moving enough. He said to put the truck into 4x4 mode every month or so to keep things free. I use that same philosophy on my Ram.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I live in CO, so basically, we have quite a few months where I would be running in auto a lot, I have never had to mess with doing it routinely, change the transfer case oil and gear lube when called for, and never had a problem. 206000 miles on 03, 116000 on 12.

Lize

Reaction score
I sometimes put mine into 4 high when pulling away from a particular junction to get traction as its always very slippery and can be a job to pull out into fast moving traffic. The Raptor used to bounce the back end really badly in 2wd, the Rebel doesn't bounce but I have had it start sliding and I think its a good thing to engage it now and again, probably I'd hardly ever use it otherwise.

Whargarbl

Reaction score
I do it not so much for the gears but for the clutches that engage 4wd.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

magic280z

Reaction score
Thats a good teminder. Running it in 4A wont “lube” anything extra unless road conditions allow for spinning tires. If all you do is drive in good cobditions it should never engage.
Take my wife's RAM for instance... if theres any possibility if inclement weather, in the garage the white whale sits, and we take out the old Ford AWD with dedicated snows.
Shocking I know.
4 auto engages the front diff which turns the front driveshaft spinning the front drive portion of the transfer case. The auto part is clutches providing drive power to the front wheels on rear slip. The front portion being partially engaged will spin the chain drive and gears throwing oil all around everything in the transfer case. I would still engage 4high and 4lo whenever you can, but this should not be done on pavement or at least stick to a straight line. As big and heavy as these trucks are the drivetrain binding when turning can break things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I've always done this on every truck I've owned. Same for my tractors ATVs, etc. Exercising the servos or actuators may help keep them from seizing.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
4 auto engages the front diff which turns the front driveshaft spinning the front drive portion of the transfer case. The auto part is clutches providing drive power to the front wheels on rear slip. The front portion being partially engaged will spin the chain drive and gears throwing oil all around everything in the transfer case. I would still engage 4high and 4lo whenever you can, but this should not be done on pavement or at least stick to a straight line. As big and heavy as these trucks are the drivetrain binding when turning can break things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the clarification. I deleted my erroneous post reply about 4A not allowing for lubrication.
One concern though, wouldn’t mileage suffer, maybe up to 10% ish? More rolling resistance.

jabara572

Reaction score
Back when i had a K10 with manual hubs i didnt engage 4wd for about a year (Georgia) and it lightly RUSTED the top half of the ring gear that was not sitting in oil. So yes I absolutely will always engage 4wd periodically to slosh the lube around in there. This front axle disengages the CVs so your ring gear will sit in the exact same spot if you never engage 4wd. FWIW

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...put the truck into 4x4 mode every month or so to keep things free.
Those are the words I've lived by with my 4wd vehicles. If I don't off-road that month I will take a free morning at the end of the month, find 10 miles or so of dirt and drive it in 4wd. I'll cycle through all the modes to give them some 'exercise'.

It may be overkill but it gives me peace of mind...and a reason to get off the beaten path to take a break and enjoy a little nature. (y)

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It rains enough that putting it in 4WD Auto will happen on a regular basis. (y)

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
my wife inherited a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in 2005 almost new.. has 240K on it now.. she never puts it into 4WD (dont need it here).. but eveytime I try it it's working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread