5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations on a New Rebel

Snekpete

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself, I am Pete. My 2004 F150 gave it up two weeks ago and necessity forced my hand, I needed another truck NOW! I don't really like the new Fords with their ecoboost nonsense and GM is out of the question after what they did in 2009 so for the first time in forty years I started looking at Chrysler, even if Fiat does own it. I really fell for the Power Wagon with it's great color selections but I didn't like the rear seat setup with the fold down flooring. I finally found a Rebel that I liked in PA about 120 miles from home. After making a deal for 1K under MSRP the dealer still managed to clip me for $350 by charging PA title and registration when I'm registering it in Maryland. Oh well.

I picked her up last Thursday, an absolutely beautiful truck, comfortable, quiet, handles very well and pretty fast. Horrible gas mileage but I can live with that, it's no worse than my old F150. The technology is incredible, just astounding but I cringe to think what can happen is something breaks or malfunctions.

First observation: Get the collision avoidance and park assist off, get the auto stop eliminator to remember the start/stop setting (off). Turn off the auto parking brake. The tow disengage could probably be used as an anti-theft device if the truck is going to sit for a spell. I doubt that most people even now it's there, the dealer didn't.

Second observation: The truck is indeed a hybrid (eTorque) and the starter/generator slows the monster down on deacceleration, and it does smooth out SOME shifts, but not all. The lead battery voltage stays around 13.8 until fully charged and then drops to 13, I suspect that this is to increase efficiency rather than holding a constant 14.2 like the old style regulators. When slowing to enter a 90 degree turn the truck seems sluggish, I can understand why some people may have trouble with them stalling, it wouldn't take much at this point with the generator drag, any little problem like fuel or spark issues cold cause a stall in this configuration. The 12 volt starter is TINY.

Third Observation: The suspension is truly spectacular! The truck handles almost as well as my Mustang. There is a chrome ball on the front upper control arm, both sides, that looks like a socket could attach? The access cover for the spare tire winch slides up and down, not in and out. I almost broke it, the tab is a giveaway but an arrow would really make it clear. My spare tire is a Faulken and neither it nor the rim match the other four, although the spare rim is cast aluminum and not steel and looks high quality from the bottom.

Fourth Observation: Two serpentines, a big one for the starter/generator and a small one for the water pump. The radiator fan and power steering are electrically powered, good, the brakes vacuum boosted. The oil filter is tiny but that's fine, modern motors really don't need an oil filter, there is NEVER anything in them. Air cooled motors are different, but even many Lycomings don't use oil filters, the filters are holdover from earlier times and dirt roads. I am not a fan of the fake dual exhaust, a single tailpipe out the side would be fine and a lot easier and cheaper to replace when the time comes. No special break in is needed on modern motors, unless you only do highway driving, but even then just don't use cruise control. I'm not even going to change the oil after the first 1,000 like I've always done before. Factory filled with 5W-20 synthetic is fine for break in. After 5,000 I'll switch to 10W-30. Did you know that 5W-20 is really 5 weight oil and 10-30 is really 10 weight oil?

Fifth observation: The trans doesn't have a dipstick. It's not sealed, it can't be, and neither are the differentials but I won't change any of their oils for 100,000 miles, the factory fill is fine. I REALLY like the 9 user configurable gauges! Putting the trans in 8th pops up the current gear display on the dash, I like that too along with the gear limit. The Alpine 9 speaker stereo sound system is very good, love XM, 70 Yacht Rock, hah! The truck is very comfortable and quiet, great for road trips.

I know that I'm forgetting stuff but hey I'm still learning. Got a Gator bed rug and retractable tonneau cover, the bed is factory spray lined. So far I really, really like this truck. I just hope that it doesn't get Gremlins and turn nightmarish.

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
I drove a 2008 F150 King Ranch up until 2018. Drove beautifully and never really had any issues at all. Then after about 110k miles a few $1000 repair jobs were needed, then a few more. Time for a new truck. I was all in for a new F150 in April 2019, then I visited RAM who had just realised the new 5th Gen. The new RAM interior got me as it did most people and the exterior also. Never liked the exterior look of all the 4th Gen RAM. Purchased a REBEL (12package) and never looked back. Sure the TRX has 700bhp but put a TRX and my modified REBEL in the soft sand/steep dunes and it will down to driver skill on who wins.

I would remove the sunroof option though, creates alot of wind noise and is pretty pointless. Would be great to have paddle shifters, HUD and air cooled seats as options on the REBEL but otherwise she's a sweet truck.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new Ram.

Out of curiosity, why do you suggest disabling auto parking brake?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I disabled it on my truck because I don’t always give the truck enough time to auto release the brake when starting and shifting into drive or reverse, manually releasing it is no fun.

I would suggest sticking to the oil weight recommended on your oil fill cap until your warranty runs out just to avoid any potential issues.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Snekpete , careful changing the oil weight, the VVT system might give you an error. I know it used to throw codes in the cars if the wrong oil weight was used, not sure if its the same in the trucks.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI that the new F150s also don't have an easily accessible trans dipstick. It was designed to not have the owner check the fluid level.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I would remove the sunroof option though, creates alot of wind noise and is pretty pointless.
I agree but on the positive side there are two more buttons to play with and if we ever get around to waxing these monsters it's a lot less surface area to cover.

Because of the issues that some folks claim to have that when the motor stalls then the parking brake slams the truck to a stop.

I disabled it on my truck because I don’t always give the truck enough time to auto release the brake when starting and shifting into drive or reverse, manually releasing it is no fun.

I would suggest sticking to the oil weight recommended on your oil fill cap until your warranty runs out just to avoid any potential issues.

@Snekpete , careful changing the oil weight, the VVT system might give you an error. I know it used to throw codes in the cars if the wrong oil weight was used, not sure if its the same in the trucks.
I believe that the oil viscosity and VVT system problem is a myth. On my 2016 Mustang GT I've run 10W-30 for years, summer and winter, without an issue. Ford actually specifies 10W-40 for the Australian versions with the same motor. Also, any oil, say 5W-20, experiences a much larger viscosity change going from 20 degrees F to 200 degrees F than the difference in viscosity between 5W-20 and 10W-30 at the same temperature. Yes the temperature induced viscosity change is transitory but it's still there and the motor has to deal with it. In any case I'll let you know how it works out, thanks.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that the oil viscosity and VVT system problem is a myth. On my 2016 Mustang GT I've run 10W-30 for years, summer and winter, without an issue. Ford actually specifies 10W-40 for the Australian versions with the same motor. Also, any oil, say 5W-20, experiences a much larger viscosity change going from 20 degrees F to 200 degrees F than the difference in viscosity between 5W-20 and 10W-30 at the same temperature. Yes the temperature induced viscosity change is transitory but it's still there and the motor has to deal with it. In any case I'll let you know how it works out, thanks.
I've seen the incorrect oil weight cause check engine lights in the LX cars with the 5.7. Again, it may be different in the trucks, but something to be mindful of, that's all.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself, I am Pete. My 2004 F150 gave it up two weeks ago and necessity forced my hand, I needed another truck NOW! I don't really like the new Fords with their ecoboost nonsense and GM is out of the question after what they did in 2009 so for the first time in forty years I started looking at Chrysler, even if Fiat does own it. I really fell for the Power Wagon with it's great color selections but I didn't like the rear seat setup with the fold down flooring. I finally found a Rebel that I liked in PA about 120 miles from home. After making a deal for 1K under MSRP the dealer still managed to clip me for $350 by charging PA title and registration when I'm registering it in Maryland. Oh well.

I picked her up last Thursday, an absolutely beautiful truck, comfortable, quiet, handles very well and pretty fast. Horrible gas mileage but I can live with that, it's no worse than my old F150. The technology is incredible, just astounding but I cringe to think what can happen is something breaks or malfunctions.

First observation: Get the collision avoidance and park assist off, get the auto stop eliminator to remember the start/stop setting (off). Turn off the auto parking brake. The tow disengage could probably be used as an anti-theft device if the truck is going to sit for a spell. I doubt that most people even now it's there, the dealer didn't.

Second observation: The truck is indeed a hybrid (eTorque) and the starter/generator slows the monster down on deacceleration, and it does smooth out SOME shifts, but not all. The lead battery voltage stays around 13.8 until fully charged and then drops to 13, I suspect that this is to increase efficiency rather than holding a constant 14.2 like the old style regulators. When slowing to enter a 90 degree turn the truck seems sluggish, I can understand why some people may have trouble with them stalling, it wouldn't take much at this point with the generator drag, any little problem like fuel or spark issues cold cause a stall in this configuration. The 12 volt starter is TINY.

Third Observation: The suspension is truly spectacular! The truck handles almost as well as my Mustang. There is a chrome ball on the front upper control arm, both sides, that looks like a socket could attach? The access cover for the spare tire winch slides up and down, not in and out. I almost broke it, the tab is a giveaway but an arrow would really make it clear. My spare tire is a Faulken and neither it nor the rim match the other four, although the spare rim is cast aluminum and not steel and looks high quality from the bottom.

Fourth Observation: Two serpentines, a big one for the starter/generator and a small one for the water pump. The radiator fan and power steering are electrically powered, good, the brakes vacuum boosted. The oil filter is tiny but that's fine, modern motors really don't need an oil filter, there is NEVER anything in them. Air cooled motors are different, but even many Lycomings don't use oil filters, the filters are holdover from earlier times and dirt roads. I am not a fan of the fake dual exhaust, a single tailpipe out the side would be fine and a lot easier and cheaper to replace when the time comes. No special break in is needed on modern motors, unless you only do highway driving, but even then just don't use cruise control. I'm not even going to change the oil after the first 1,000 like I've always done before. Factory filled with 5W-20 synthetic is fine for break in. After 5,000 I'll switch to 10W-30. Did you know that 5W-20 is really 5 weight oil and 10-30 is really 10 weight oil?

Fifth observation: The trans doesn't have a dipstick. It's not sealed, it can't be, and neither are the differentials but I won't change any of their oils for 100,000 miles, the factory fill is fine. I REALLY like the 9 user configurable gauges! Putting the trans in 8th pops up the current gear display on the dash, I like that too along with the gear limit. The Alpine 9 speaker stereo sound system is very good, love XM, 70 Yacht Rock, hah! The truck is very comfortable and quiet, great for road trips.

I know that I'm forgetting stuff but hey I'm still learning. Got a Gator bed rug and retractable tonneau cover, the bed is factory spray lined. So far I really, really like this truck. I just hope that it doesn't get Gremlins and turn nightmarish.

Welcome to the Rebel fam. I just picked up my first Rebel, too. It’s awesome. I have noticed the parking brake doesn’t always release automatically when shifting to drive, but sometimes (usually) it does.

Sunroof - love it. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Until it leaks, lol.
Especially coming from a Wrangler, it’s nice to let more light in the cab when I want to. Sure, pointless if you don’t care to use it, similar to a rear locker in some people’s eyes. Personally, I like having the option to use either at will.

The HUD is net but I can’t say inreallly need it. I do like the rear view mirror/ camera that came with that Technology Group option.

On a side note, highly recommend a Banks Pedal Monster. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snekpete

Reaction score
Okay, now I have some technical questions:

1) Can a standard OBDII reader clear CEL codes or does the SGW prevent this?

2) I just installed the Auto Stop Eliminator. Two anomalies occurred. First the A Off button now lights up at shutdown for 5 seconds and on door opening for 5 seconds. Second the balance setting on the radio was lost meaning that at least the balance and probably the equalizer and speed volume settings are stored in volatile memory which seems kind of stupid.

3) Does anyone know the function of the silver ball on the upper control arms?

20210717_150957.jpg

Had a real use for the truck today.

20210717_070816.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, now I have some technical questions:

1) Can a standard OBDII reader clear CEL codes or does the SGW prevent this?

2) I just installed the Auto Stop Eliminator. Two anomalies occurred. First the A Off button now lights up at shutdown for 5 seconds and on door opening for 5 seconds. Second the balance setting on the radio was lost meaning that at least the balance and probably the equalizer and speed volume settings are stored in volatile memory which seems kind of stupid.

3) Does anyone know the function of the silver ball on the upper control arms?

View attachment 100145
That silver ball is for trucks with air suspension (the links attach to it, for reading the suspension height).

Snekpete

Reaction score
On a side note, highly recommend a Banks Pedal Monster. Very cool.
In general I stay away from performance mods because although fun, they are a huge waste of money. But after reading some threads yesterday I see that gas pedal calibration can indeed be an issue and this mod would most certainly recalibrate the throttle sensor.

When I first brought the truck back from PA hard acceleration on the highway resulted in a rough kerchunk downshift, just like the old Ford. Yesterday I read that after some miles the downshifts will improve. Sure enough, coming home yesterday on I70 I floored it and she pinged down three gears, holding each one for a half second before dropping down to the next. That put a smile on my face.

Snekpete

Reaction score
A brief discussion of TC, ESC, ELA and LSD, mainly for my own reference when I forget.

First, I've had four Fords with limited slip rear differentials, two trucks and two Mustangs. The limited slip does nothing for the trucks except make them clunk around sharp turns when cold, even with double friction modifier, which is really nasty smelling stuff. If one rear wheel is on ice and one on pavement the LSD does nothing, the ice wheel spins. This is where the electronic locking axle really shines. On the Mustangs the LSD still does not work on ice but it does work on burnouts, laying down two nice black rubber marks. On the 2016 Mustang the ESC actually provides better, quicker launches when on by selectively pinching alternate rear discs to keep the car from sliding sideways. If you intentionally want to drift it's better to have the ESC off. The 2016 Mustang has three ESC modes selectable by pushing the button once or twice.

For the 2021 Rebel there is no LSD, just an electronic locking rear axle, which is fine with me because I don't plan on doing quarter mile launches in the truck. If you do plan on quarter mile launches then an LSD would be of value. It may also be of some use in snow at higher speeds although I suspect that the ESC will do a better job than an LSD in that condition. In the Rebel there is one (of four) physical push down switch marked ≈ Off for traction control off. When in 2WD pushing this switch results in traction control off on the display and pushing it again results in traction control on. Push and holding it has no effect as does pushing it twice. In 4WD High, however, pushing and holding the ≈ Off switch for about 5 seconds results in traction control off on the display and a pop up message ESC Off.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very impressed with the way the trucks computer manages traction, it manages power well while now being anywhere near as intrusive as the traction control on my old GMC Sierra which had a mechanical locker.

Not to often have I to had to actually use the locker or 4wd outside of nasty winter weather.

Users who are viewing this thread