5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not impressed with my 8.4 Nav

Cudapower

Reaction score
I find my Navigation really disappointing. My brothers ford Nav is much better. It does split screen on intersections, shows the correct path and sets at a 1/2 mile distance so you can see turns ahead of you. Does anyone know how to set the distance on the map so it will stay? I would like to see a 1/2 mile. I can't even set it at that distance but when I set it at the max yards, it automatically resets to the minimum distance. I would like to see more that 100ft in front of me on the map.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find my Navigation really disappointing. My brothers ford Nav is much better. It does split screen on intersections, shows the correct path and sets at a 1/2 mile distance so you can see turns ahead of you. Does anyone know how to set the distance on the map so it will stay? I would like to see a 1/2 mile. I can't even set it at that distance but when I set it at the max yards, it automatically resets to the minimum distance. I would like to see more that 100ft in front of me on the map.
Factory nav is CRAP on my truck. Completely useless. I use apple maps on my iphone w/ carplay

mongol_riding

Reaction score
Waze is the way to go these days. It far superior at find the quickest way to your destination than anything else

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Disable auto-zoom. That may help.

GRB

Reaction score
Agree, the NAV is pretty to look at but really stupid when it comes to picking the best route to a destination. I use Google Maps through the Android Auto interface instead. Google is also much better at recognizing voice commands.

b1pig

Reaction score
traded our '15 Ram 1500 and a Chrysler 300 in. The Ram had factory nav. It was not perfect, but i found it just as reliable as all other options available to carplay. Mine did the lane advisory and mirrored the alert on the dash cluster. The benefit for me was that I don't have unlimited data on my phones. The 300 had carplay with no nav. I'm not a huge fan of Waze. It works, but it will not continue alerts if a call comes through while you're using it. Google Maps will continue to actively track you and give audible alerts even while you're on the phone. Maybe that was a glitch in our car, but that's what we found. Only benefit I've found with any carplay option is that you can mess with the destination stuff no matter what the truck is doing... and the built-in nav will not allow you to punch in stuff while in motion. My wife is hearing impaired so, the verbal commands never really worked with her, either.

Our '19 doesn't have nav.... but if stars align, I'll have it installed. One less thing to have to screw with in the truck for me.

I've done it both ways. I still prefer built-in navigation. Nothing to plug in or leave in the truck for someone to steal.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try turning off auto-zoom.

The built-in navigation is not bad at all once you figure it out and actually does some things better than Waze or GoogleMaps; like finding rest areas and some features of finding the next fuel stop. It does a perfectly fine job of finding routes for me, no issues, and is a breeze to add additional waypoints if you need to change your route in the middle, end, or wherever.

Waze and GoogleMaps are far from perfect. What's with the huge sidebar in GoogleMaps that takes up half the screen when it's navigating and cannot be minimized? Pure silliness. With neither method being free of detractors, the two systems complement each other. If you don't think there's a point to having it, you haven't used it much.

Ramit71

Reaction score
traded our '15 Ram 1500 and a Chrysler 300 in. The Ram had factory nav. It was not perfect, but i found it just as reliable as all other options available to carplay. Mine did the lane advisory and mirrored the alert on the dash cluster. The benefit for me was that I don't have unlimited data on my phones. The 300 had carplay with no nav. I'm not a huge fan of Waze. It works, but it will not continue alerts if a call comes through while you're using it. Google Maps will continue to actively track you and give audible alerts even while you're on the phone. Maybe that was a glitch in our car, but that's what we found. Only benefit I've found with any carplay option is that you can mess with the destination stuff no matter what the truck is doing... and the built-in nav will not allow you to punch in stuff while in motion. My wife is hearing impaired so, the verbal commands never really worked with her, either.

Our '19 doesn't have nav.... but if stars align, I'll have it installed. One less thing to have to screw with in the truck for me.

I've done it both ways. I still prefer built-in navigation. Nothing to plug in or leave in the truck for someone to steal.

Yeah, because unplugging and plugging in your phone is such a daunting task. Who leaves their phone in the truck anyways. Lol

runamuck

Reaction score
nav works great for me. dont want a bunch loose items to fool with so I prefer built-in nav. only have had gm and ram so dont know about others. turned off the annoying voice before I left the dealer. to the poster above, there is a place in settings to set the default scale. I prefer the zoom on the gm tho where you turn a knob instead of having to tap on the + - on the screen. just old school I guess

Snakes709

Reaction score
I like my nav. Abit of an upgrade compared to the nav in my 2016 sport. I like how it gives you the options of POI’s along your route. Always found it a hassle of trying to find gas stations nearest to the highway. Only thing i hate is your cant type an address or search anything while in motion. My wifes Equinox gives you a alert that its distracted driving and then you hit accept and it allows the passenger to do what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread