5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normal running temps? 2022 1500 w/ 5.7 non-etorque

Starkhaus

Reaction score
I’ve been watching my temps because I feel they seem a bit high? What are your trucks usually running at? This is after a 25 minute drive 95% highway at 70-80 MPH. This was parked just sitting idle, this seem normal? About 45F out give or take.

B3A16745-793D-4E91-9F4F-5287D7AC17D3.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been watching my temps because I feel they seem a bit high? What are your trucks usually running at? This is after a 25 minute drive 95% highway at 70-80 MPH. This was parked just sitting idle, this seem normal? About 45F out give or take.

View attachment 145374
What is the temp while actually driving above 30mph? Mine will get that high at low speeds and sitting at idle because that's when the electric fans turn on. When driving it will sit around 205.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your normal water temps should go as high as 229F under normal operation without a load. Usually at idle or moving slowly in traffic, then the fans kick in. While moving at speed, you should be at around 210F-220F or so. The oil temps at idle or heavy load will actually go higher than the water temps.

This is normal, modern vehicles run at higher temps for the best mpg and power.

However, under heavy load, your water temps can reach 245F and oil temps up to 280F under extreme normal operation. You will get a coolant warning at around 254F and 285F for the oil.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have etorque, but those temps match what I typically see. When driving at highway speeds I'll typically ride around 204 or 205 for coolant temp. And around 217 to 219 depending on speed. If i'm crusing at 80mph for a while I can see my oil temp rise to 222 or so, but usually it hangs around 221.

I've seend 230 a time or two when driving a little hard, doing multiple full throttle accelerations, but it'll quickly ease back to around 221 for oil temp after a few minutes.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
What is the temp while actually driving above 30mph? Mine will get that high at low speeds and sitting at idle because that's when the electric fans turn on. When driving it will sit around 205.
I’d say at least 10-15 degrees cooler give or take I can’t remember off the top of my head. These temps just seem higher than I’m used to I used to have a ‘14 5.7. Thank you for the insight!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’d say at least 10-15 degrees cooler give or take I can’t remember off the top of my head. These temps just seem higher than I’m used to I used to have a ‘14 5.7. Thank you for the insight!
Most people aren't used to having a display that shows actual engine temp, most factory guages are just approximate readings. Also why they went away from numbers and just show hot/cold

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most people aren't used to having a display that shows actual engine temp, most factory gushes are just approximate readings. Also why they went away from numbers and just show hot/cold

Yup, they are practically idiot lights, only moving with big fluctuations of temps. When I watch my "analog" coolant gauge and my digital one, I can have pretty big movements on the digital and the analog won't even move.

dski

Reaction score
I've seen this question a few times so I started watching mine. In general I mostly hang out right at 204F but have caught it in a few scenarios running in the 220-230 so you seem normal.

Users who are viewing this thread