5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normal Hemi E-torque MGU noise? 2023 5.7

3milebaywaker

Reaction score
So this is my first post, and I have been doing a great deal of digging through other noise related issues to the E-torque engines posts and most seem to be a noise always pointed at a tensioner or an ilder pully bearing.

2023 1500 5.7 Laramie with 2,400 miles I leased in July.

I started to hear this late August early September and originally thought it was eletrical interference from the system to the truck speakers because it was kind of quiet. Until an odd 80 degree day, I had my windows down and heard the squealing noise come from the front end. It's progressively getting worse and sound like metal on metal brake pads and does this when slowly down, just coasting off throttle and stops when I'm 2-3mph before coming to a stop. I have no excess brake pad dust and the random times it starts while coasting leads me to believe it's the MGU.

Here's a video of the sound.

mrclortho

Reaction score
I can hear mine a tiny bit sometimes when coming to a stop or when it restarts the engine, but nothing like that.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to take it to the dealer.

3milebaywaker

Reaction score
I Have an open recall too, so I scheduled an appointment for both. Sadly it's over a month away, everything else seems fine but that noise is awful 😖

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That does not sound like a bearing going bad, more of a high pitched oscillation/ringing that is MGU load dependent.
Keep us posted, interesting to see what the dealer comes up with.

3milebaywaker

Reaction score
Well finally was able to get it to the dealer, they discovered a bracket which they claim is not supposed to be there. Like it was possibly left over from assembly, and they checked a few other rams and no other trucks had this. It's gold zinc plated where it was wedged next to the trans, but had a perfect u shape that cradled the front drive shaft ( not half shafts) and the U portion was coated in a red rubber. There is red rubber wear marks on the drive shaft itself but no other wear marks. I drove it home and noise for the moment appears to be gone but I am a bit skeptical. Seems like very minimal wear for the amount of sound I have been hearing. If it comes back, I'll keep this updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online