5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise at start up

edgarrian

Reaction score
I noticed a chattering noise at start up a few different times. I have researched this as it seems the dealer fails to duplicate this when people take it in. Some say its no big deal and others are frustrated. I just purchased my rebel about 2 months ago and was wondering if any of you have noticed. I happen to be parked by another guy last night when I shut my truck off. We chatted for probably more than an hour. I started my truck and you could hear a chattering noise for about 2 seconds and then it went away. It was pretty noticeable since his truck was parked by mine and the sound bounced off his vehicle. I shut it off and then started it again and nothing.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a chattering noise at start up a few different times. I have researched this as it seems the dealer fails to duplicate this when people take it in. Some say its no big deal and others are frustrated. I just purchased my rebel about 2 months ago and was wondering if any of you have noticed. I happen to be parked by another guy last night when I shut my truck off. We chatted for probably more than an hour. I started my truck and you could hear a chattering noise for about 2 seconds and then it went away. It was pretty noticeable since his truck was parked by mine and the sound bounced off his vehicle. I shut it off and then started it again and nothing.

Several of us have had this and it turned out to be the factory oil filter. Apparently it had a defective valve allowing all the head oil to drain to the sump. The chattering was due to lack of oil and went away once oil pressure built back up. The fix is to get your oil changed. I believe everyone who has replaced the filter has had no further issues.

Users who are viewing this thread