5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No start, hard start

Felipecp1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram rebel 1500, I woke up one morning trying to remote start, nothing. Jumped in the cabin foot in the break pushed start and just got a click. Had to try several times to get it to start. After like the 5th time, you can hear the engine trying to turnover, sometimes it needs a little gas to get it over the hump.

Has anyone else had similar problems? After doing some research, pointing to several directions. To the battery, starter issues, parasitic draw. Getting mixed results. Has anyone been able to figure out the cause of this issue? Any luck with the dealership resolving their issue?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a dead/dying battery. I would get the battery tested and replaced. An old battery can cause your starter or alternator/generator to fail early.

Felipecp1

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a dead/dying battery. I would get the battery tested and replaced. An old battery can cause your starter or alternator/generator to fail early
I took it to auto zone to have them test the battery, they said battery looked fine. Of course when they tested it, everything was working properly figures. It came back with a P1DF3 ECU not initialized code. Not sure how to rule out the battery or other issue without taking it to the dealership

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took it to auto zone to have them test the battery, they said battery looked fine. Of course when they tested it, everything was working properly figures. It came back with a P1DF3 ECU not initialized code. Not sure how to rule out the battery or other issue without taking it to the dealership
Battery going bad, poor grounds, starter failing, pretty much in that order.
ECU not initializing could be caused by a low voltage condition, but if that tripped the fault then there should be more modules throwing codes.
I had a problem with parasitic draw killing batteries, it was caused by a poor ground connection.

blackbelt135

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram rebel 1500, I woke up one morning trying to remote start, nothing. Jumped in the cabin foot in the break pushed start and just got a click. Had to try several times to get it to start. After like the 5th time, you can hear the engine trying to turnover, sometimes it needs a little gas to get it over the hump.

Has anyone else had similar problems? After doing some research, pointing to several directions. To the battery, starter issues, parasitic draw. Getting mixed results. Has anyone been able to figure out the cause of this issue? Any luck with the dealership resolving their issue?
I'm having a similar problem. I woke up a few days ago , tried to remote start, nothing. Jumped in the cabin, foot on break, pushed start, just got a click. I tried several times, but never got it to start. I tried jumper cables next. The battery voltage was charged from 11.9 volts to 13.7 volts, but it still wouldn't start, just a click. I went to AutoZone, had the battery tested, they said it's good (it's a 2020 Ram and it doesn't have the original battery). I bought a new battery just in case, installed it, still won't start, just a click. All electrical seems to be working as usual. When I try to start the truck, the battery loses about .5 volts, so it drops from 13.5 to 13, and then 13 to 12.5, and so on. I checked a bunch of fuses, haven't seen anything unusual. I'm not sure what to do next. Some folks have said starter, solenoid, BCM... I can't drive it to my mechanic - it won't start. It's currently a $50k paperweight in my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread