5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No remote start unless you have Nav unit

egnarp

Reaction score
I didn't have the Nav option in my 2016 Ram, but was still able to subscribe to Uconnect which allowed remote start and lock from from anywhere in the world via my phone app.. This was especially useful when I wanted to warm up the truck before leaving work. I ordered my new Ram without Nav again, but just discovered it does not accommodate the phone app remote start feature. I would have had to upgrade to the 8.4 Nav radio in order to have this convenience. Just a heads-up to anyone planning on ordering a 5th Gen. and wanting the phone app. remote start feature.

leonandlisa

Reaction score
Add me to the list, got my special order truck last week and searched and searched but no uconnect remote start on my Laramie, frustrated, not the end of the world, but it should be clear that it only has partial uconnect features

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I found this out after getting my truck home. Dealer had told me specifically that all Unconnect vehicles have it, and then when I asked, they looked into it and told me they had made a mistake. It’s not the end of the world, but pretty annoying as I work in a large office building and it would be nice to start my truck in the winter or summer 5-10 mins before I walk out to it. Not possible with regular remote start from the fob. I could have probably returned the truck but it would have been a huge hassle to unwind the whole deal and get my traded car back. Guess I’ll try for this again in 5-7 years.

Swordfish

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2019 RAM Rebel and I have NAV and the Uconnect app still doesn't work. I feel like my dealer lied to me about the ability to remote start my vehicle. He kept telling me how great this system was and when I found it didn't work I researched the internet. Appears it doesn't work for anyone.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2019 RAM Rebel and I have NAV and the Uconnect app still doesn't work. I feel like my dealer lied to me about the ability to remote start my vehicle. He kept telling me how great this system was and when I found it didn't work I researched the internet. Appears it doesn't work for anyone.

Works for me from the phone app.

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
My dealer mislead me too. Told me I had the remote start through capability but when I tried to get it to work by calling SiriusXM Guardian, I found out NO CAN DO.

UGH

fotomatt1

Reaction score
My dealer mislead me too. Told me I had the remote start through capability but when I tried to get it to work by calling SiriusXM Guardian, I found out NO CAN DO.

UGH
I don't think dealers were intentionally misleading anybody, as annoying as this is. In the past, Nav wasn't required for UConnect remote start to work, and they didn't realize that non-nav vehicles didn't have this capability in 2019 until a few people complained. After 4 days my dealer offered to take the truck back, but i figured I'd get over it. I don't really need the remote start via app knowing that it is an expensive subscription after a year, but I am seriously annoyed about not having HD radio. I might pursue some type of compensation for that.

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
I don't think dealers were intentionally misleading anybody, as annoying as this is. In the past, Nav wasn't required for UConnect remote start to work, and they didn't realize that non-nav vehicles didn't have this capability in 2019 until a few people complained. After 4 days my dealer offered to take the truck back, but i figured I'd get over it. I don't really need the remote start via app knowing that it is an expensive subscription after a year, but I am seriously annoyed about not having HD radio. I might pursue some type of compensation for that.
At least your dealer offered to take truck back to make it right. Mine did not and offered no solution whatsoever. That is what makes me irritated. Had I known it didn’t have it I would have purchased a different model to have it. Oddly enough, it can’t be added by the dealer.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
At least your dealer offered to take truck back to make it right. Mine did not and offered no solution whatsoever. That is what makes me irritated. Had I known it didn’t have it I would have purchased a different model to have it. Oddly enough, it can’t be added by the dealer.

My dealer told me the same thing. They did look into it and would have absorbed the cost if it was reasonable. Apparently it needs so many components in addition to the head unit and dash trim that it was thousands of dollars if it could even be done. Had I known all of this I would have just spent another $20/ month to get all of these features or negotiated harder for the same price on a truck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
I didn't have the Nav option in my 2016 Ram, but was still able to subscribe to Uconnect which allowed remote start and lock from from anywhere in the world via my phone app.. This was especially useful when I wanted to warm up the truck before leaving work. I ordered my new Ram without Nav again, but just discovered it does not accommodate the phone app remote start feature. I would have had to upgrade to the 8.4 Nav radio in order to have this convenience. Just a heads-up to anyone planning on ordering a 5th Gen. and wanting the phone app. remote start feature.
Same thing happened to me. Dealer assured me it had it but I ended finding out i didn’t . After that, dealer offered to have a viper system installed to get similar fuctionality from remote app, but I’m hesitant to have splicing of wires on my new truck.

SPYvSPY

Reaction score
Same thing. Dealer said it was there and I had to prove to them that it didn’t. Should be worth a free bed step at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/