5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more out of warranty good will services

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in May, I installed the Bilstein 5100s on circlet 5 for my Rebel. The truck was fine for the first week, but then I took it in for an alignment. After I picked up my truck from the dealership, the Forward Collision Warning light and Service FCW lights were on. The dealership said I can bring it in and their service manager could probably get approvals for a good will fix since I was out of the 3 year warranty, but well under the 36k mile. The light went off for about a month and became intermittent. It's now on permanently, so I scheduled that service.

The service writer advised me that they received a notice from Stellantis 3 weeks ago to close out ALL "good will" service work orders and that there will be more. She also stated that issues documented before warranty expiration that couldn't be fixed or replicated will no longer be fixed after the warranty expires.

I should have addressed this issue in July when it became more prevalent, but it wasn't a major concern.

Scott,
Don’t take this the wrong way… but I’d like to see the “official” notice on this.
I’m 50/50 skeptical.

I'm not in possession of said communication. I was thinking of contacting another dealer and asking them about my dash warnings to see what they say.

Yep, don’t get me wrong, possible… but damn.
NO idea how your relationship is with your dealer…but that kinda says…wash your hands, don’t want to deal with it anymore..
Good luck!

Yeah I be would be hesitate to trust what a service advisor says.. could just be some bs to get out of doing the work. I would confirm with others first before believing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I called another dealer for my service. They said I could bring in the truck, but the diagnostics will cost $149 an hour. After that, if the service manager is willing to request "good will" from Stellantis, he can, but it's his call. This other dealer has only done an oil change and another simple warranty repair, so I've used them exclusively, so I doubt they'll try for good will.

I also don't want to pay $150 to figure out why forward collision says it needs service when I don't even care if that works.. Anybody know if I can turn off the dash alerts for FCW with AlphaOBD? I may just purchase that instead.

Cbty, please clarify if you can. For forward collision on these.
Does it use the radar sensors on the bumper, cameras in front/on windshield, or a combo of both…or neither?

It frankly may be as simple as a front sensor wire got knocked loose from the alignment…

I think the FCW is the module under the plastic in the windshield. The front bumper sensors still notify me when pulling in the garage, but the dash doesn't flash red saying "BRAKE" when someone decides to turn slowly into a driveway from a 50mph road, like it used to.

I don't need technology to tell me when to brake or how hard. There was a time when people learned how to drive and didn't need tech to adjust or alert for them. :cool:

She also stated that issues documented before warranty expiration that couldn't be fixed or replicated will no longer be fixed after the warranty expires.
I can't cite the law but (the FTC has something to say about this) that sounds very illegal. All they would have to do, with any vehicle, brand new or near the end of the warranty period, is claim no parts, and keep claiming it. I think some of those service advisors or whatever they promote themselves to, live in another universe.

I can't cite the law but (the FTC has something to say about this) that sounds very illegal. All they would have to do, with any vehicle, brand new or near the end of the warranty period, is claim no parts, and keep claiming it. I think some of those service advisors or whatever they promote themselves to, live in another universe.
This started when he was out of the warranty period.

Sounds like he needs the windshield camera calibrated. Some alignment shops perform this on every alignment for liability reasons, May want to reach out to that shop and see if that was the case.

The same dealer did my alignment. Can alignment affect the FCW? And yes, I was already out of warranty when this started. It would be nice if alignment can affect it somehow as I will then get the dealer to fix it since they broke it.

The same dealer did my alignment. Can alignment affect the FCW? And yes, I was already out of warranty when this started. It would be nice if alignment can affect it somehow as I will then get the dealer to fix it since they broke it.
If you did a level it can throw off sensors, which should be recalibrated. Not sure if they are checked during an alignment or not.

I did the level and had no alerts until after the alignment. Granted, it was only 1 week between the two, but the dealer had issues with the alignment and did it 7 times. When I went to pick it up, the service dept was closed and the alert was on my dash. I showed a salesperson, that asked to buy my truck, the issue when I picked it up. I was just thinking coincidence as I did the level, however, so many people are leveling/lifting their trucks and not getting this alert. So.....Is it level related? Is it possible possible top be alignment related? I don't know.

The point of the post was to inform what I was told by the dealer regarding good will services. If that is incorrect, then we can disregard or delete this thread.

I don't need technology to tell me when to brake or how hard. There was a time when people learned how to drive and didn't need tech to adjust or alert for them. :cool:
There was a time when we used manual drum brakes and no power steering.
If the technology prevents me from striking a person, animal, kid… shopping cart.. so be it.

Is it going to be perfect? Nope.

No need to delete the post, a certified Stellantis mechanic on here that helps many, myself included, has stated it’s not the case. That’s good info for us all to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back