5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Idea WTF Is Going On

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
So the truck is a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 E-torque, about 27K miles.

So literally nothing should go wrong with it only being 3 years old +/- and under 30kmiles. This is ridiculous.

Any help is appreciated.

While taking the kids for donuts this morning, upon acceleration there was this weird ticking/flapping sound. I had a 2010 Ram 5.7 that I had until I sold it in 2022 and I'm well aware what the broken exhaust manifold bolts sound like. This was a sound I'd never heard before.

I pull into a side street and shut it down and pop the hood for a look. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing got caught on anything.

Start it back up and the sound is there when I accelerate and its not accelerating normally. It's also acting like it's shifting funny as well.

We make it back out to the main road and the RPMs are up and down a little. At one point I really give it gas and the RPMs go way up but the truck barely moves.

The truck barely accelerates. A check engine light comes on as well as a message about servicing the electronic shifter. There might possibly have been a message about the auto start stop not working as well. I feel like there was but at this point I'm watching traffic and trying to keep my kids safe in the midst of trying to watch all the things popping up on my dash.

All the while the truck is jerking slightly as I'm trying to get home. Luckily we were less than a mile from home and eventually got back. I doubt I was able to do 20mph.

I got home and disconnected the battery to let it sit and just see what would happen. After I showered I hooked it and started it and the check engine light come on. I park on the street so pulled into a drive way 2 houses down to try and turn around and just trying to pull it up in front my house it was already having issues with acceleration and shifting/slightly jerking feeling.

This is ********. WTF can't people just build **** that works anymore? Loved the truck before, but can no longer trust it and after it gets sorted out will probably be forced into eating **** and losing my shirt on it.

Last edited:

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
Just went out there to start it up again and let it idle to see what would happen.

The idle for the most part sits at any 500. You can hear it fluctuating a little bit though and watch it on the gauge.

If I give it a little gas and release it revs up a little and then dropped to as low as any 200 RPMs. It evens back out to 500 or so but continues to hunt up and down slightly.

To say I'm PO is a huge understatement.

Hopefully the warranty covers tow service. If not it'll cost them money one way or another. Lol I don't take being screwed over very kindly.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just went out there to start it up again and let it idle to see what would happen.

The idle for the most part sits at any 500. You can hear it fluctuating a little bit though and watch it on the gauge.

If I give it a little gas and release it revs up a little and then dropped to as low as any 200 RPMs. It evens back out to 500 or so but continues to hunt up and down slightly.

Hopefully the warranty covers tow service. If not it'll cost them money one way or another. Lol I don't take being screwed over very kindly.
Factory warranty covers tow to nearest dealer. Call dealer. You had one issue and are ready to throw in the towel? Every manufacturer has issues.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check your air intake to see if it's clogged.

Also get under your truck and make sure you don't have any massive holes of your truck missing.
Lastly check your engine oil level with the dipstick and make sure it's at least registering.

If it's nothing major, my money would be on the air intake being clogged.

When was your last oil change?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check your air intake to see if it's clogged.

Also get under your truck and make sure you don't have any massive holes of your truck missing.
Lastly check your engine oil level with the dipstick and make sure it's at least registering.

If it's nothing major, my money would be on the air intake being clogged.

When was your last oil change?
I'd be highly surprised if his airbox/intake was clogged enough to cause those issues. Maybe it he had 150k miles and never changed an air filter.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shifting funny, revs way up but hardly moves? I'd first be checking the trans fluid level.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd be highly surprised if his airbox/intake was clogged enough to cause those issues. Maybe it he had 150k miles and never changed an air filter.
I'm not talking about regular build up.
I'm talking about like a animal filling it with something that should not be there and blocking 95% of airflow, not just the filter.

Takes 2 minutes to check or so (gota take off a few screws) but it's worth checking imo.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
Yeah the airbox was clean and the filter was changed less than 1,000miles ago when I changed the oil.

It got towed in this morning and it'll be at least Wednesday until they can start to look at it.

Av1

Reaction score
Shifting funny, revs way up but hardly moves? I'd first be checking the trans fluid level.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Line pressure issue of some sort, whether fluid level or a valve body problem. Maybe even the torque converter.

Rondo13

Reaction score

Yeah the airbox was clean and the filter was changed less than 1,000miles ago when I changed the oil.

It got towed in this morning and it'll be at least Wednesday until they can start to look at it.
Greetings Cbzr1107 What was the repair and diagnostic noted, I hope this was corrected /fixed. I have a 2019 Rebel, Love This Truck BUT ...
The other day while driving approximately 45 mph went into a "false neutral". The truck motor of course rev'd at a high rpm but, I was "free wheeling" without tranny engagement. I made it to the shoulder, shut down, restarted, placed the selector in drive and made it home without an incident ( less than one mile). I took the truck to the dealership and they did not see error codes? I left the truck for them to diagnose and test over the weekend. Truck only has 56K, no codes detected when I got it to the dealership 4/14 still waiting for the diagnosis.

Users who are viewing this thread