5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Cold Air Intakes for 5th gen 3.6L???

EtherRam

Reaction score
Hey all,
Love my 3.6L most of the time, but it's been really struggling going up the interstate mountains, to the point where I'm getting frustrated. I don't feel like an empty-bed V6 truck should be downshifting from 8th to 5th gear just to get enough torque to maintain 70 mph on a Kentucky interstate.

That being said, I started looking for a cold air intake, as those have proven to give better air for combustion (more power), but I can't find a single one for the new generation 3.6L. Am I out of luck here?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Smerberj

Reaction score
Nothing right now. K&N and I are keeping in contact though, they want to use my truck (2020 3.6L) as a test mule for R&D. Problem is I'm active duty military and left California before they could reach me. I'll be moving back to California around April 2021 and will look into providing my Ram to K&N. They told me that for my help they will give me a free K&N kit (once it's built) and all the dyno charts for the runs they performed. They also provide a loaner vehicle to you free of charge. I did have one exception though, I requested a CLOSED box design, none of this open box crap for me.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Hey all,
Love my 3.6L most of the time, but it's been really struggling going up the interstate mountains, to the point where I'm getting frustrated. I don't feel like an empty-bed V6 truck should be downshifting from 8th to 5th gear just to get enough torque to maintain 70 mph on a Kentucky interstate.

That being said, I started looking for a cold air intake, as those have proven to give better air for combustion (more power), but I can't find a single one for the new generation 3.6L. Am I out of luck here?
Spoke too soon. Realtruck.com has an aFm cold air inake for the RAM DT's 3.6L engine. I just bought one, $349.80 after taxes, shipping was free.

jgeatty

Reaction score
Hey all,

I let both K&N and AFE use my truck to prototype their intakes. They should both have intakes available soon. Here is a pic of the the K&N one. For some reason I can’t find the AFE pic but I like it’s look a little better. Both performed the same and sounded similar but the K&N was super loud during wide open throttle.

Attachments

• 5319CCAB-3619-41EA-9FD7-809D505B5B18.jpeg
    5319CCAB-3619-41EA-9FD7-809D505B5B18.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 85

Smerberj

Reaction score
I let both K&N and AFE use my truck to prototype their intakes. They should both have intakes available soon. Here is a pic of the the K&N one. For some reason I can’t find the AFE pic but I like it’s look a little better. Both performed the same and sounded similar but the K&N was super loud during wide open throttle.
I placed an order for the AFE one and I'm curious as to why you liked it more? I noticed it utilizes the lower stock airbox and appears to have a larger oval filter. Was the K&N piping metal?

Jdel427

Reaction score
I installed the AFE CAI yesterday and I love the sound it makes between 2/3k RPMs. Very deep growl.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I wish I would have read this thread before ordering the K&N. It looks great, but man, is it loud. Maybe it’s the aluminum intake tube. It’s for sale now if anyone is interested. I might have 5 miles on it before I realized it’s not for me. The AFE intake looks nice, especially with the oil free filter.

rgberg

Reaction score
Any real world experience update if the cold air intake helps the highway downshifting or any noticeable power differences? Or does it just make the V6 sound better?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A CAI isn't going to help you much at all. This has been debated on the 5.7L as well. All it's going to do is make it sound good. I had the AFE on my 3.6L JGC and noticed no difference. To make any real difference you need more than a CAI to help boost performance on what your looking at.

Take a look at this Vid -

Jdel427

Reaction score
I got mine on Monday. That thing is loud as hell!
It’s great! Could you by any chance record how the muffler makes yours sound? I’m debating ordering the exhaust to make it dual, but might just do the muffler for better sound and gains.

Smerberj

Reaction score
It’s great! Could you by any chance record how the muffler makes yours sound? I’m debating ordering the exhaust to make it dual, but might just do the muffler for better sound and gains.
I can try but on April 26th I'm having a true dual exhaust installed. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread