5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie, constant dead battery issue.

THE HAGUE

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hoping I've posted this in the right spot.
I'm posting this for a coworker who has been having a major issue with his Ram since October 2022.

The truck has been in and out of the dealership 15 times and counting....
Some of the visits lasting up to 3 weeks.

2 claims with Dodge Canada about this issue.
However, every time the dealership says it's fixed and give the truck back to it's owner, Dodge Canada closes the claim.
They expect my coworker to take it up with the dealership and trade it in at best.
That's too pricey of an option.

The truck is a 2020 1500 sport ( 5th gen ), bought brand new in 2021.
It has all of the bells and whistles and came with a lift and 35's from the dealership.
At 45,000kms is when the issue started and currently has just under 60,000kms.

This is about an electrical issue that keeps on intermittently draining his battery down.
I've scoured posts on this forum and a few others with no hard fix for his issue.
Maybe I've missed something so I'm hoping we can steer my coworker in the right direction.

This seemed to have started when the truck had a water leak from the 3rd brake light.
The brake light was replaced, leak fixed and then shortly after the battery would die.

It was traced to a faulty/wet RF module.

Since then, the battery would die down every other month.
Battery was changed, RF module was changed, USB hub was changed when they found a 6 to 7 amp draw and lastly and most recently, the big screen stereo was changed.

It's currently at the dealership now and has been there for a week.

They still haven't been able to find anything definitive.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hoping I've posted this in the right spot.
I'm posting this for a coworker who has been having a major issue with his Ram since October 2022.

The truck has been in and out of the dealership 15 times and counting....
Some of the visits lasting up to 3 weeks.

2 claims with Dodge Canada about this issue.
However, every time the dealership says it's fixed and give the truck back to it's owner, Dodge Canada closes the claim.
They expect my coworker to take it up with the dealership and trade it in at best.
That's too pricey of an option.

The truck is a 2020 1500 sport ( 5th gen ), bought brand new in 2021.
It has all of the bells and whistles and came with a lift and 35's from the dealership.
At 45,000kms is when the issue started and currently has just under 60,000kms.

This is about an electrical issue that keeps on intermittently draining his battery down.
I've scoured posts on this forum and a few others with no hard fix for his issue.
Maybe I've missed something so I'm hoping we can steer my coworker in the right direction.

This seemed to have started when the truck had a water leak from the 3rd brake light.
The brake light was replaced, leak fixed and then shortly after the battery would die.

It was traced to a faulty/wet RF module.

Since then, the battery would die down every other month.
Battery was changed, RF module was changed, USB hub was changed when they found a 6 to 7 amp draw and lastly and most recently, the big screen stereo was changed.

It's currently at the dealership now and has been there for a week.

They still haven't been able to find anything definitive.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
My 2 pennies worth...
Experienced a parasitic draw, ramping up from 1.5 to 8 amps. (had the truck connected to a keep alive power supply with the battery out of circuit)
I thoroughly! cleaned the battery to inner fender ground connection and applied silver conductive grease, knock on wood, good so far.

THE HAGUE

Reaction score
Thank you kapinallinen2

When the truck comes back from the dealer, we'll do the same and hopefully it goes away.
How long has it been since you cleaned up the ground on your truck?

This truck acts up and the battery is dead after a few months.

In the meantime, any other possibilities in case that doesn't work?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you kapinallinen2

When the truck comes back from the dealer, we'll do the same and hopefully it goes away.

Thank you kapinallinen2

Been good since 2011.
Replacement battery took a dump last summer, would not hold a charge, blame that on the battery itself.
These trucks keep a heavy load on the battery after shut down,
As far as what else could cause this, forums are full of different causes, non definitive.

Nate0192

Reaction score
Chasing electrical gremlins on any vehicle is not fun. Best of luck to your friend and I hope they find the source.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many amps is being drawn once the truck is turned off? How many after 30 minutes?
Before cleaning my ground connection... 1.3 and up to 8 amps. Ramped up, continuously cycling,till it would kill the battery.
Now, back to normal, maybe 20 when the lights and ignition are still on, then 8 and down to couple hundreds of milliamps. when it eventually shuts down .
Anything north of 50 ma is out of spec.

THE HAGUE

Reaction score
Been good since 2011.
Replacement battery took a dump last summer, would not hold a charge, blame that on the battery itself.
These trucks keep a heavy load on the battery after shut down,
As far as what else could cause this, forums are full of different causes, non definitive.

Since 2011?
Sorry, I thought your truck was a 2019.
Will check the ground to fender.

Thank you for the help.

THE HAGUE

Reaction score
Well,

The truck came back from the dealership.
They checked the grounds and they are fine.
For some reason, they changed out the starter motor.

2 days after he got the truck back, it was dead again.

Back at the dealership again.....

Users who are viewing this thread