5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie about to jump in with both feet! Truck shopping questions!

RockIce

Reaction score
New here........glad places like this exist. So..after looking at Ford F150's I think I've decided on Ram 1500. I've always been an SUV guy and Chrysler has always served me well. Current 5.7 L Hemi has 240K miles on it and has been the best engine I've ever owned hands down. It's in a Jeep GC.

I've learned a lot about Ram 1500s that's for sure over the past month. I print out window stickers on all the trucks I like and go line by line looking at options, comparing prices, pulling carfaxes. I go into some of these dealerships and I think I make the sales guys feel bad as I'm so over prepared. It's really ridiculous how lazy some of these sales guys are and how little they know about their own product.

Anyways, what are your basic thoughts/advice on buying a newer but high mileage Ram 1500? Eg: 1 owner well maintained (oil changed at ~5K miles) 2020 Laramie 5.7 L with 90k for $32,000

Am I setting myself up for failure with a vehicle like this? It's a beautiful truck with some great options. I figured this would last another 100K without too many issues? I know it's a roll of the dice.

E-Torque
Customer Preferred Package 27H
- Protection Group (skid plates etc.)
- Bed Utility Group (spray in bed liner)
- Laramie Level 1 Equipment Group
- 33 gal fuel tank
Ram Box

Originally a $63,000 vehicle.

The ONLY thing it doesn't have is the upgraded differential. I would have liked a bit more than the 3.21 but I won't be towing anything more than a small boat. Just wanna beat my nephew's Mustang 5.0L off the line once or twice :) lol.

You’ll get opinions all over the board.
You already know, roll of the dice…. It absolutely SHOULD last you another 100K.
At 144K when I traded in my 15 limited… air ride issues were my biggest problem. But I did have a lot of other stuff replaced along the way, under my Max Care warranty…
Tie rod ends, rear end, trans seal, water pump, moonroof glass and seal… just to name a few things.

I have zero idea if that’s a good price or not, but I’d start with KBB and Edmunds to get a rough idea on trade in vs. private party. Rough idea.
Around here, without getting into each and every option, middle of the pack private party value on kbb puts that at $29,400.

Coming from a 3.92 to my current 3.21.. I only miss the 3.92 once in a while off a dead stop, and frankly.. with the better gas mileage, and the fact I don’t tow nearly as much or as heavy as I used to.. no big deal. If you want to beat that 5.0 off the line, just put it in 4L and race to 25MPH.. LOL.

If you’re buying used from a dealer, ask for a good faith warranty (1 year, 12K miles) or something similar…
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back