5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb question - front tow hooks

mcat79

Reaction score
How do most people use (front) tow hooks on a 1500? From my understanding, it's not advised to pull another vehicle with your front tow hooks due to the strain on the drivetrain. Do most folks use them to pull themselves out of a jam? With a real locker and 4x4, I dont plan on getting stuck much :)

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Yes, the tow hooks are for YOU to be towed in a recovery situation, not for you to tow in reverse. Don't tow in reverse unless you want to risk seriously damaging your transmission. The reverse gear is the weakest point. You can also use your truck as a recovery point for another vehicle in trouble in an emergency. If your buddy is stuck, they can tie their winch off to your hook if no tree or other stable object is available, but DON'T LET THEM DO THAT WITH YOUR TRUCK IN PARK. You'll break the pin that parks your truck. Instead, put it in neutral and turn on the parking brake. That will engage your pads. Don't sit in your truck and apply the brakes because if a winch line breaks it might head straight for your windshield. In lieu of rear tow hooks, you can also buy a relatively cheap receiver shackle for a recovery point in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread