5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Towing - Jet Ski

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to towing - never have before. I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn - see signature for all details/mods.

Was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what I will need to get in order to get ready to tow a jet ski trailer this summer.

I plan on buying a Jet Ski this March/April and a trailer (if anyone tows a Jet Ski and has a good trailer in mind I'd also love any suggestions!)

This is the Jet Ski I am looking at buying: https://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/rec-lite.html (nothing crazy just something to mess around with family & friends)

Any videos/articles to help me out on this are also appreciated. I don't see any jet ski towing threads on here.

I would be towing it about an hour to an hour and a half each weekend I decide to bring it down to the Jersey Shore if that helps.

Thanks!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Assuming that your truck came with a receiver; then all you will need is a ball mount and ball. I use a 3" drop mount for my boat and it seems to ride at the correct height. You will need to know what size ball the Jet Ski trailer requires (usually 2"). You shouldn't need much for towing a Jet Ski; your truck should already be set up. I do recommend that you purchase a spare tire for your trailer (they don't normally come standard). A flat tire on a trailer without a spare can ruin your day. Check out this video:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can get a trailer for your Seadoo directly from the dealer if not try one of theses.

I have this one for mine but they aren't available anymore(pic attached)

Attachments

• Seadoo.jpg
    Seadoo.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 24

Toothninja

Reaction score
JetSkis are an easy way to learn to pull a trailer. Especially a single one. Usually the jet skis can be bought with a trailer. I’ll try to see what kind my trailer is. I just bought two seadoos last summer. I swear that you’ll think the truck was made to pull one, or two, of them! D5AD3597-9CCD-428E-B3DD-ABE5A4FE32D0.jpeg A717C2FE-C0A5-444B-8E1F-AC35447A7B10.jpeg

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Towing wont be an issue. Backing up may take some patients if you're new to it. Seadoo trailers generally have a very short wheelbase and doesnt forgive much for turning corrections. Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
JetSkis are an easy way to learn to pull a trailer. Especially a single one. Usually the jet skis can be bought with a trailer. I’ll try to see what kind my trailer is. I just bought two seadoos last summer. I swear that you’ll think the truck was made to pull one, or two, of them! View attachment 43768 View attachment 43769

Thats the stock I Move trailer offered by Seadoo.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I think everything is outlined here. My 2013 Ram towed a pair of Sparks so well I forget they were back there after a 1500 mile trip. Nothing like doing 95mph and realizing **** I'm towing!

As far as the actual towing. Take the trailer to the boat ramp at an slow time and just practice. 11am on a weekday should be pretty slow at a ramp. Practice backing it up from different angles... and with the ski on and off the trailer. This will also teach you how to load/unload the ski by your self. I would read up on dock etiquette, nothing worse than a guy that clogs up a ramp because he doesn't know etiquette. With some practice, you should be able to load or unload that ski in under 60 seconds. With that said - always take your time - don't rush your self, as that is how you will end up with dock rash or worse.

Toothninja

Reaction score
I think everything is outlined here. My 2013 Ram towed a pair of Sparks so well I forget they were back there after a 1500 mile trip. Nothing like doing 95mph and realizing **** I'm towing!

As far as the actual towing. Take the trailer to the boat ramp at an slow time and just practice. 11am on a weekday should be pretty slow at a ramp. Practice backing it up from different angles... and with the ski on and off the trailer. This will also teach you how to load/unload the ski by your self. I would read up on dock etiquette, nothing worse than a guy that clogs up a ramp because he doesn't know etiquette. With some practice, you should be able to load or unload that ski in under 60 seconds. With that said - always take your time - don't rush your self, as that is how you will end up with dock rash or worse.
In addition, I’d add that we all had to start there and most people will be more than helpful if you had questions or needed help while at the ramp. Practice makes perfect...slow and steady is much better than fast and irresponsible!

JimD007

Reaction score
Jet Skis in general are light boats and the Spark is smaller than most. They can be towed by a car, any pickup will handle them easily. Getting the ball height right for the trailer to set level isn't super easy. There are bars that are adjustable for height but if you can get the jet ski supplier to tell you what height off the ground the ball needs to be. Then check the receiver of your truck and get the bar indicated. I recommend getting more than one and just returning the one or ones you do not need. Most small trailers, like your jet ski trailer, will have a flat four connector for the lights. My truck has that and also the round connector for a trailer with brakes (jet ski trailers will not have brakes). I carry a 1 7/8 and a 2 inch balls and a wrench to be able to change them. My boat trailer is 2 inch and my utility trailer is 1 7/8. Your receiver means that you need a ball with a 1 inch threaded shank - there are smaller ones that are meant for smaller hitches.

JimD007

Reaction score
I have a spare tire for my boat trailer and my utility trailer. But I have never used either one. I blew a tire on a boat trailer once and didn't have a spare. That tire was very old and had dry rotted, however. If I towed long distances I would probably have a spare for the trailer but if it was all pretty local, I probably would not.

I have a 10 year old car with no spare and it doesn't matter because it has never had a flat. I carry a 12V compressor in it, however, and have aired up tires multiple times. I think I've also had a tire or two patched due to a slow leak. Compressors are cheaper and lighter than spares.

Cannonball

Reaction score
I recommend putting tall pvc guide posts on the trailer. If you're new to towing than you're new to landing the ski on the trailer as well. These will give you confidence on your approach and hold you in place if you back the truck in too far.

Also, as mentioned, short trailers suck to back up. You won't be able to see it when you back it down empty... Until it has already swung left or right and now you're just entertainment lol.

Get the poles!

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I recommend putting tall pvc guide posts on the trailer. If you're new to towing than you're new to landing the ski on the trailer as well. These will give you confidence on your approach and hold you in place if you back the truck in too far.

Also, as mentioned, short trailers suck to back up. You won't be able to see it when you back it down empty... Until it has already swung left or right and now you're just entertainment lol.

Get the poles!
Poles are a good idea (y)

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Any 5th gen will have a back up camera so he can still see it without poles.

Rick3019

Reaction score
Be careful of the ramp if you have to get your back tires into the water . On top of the concrete gets a green slime sometimes that’s as slick as ice I always put my truck in four-wheel-drive just in case I also unplug my lights just so I wouldn’t blow a fuse if for some reason the lights lost her seal

Users who are viewing this thread