5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to RAM 1500

IndyRam2021

Reaction score
Hello - I am very seriously considering trading my Ridgeline for a RAM 1500. I love the Honda, but I would like to be able to haul the family on occasion (6 total, with youngest 2 able to easily fit in the "20" on a front bench) and haul a camping trailer that would push the limits or exceed my Honda tow capacity.
The reason I am looking at RAM is because it is the only full size (I think) that has something comparable to the in bed trunk I currently have and use all the time. The Ram box looks to be even more useful in that access is not affected by having a full bed.

So here is my concern: I have come to expect the reliability of Honda and I keep hearing about reliability issues with RAM. In fact, nearly everyone I talk to says that the RAM looks great, has a great interior, etc. BUT they would stay away due to reliability concerns. I know that forums tend to attract issues as it is a way to get help, but I would appreciate any thoughts from current owners. I would be submitting a build for a 2021 as I want a Laramie with front 40/20/40, Ram box, and other options that pretty much make it a unicorn.

Thanks

I’m am a first time Ram owner coming from GM and Ford trucks. I can tell you they all have some issues but I’m pleased so far with Ram quality and engineering. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Welcome.. I've recently come back around to my 4th Ram in the last 20 yrs, i lease so I'm in a new vehicle every 3 years and while no brand is perfect and they all have their issues I keep seeming to come back around to Ram and the 5th generation is a definitely worthy of your consideration as I love mine so far... good luck!

I will be a 1st time Ram owner as well and issues are just the name of the game. I've have Jeeps since 1997. Everytime I bought something else it couldn't compare to the jeep so I'd sell it and go back. A lot of family and friends now own the new Rams and I can't wait to get into one for myself. We are all here to help and make the vehicle more enjoyable. Welcome and you will enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum . This is my third Ram and the only thing that gave me any problems was the air ride on the last one . When it got down to freezing here one of the check valves would freeze shut and the compressor would burn out . Now from what I’ve read and heard they’ve redesigned the air ride in the 5th gens .

I’m a born and bred Ford guy myself. This is my first RAM ever. I’ve had zero issues with mine. After spending some time here it does appear that there were some initial issues with the 19 MY. It’s common for first run of a new generation to have issues. (I traded in a problematic 2020 Explorer ST for my RAM) It seems most of the issues have been sorted out though.

The reason I even gave RAM a look was Consumer Reports 2020 list of Most Reliable Auto Makers. RAM was 7th out of 26.
- Ford was 22nd.....
- Honda is 5th BTW.

I hope this helps.
42D6298C-258C-42D3-84C8-C491FCDAED0D.png

Me thinks that if you want a truck capable of towing anything more than a small trailer, hauling more than 4 people, and the ability to put more than a few chairs and an ice chest in the bed, you're going to be looking at one of the big 3. With that being said, I also think nothing beats the overall mechanical reliability of Toyota or Honda products however even they aren't without issues. It's been said but worth repeating; all vehicle manufacturers have issues - some models more than others.
For my Mrs., a Toyota has always proven absolutely perfect with her current Rav having 125K on it and all I've done is brakes and fluid / oils changes. I've been a diehard GM guy since day one as that's all my folks drove. Ram was never much a fav of mine w/ the exception of the Cummins until I drove a '19 1500 Hemi for a week and fell in love. Over the yrs, they've really upped their game w/ their power train and suspension INMO. Overall fit / finish as well as interior comfort is really well done too. Ram 2019 MY had a few hiccups but, for the most part, seem to have been ironed out by '21 MY.
From what I've gleaned from this site and from fellow friends who own Rams, most issues are somewhat easily resolved and in reality, few and far between. Overall, very few folks have problems that they can never get to the bottom of. I have noticed that the more loaded the truck the more "problems" but that simply stands to reason.
There you have it - my 2 cups of coffee ramblings.

I see family of six as the key phrase in all this. Those little kids that will easily fit up front won't always be little and a trailer big enough to comfortably sleep that many will likely exceed the limits of a 1500. There's a number of threads in the towing forum that detail that.

Have you looked at the 2500s and 3500s with the Maxi-cab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back