5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to diesel - few questions

Pwsiii

Reaction score
I have saw threads on how finicky the DEF system is. Do I need to flush it at some point? I see comments about running distilled water through it.

Do I need a cap over the cap less fuel system?

I have a 2020 limited with 3.92

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Keeping the DEF tank topped off more often will help. Essentially it’s a maintenance free system. On my semi truck there’s actually a filter service for the DEF tank but our rams do not have that.

It’s funny you mention the Cap for the fuel system. Mine will be delivered tomorrow. You can get them from Amazon around $10-$15. It’s just extra protection to keep dust and contaminants from dropping into the fuel tank when you insert the nozzle to fuel up.

hunter1234

Reaction score
I would agree with the rest, running a 2016 eco and no issue with the Def as I always fill it when it hit 1/2. Also not a big fan of the big rig pumps that dispense DEF, prefer to pick up the 2 1/2 gallon boxes. Sometimes I think the big pumps dispense it way too fast and may cause issues with the sensor. I bought the cap for the 2016, I like the aluminum as the plastic is cheap. I only bought it for the fuel side as the Def one seemed a bit more robust and I am not opening that one as much. I am going to try the 2016 cap on the 2020 I just bought but I had heard the pipe is a fraction smaller in diameter and it will likely require greasing of the O-ring. Will see if they ever get the truck here - covid plant closures are hampering my delivery.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Personally I buy the Love’s truck stop DEF. It’s API approved and $16 for 2.5 gal. jug in the store.

Users who are viewing this thread