5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to 5th gen site. My new Hurricane experience.

Moconto

Reaction score
Hi, new to site and first post. I have enjoyed the info here and look forward to sharing and learning from others. I have had a 2017, 2021 and now a 2025 Big Horn. Against my better judgement and the advise from others I decided to get with the Hurricane motor and take my chances, I just couldn't help myself lol. I did an early oil change at 500 miles just because that's me, probably a waste of money, but I noticed my engine with 27 miles on it already had idled 4 HOURS which really pissed me off. Not sure why it idled that long already, but I don't think that's a good way to start off breaking in the engine. I have noticed several interesting things in comparison to my Hemi's. First off on the dream mileage meter anyway I am getting 2-3 mpg better in conservative driving on the way to work. Second my hemi didn't kick into 8th gear until about 53mph accelerating gradually, and the hurricane goes into 8th about 43mph. Never thought that would be the case especially since the turbos are probably not part of the equation at the slow acceleration. Third, on larger hills going up north my hemi needed to drop to 6th gear to maintain speed with the cruise control on, and the hurricane does it very easily in 7th. I don't feel the fuel mapping or general running of the motor is quiet right, again when accelerating slow to moderately from a stop, the power isn't very linear compared to the hemi. I like the hemi the best for the most part, but obviously can't buy anymore. Finally, I noticed rough warm up (misfiring) about a week ago out of the blue (900 miles). Thought I might just have bad gas, but after reading a couple threads on here I now know better. This really upsets me as I am now not sure how bad mine will get (no cel yet) or what they can do about it. Sorry for the long post!

Welcome! Any pics?

Appreciate the comments around the Hurricane engine… many of us are waiting and watching. I, for one, am anticipating getting a RHO someday, but I am also not one for “new tech”, like “proven new tech” whatever that means - ha! So, keep your observations coming - we will enjoy the journey with ya (or frustration as it may be), let’s hope for the more joyous route.

Hi, new to site and first post. I have enjoyed the info here and look forward to sharing and learning from others. I have had a 2017, 2021 and now a 2025 Big Horn. Against my better judgement and the advise from others I decided to get with the Hurricane motor and take my chances, I just couldn't help myself lol. I did an early oil change at 500 miles just because that's me, probably a waste of money, but I noticed my engine with 27 miles on it already had idled 4 HOURS which really pissed me off. Not sure why it idled that long already, but I don't think that's a good way to start off breaking in the engine. I have noticed several interesting things in comparison to my Hemi's. First off on the dream mileage meter anyway I am getting 2-3 mpg better in conservative driving on the way to work. Second my hemi didn't kick into 8th gear until about 53mph accelerating gradually, and the hurricane goes into 8th about 43mph. Never thought that would be the case especially since the turbos are probably not part of the equation at the slow acceleration. Third, on larger hills going up north my hemi needed to drop to 6th gear to maintain speed with the cruise control on, and the hurricane does it very easily in 7th. I don't feel the fuel mapping or general running of the motor is quiet right, again when accelerating slow to moderately from a stop, the power isn't very linear compared to the hemi. I like the hemi the best for the most part, but obviously can't buy anymore. Finally, I noticed rough warm up (misfiring) about a week ago out of the blue (900 miles). Thought I might just have bad gas, but after reading a couple threads on here I now know better. This really upsets me as I am now not sure how bad mine will get (no cel yet) or what they can do about it. Sorry for the long post!
I am curious to ask you a couple questions, just for my own thoughts. have you been running 87 octane so far? have you tried 91-93 octane? if so, did it help the fuel mapping and warmup issues your experiencing. I'm still waiting on my limited, but I have the HO. I am curious because way back when they released this engine, they started advertising the SO would need at least 89 octane then they changed it to 87 because everyone was complaining. of course, this won't matter for me as the HO requires the higher octanes. I am just curious is all and the info may help others with the SO.

Power output from a turbo motor isn't going to be perfectly linear. As the RPMs increase the turbos get I to boost which increases power. And once boost comes on, it just keeps coming.

Id get it into the dealer soon for the misfiring. I've heard it's a software issue with the tune. They might have an update for it by now.

New member here and just bought a new 2025 Rebel two weeks ago.
Mine also had 4 hours of idle time on it.
On initial start in the morning, it idles about 1600 rpm’s for about a minute before starts to drop rpm’s. During that time you’ll notice slight dips/spikes in rpm but it’s not missing, sounds like load changes from the alternator to me. The engine is super smooth at every rpm. No turbo lag and very low rpm pulling power. On my 550 mile drive from Ohio to Georgia, it’ll hold 8 gear on every hill if running over 70 mph. If you’re running in the 60’s and want to jump up to 80, it doesn’t down shift unless you really stomp on it, it just accelerates smoothly and the speed is there. I’ve got about 1700 miles on mine now so changing oil today. Oil filter number is common on GM vehicles. I found Wix and K&N at auto parts store. I’m a huge Hemi fan and own a Hellcat Durango and Jeep 392 Wrangler and this little 3.0L I 6 Hurricane does not disappoint.
After 1700 miles, the dash says 16.9 mpg and most of that is upper 70’s mph running empty.
The Rebel has 3.92 gearing and E rating 275/70/18 tires which are way overkill IMO.
Heading out to get the windows tinted and probably install leveling kit today as the front sets almost 3” lower than rear.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Big Horn and welcome to the forum!

New member here and just bought a new 2025 Rebel two weeks ago.
Mine also had 4 hours of idle time on it.
On initial start in the morning, it idles about 1600 rpm’s for about a minute before starts to drop rpm’s. During that time you’ll notice slight dips/spikes in rpm but it’s not missing, sounds like load changes from the alternator to me. The engine is super smooth at every rpm. No turbo lag and very low rpm pulling power. On my 550 mile drive from Ohio to Georgia, it’ll hold 8 gear on every hill if running over 70 mph. If you’re running in the 60’s and want to jump up to 80, it doesn’t down shift unless you really stomp on it, it just accelerates smoothly and the speed is there. I’ve got about 1700 miles on mine now so changing oil today. Oil filter number is common on GM vehicles. I found Wix and K&N at auto parts store. I’m a huge Hemi fan and own a Hellcat Durango and Jeep 392 Wrangler and this little 3.0L I 6 Hurricane does not disappoint.
After 1700 miles, the dash says 16.9 mpg and most of that is upper 70’s mph running empty.
The Rebel has 3.92 gearing and E rating 275/70/18 tires which are way overkill IMO.
Heading out to get the windows tinted and probably install leveling kit today as the front sets almost 3” lower than rear.
Welcome to the forum! Here's to many more miles!

I am curious to ask you a couple questions, just for my own thoughts. have you been running 87 octane so far? have you tried 91-93 octane? if so, did it help the fuel mapping and warmup issues your experiencing. I'm still waiting on my limited, but I have the HO. I am curious because way back when they released this engine, they started advertising the SO would need at least 89 octane then they changed it to 87 because everyone was complaining. of course, this won't matter for me as the HO requires the higher octanes. I am just curious is all and the info may help others with the SO.
I forget exact wording in manual but SO Hurricane says 87 but recommends 91 for optimal performance. I’ve been running 89.
Watching a video interview of the fellow that led the Hurricane engine design; he explains the vehicle senses octane value and provides optimal spark and fuel values, it doesn’t just pull timing to keep from knocking.
Another interesting comment of his was about oil additives, he says their engines are designed for extended mileage using the oil viscosity recommended but some of the aftermarket companies are producing exceptional products that do what they say.
Something you’ll notice about your Hurricane engine is the turbo cooling pump will run up to 15 minutes after you shut the engine down. This was mentioned in the video but the length of time it could run was from my dealer service manager.

My SO Wagoneer have been running Costco 87...no issues at 6K.

Engine so much torque I believe both Wagoneer and RAM vehicles will need to be weight balanced in design/production to make the ride smoother and better. Will keep the nose from shooting up when on the gas and seems the tranny drags the speed down when off the accelerator.

Hi Pikeman, I started out running 87 and it seemed to run fine, but of course I didn't have anything to compare it to. I wanted to see if there was a difference with 93 and I have run that the last 3 tanks, but I guess I haven't gotten on it much to compare. But as a general observation running conservatively, I don't feel much difference. Coincidentally, I didn't have misfire issues until I ran the premium, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I do have a question and comment for everyone with the Hurricane. I am thinking running E88 (15%) alcohol would be better for us cheap folks who don't want to run premium all the time (or at all). My feeling is with the higher octane rating it will allow the computer is allow slightly more aggressive mapping and timing as that fuel will not "ping" quite as fast as 87 octane. Not as good as premium but any help is good! I have run one tank of E88 so far and it runs great. Anyone else try this yet, or have thoughts on E88 in the Hurricane? Lastly, my engine stumbled pretty good (misfired) last night on warm up. So yes, that kicked in the CEL and now I'm in the same boat as many others. The dealer is booked for two weeks before I can get it in, so I hope nothing goes wrong before then! Pics, for some reason the side view didn't transfer over.

Attachments

• 5th.jpg
    5th.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5tha.jpg
    5tha.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 13
I've had my H.O. now for about a week and a half. It was perfect on the 600+ mile drive back from the dealer in Texas. It's just under 1,000 miles now with now issues. Very quiet, all the power you could ask for. So far it's averaging about 18 mpg, about one more mpg that my 2023 hemi was getting under the same conditions. I was not planning on moving up to the Limited from the Laramie I had, but am really glad I did. The options I wanted on a new Laramie brought the cost to within a couple of thousand dollars of the Limited, and the Limited was just a better deal, at least for me. Absolutely loving it so far. This is my fifth Ram (three hemi's and an Eco Diesel before this one) and I liked them all, but this is by far my favorite.

Hi Pikeman, I started out running 87 and it seemed to run fine, but of course I didn't have anything to compare it to. I wanted to see if there was a difference with 93 and I have run that the last 3 tanks, but I guess I haven't gotten on it much to compare. But as a general observation running conservatively, I don't feel much difference. Coincidentally, I didn't have misfire issues until I ran the premium, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I do have a question and comment for everyone with the Hurricane. I am thinking running E88 (15%) alcohol would be better for us cheap folks who don't want to run premium all the time (or at all). My feeling is with the higher octane rating it will allow the computer is allow slightly more aggressive mapping and timing as that fuel will not "ping" quite as fast as 87 octane. Not as good as premium but any help is good! I have run one tank of E88 so far and it runs great. Anyone else try this yet, or have thoughts on E88 in the Hurricane? Lastly, my engine stumbled pretty good (misfired) last night on warm up. So yes, that kicked in the CEL and now I'm in the same boat as many others. The dealer is booked for two weeks before I can get it in, so I hope nothing goes wrong before then! Pics, for some reason the side view didn't transfer over.
You will probably notice more of a difference between brands of fuel than octane, unless you are towing or racing. Stick to top tier name brand fuels.

I noticed my intercooler coolant is a bit low and was probably an underfill from the factory. What is the trick to remove the cap?

Good thread. I have a 2025 Limited with the Hurricane HO. So far love the performance and it's a great daily driver. After driving BMW I6's for forever, I love the flat power. Didn't change the oil yet, don't plan to until 5000-6000 miles. I have 1600+ miles on it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back