5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New speakers sound terrible!

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
I had a local car audio shop install the JBL GX962’s in the rear doors and a JBL amp to feed two kicker 8’s in a sealed box. It sounds like crap now. Much worse than factory. I already installed the JBL’s in the dash last year to bring out the highs and it sounded pretty good until yesterday. The front doors are still factory. They had to disconnect the ANC and they left the factory sub disconnected. I have the bass on the head unit set to -3 or -4 and it’s still too boomy on a lot of songs. I can barely hear bass guitar and it’s like there are frequencies missing in the low end. I’m constantly having to change the bass setting based on the song, which sucks. It’s either overbearing or non existent. I’m not sure where to start troubleshooting to try to blend it all together. Any ideas?

Imp0ster

Reaction score
kicker does not make a SQ sub first of all. That was a mistake. One single JL 10 would have served you better or two Image Dynamics 8s or even two Pioneer shallow mount 8s. You're also coming off a high level that is already filtered. Try turning the low pass to 100Hz and the gain down on the amp then set your bass to +1 to allow the woofers in the cab to do their job. That will get you some of your frequency loss back

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
Dude, you nailed it! 100 Hz was still too high for my liking so I have it set around 60-70 and it blended right in. Gain is all the way down. Thanks man, if you’re ever in Gainesville Ga I’ll buy you a beer!

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dude, you nailed it! 100 Hz was still too high for my liking so I have it set around 60-70 and it blended right in. Gain is all the way down. Thanks man, if you’re ever in Gainesville Ga I’ll buy you a beer!
Do all of your other functions work such *** sensor beeps, GPS, or lights on chime? I had a problem on my 2016 sierra where the chimes and gps sounded horrible due to amplification...

Imp0ster

Reaction score
Do all of your other functions work such *** sensor beeps, GPS, or lights on chime? I had a problem on my 2016 sierra where the chimes and gps sounded horrible due to amplification...

Ground loop or feedback from a crappy wire connection. If music sounds fine then go through your wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online