5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New requirements on builds

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
First off I have to say I love this forum. The community of ram owners are great and I enjoy reading all the input.
I have attempted to order a new Laramie through a local dealer. In the process I wanted the following, v8 mds vvt, 3.21, 33 gal, level one group, off road group, sport appearance, other minor items...
At the dealership it kept defaulting to force me to order the 12" screen for another 2k. We tried all sorts of variations but it all came back to requiring me to order the larger screen. I walked away and contacted Reid Bigland (found his email address online) who, if I remember, is CEO of Ram North America and voiced my opinion about how the build online for consumers allows me to do this exact build but not at the dealership. He passed me onto a member of his team who took a special interest in this build. After two plus weeks and good follow up (Mike MacDonald did a great job) the answer came back the same. Can't get the regular screen in Level One...only the 12". I have yet to get an answer on how long this will be in effect. To say this is a bummer when I have been waiting all year to do this is putting it mildly. I can only hope that it corrects itself by the 2020 builds. By the way...how can anyone not order a truck without the 33 gal. tank. It is a cheap upgrade and gives so much in return!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is disappointing when the online build & price tool doesn't match what the dealership screens show. But one has to realize, there are literally THOUSANDS of variables in any vehicle getting built, and just one break in that chain can stop a given build, or cause temporary unavailability. Like an issue where a supplier of 8.4" screens is behind on shipments, but supplier of 12" screens is ahead, so Production Control makes changes to packages, and/or to dealer's ordering screens, to reflect the actual availability of parts and force orders to the more-available parts.

That said, there are some really screwy, head-scratching instances wherein it makes absolutely zero sense to those of us on the outside why a given option is either forced to be included, or made unavailable to order, depending on other options chosen earlier in the process. The logic of interdependencies and the number or possible combinations is mind-boggling, and, like the US economy, I suspect that no one truly understands how it really works.

Good on you for contacting Reid Bigland's office directly, that's a real advantage you want to keep quiet and keep in your pocket for the times you really need it.

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
It is disappointing when the online build & price tool doesn't match what the dealership screens show. But one has to realize, there are literally THOUSANDS of variables in any vehicle getting built, and just one break in that chain can stop a given build, or cause temporary unavailability. Like an issue where a supplier of 8.4" screens is behind on shipments, but supplier of 12" screens is ahead, so Production Control makes changes to packages, and/or to dealer's ordering screens, to reflect the actual availability of parts and force orders to the more-available parts.

That said, there are some really screwy, head-scratching instances wherein it makes absolutely zero sense to those of us on the outside why a given option is either forced to be included, or made unavailable to order, depending on other options chosen earlier in the process. The logic of interdependencies and the number or possible combinations is mind-boggling, and, like the US economy, I suspect that no one truly understands how it really works.

Good on you for contacting Reid Bigland's office directly, that's a real advantage you want to keep quiet and keep in your pocket for the times you really need it.
I just received an update on this. Believe it has been resolved. Keep you posted.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running into the same issue here in Nebraska ..
I have to order the Hemi (without eTorque) if I want the Panoramic Roof.
They are still trying to get what I want ..

Tim N

Chavez98

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem. I wanted the level 1 with the smaller screen. I delayed my order until they find out why I could build it online but not the dealer. I ended buying something from the lot due to the current month’s discount.

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem. I wanted the level 1 with the smaller screen. I delayed my order until they find out why I could build it online but not the dealer. I ended buying something from the lot due to the current month’s discount.
Small world...I as well. It turned out that I could do the build as I wanted but with the incentives I saved 1k by not buying a 33gal. tank. As much as I wanted the extra capacity I gave it up for a truck found out of state that the dealer is bringing in. My only second guess is that it is a late April build and I could have had the latest updates done on my build. Hope I didn't guess wrong. I suspect I could change my mind tomorrow but boy it sure would be nice to have that truck sooner rather than later.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very lucky in that if they cannot order the truck I specified, I just pay off my Durango R/T instead and wait to order the 2020 next summer.

Beendare

Reaction score
By the way...how can anyone not order a truck without the 33 gal. tank. It is a cheap upgrade and gives so much in return!

Yeah well, my buddy has one on his 19 limited, and first fishing trip launching in Berkeley [SF Bay Area] and we came back to a huge pool of fuel on the ground behind his new truck. Seems one of the [many!] local homeless drilled a hole in his tank and drained it into a can, letting all of the rest of the fuel run out on the ground. The new tanks can be punctured with a Swiss army knife it seems.

I've heard the same story- punctured fuel tank- from a couple other buddies recently- one down in Los Angeles area. BTW, its a $1600 fix and around here you have to wait for the part. The other bad thing about a 33g tank here in Ca with fuel high is a lot of the stations shut off the pump at $100- some at $75. So then you have to restart the pump to fill it up.

I dunno if that's a reason NOT to order a 33g tank- I want one.

EZout

Reaction score
Yeah well, my buddy has one on his 19 limited, and first fishing trip launching in Berkeley [SF Bay Area] and we came back to a huge pool of fuel on the ground behind his new truck. Seems one of the [many!] local homeless drilled a hole in his tank and drained it into a can, letting all of the rest of the fuel run out on the ground. The new tanks can be punctured with a Swiss army knife it seems.

I've heard the same story- punctured fuel tank- from a couple other buddies recently- one down in Los Angeles area. BTW, its a $1600 fix and around here you have to wait for the part. The other bad thing about a 33g tank here in Ca with fuel high is a lot of the stations shut off the pump at $100- some at $75. So then you have to restart the pump to fill it up.

I dunno if that's a reason NOT to order a 33g tank- I want one.

Are both the std. capacity fuel tank and the 33 gal version plastic?

Gottabdxheese

Reaction score
Are both the std. capacity fuel tank and the 33 gal version plastic?
My 26gal tank was just drilled today. Thieves forgot their drill and hole drill bit, so they won’t be ruining anyone else’s tanks today. The looked all plastic, although the inside looks a different color than the black exterior. I’m worried about the shavings that are now in the tank. Not looking forward to that repair bill.

Raydar

Reaction score
My 26gal tank was just drilled today. Thieves forgot their drill and hole drill bit, so they won’t be ruining anyone else’s tanks today. The looked all plastic, although the inside looks a different color than the black exterior. I’m worried about the shavings that are now in the tank. Not looking forward to that repair bill.
Sorry you got drilled.
I wouldn't sweat the shavings too much. The gas running out probably would have removed most - if not all - of them.
The rest are probably so large that the pump "sock" or at least the fuel filter will get them.

Users who are viewing this thread