5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rebel Rusting?

RT75

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 Rebel in September. I have about 2500 miles on it. Do not live near ocean and no off road yet. Does this look normal? B3B8F2D0-B4B3-4CC5-81F8-DE7512B1B915.jpeg

KRField

Reaction score
Looks like a poor coating job. I have 95,000 miles on my 19 and it does not look like that.

But if you think that is bad you should take a look at the 2021 F150 debacle with that.

I chalk it up to pushing production out the door to meet demand and poor oversight on quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT75

Reaction score
Looks like a poor coating job. I have 95,000 miles on my 19 and it does not look like that.

But if you think that is bad you should take a look at the 2021 F150 debacle with that.

I chalk it up to pushing production out the door to meet demand and poor oversight on quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feed back. Dont get me wrong I love my truck, but I want to make sure dealer is aware if its gonna be an issue down the road.

Rowan11b

Reaction score
It's a good idea to touch up the bottom of your truck with some black paint right when you pull it off the lot, the frames and axles are coated before assembly and they are moved around by forklifts, this means large patches of paint being rubbed off, it also means the components may have been sitting outside a factory for awhile. So touch up when new, then wash and fluid film the bottom of your truck with a half dozen cans before each winter.

RT75

Reaction score
It's a good idea to touch up the bottom of your truck with some black paint right when you pull it off the lot, the frames and axles are coated before assembly and they are moved around by forklifts, this means large patches of paint being rubbed off, it also means the components may have been sitting outside a factory for awhile. So touch up when new, then wash and fluid film the bottom of your truck with a half dozen cans before each winter.
Thanks for the tip. I am planning to do a clean and touch up. I will be adding the fliid film too.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I am planning to do a clean and touch up. I will be adding the fliid film too.

Look up the product "Penetrol".
I've only done a little research on it, but I'm thinking if needed, I might coat the underside of my truck with it.

Oil based, REALLY seeps into hard to get to places, and is a good rust fighter.
Inexpensive too IIRC.

I've put a pin in that theory to research further, just sharing it incase it works for you too!

Users who are viewing this thread