5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RAM Owner

FLATLINER

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Recent, new to me, owner of a loaded 2020 1500 Limited with 50,000 miles on the clock, in Tampa, FL. Bone stock, running Goodyear Eagle Touring 285/45R22.

I came from a lifted, tuned, PowerStop brakes equipped, 2015 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost, that I drove hard for 8 years 100,000 miles, and had 120,xxx miles on it when the transmission let go. (Never changed the rear differential from the stock 3.31, with 35x12.50s) lesson learned…

Loving the luxury the RAM offers, the high speed highway cruising capabilities/composure, and the Automatic All Wheel Drive in the rain, but missing the low end torque, throttle response, and handling of my old big tired Ford.

Goals for truck are to have a competent high speed highway/interstate cruiser, with strong low end torque, aggressive throttle response, ability to get in and out of muddy terrain without getting stuck, and be able to hit big water puddles at 70mph without having to worry about hydroplaning.

I have increased the tire pressures to 40psi cold at all four corners and that has helped with some of the marshmallowly handling. Truck obviously has great potential, just on the quest to make it feel more truck-like.

If you guys want to point me in any direction I’d love to hear some feedback as the customization options are nearly boundless for these trucks, it seems like. I’ve nearly gone snowblind looking for information on tuning/lifts/tire options etc. As you know it is extremely difficult to find high quality information on this type of thing since no two owners seem to follow the same route.

The air ride system seems to limit lifting options, but for now looking at Revel products and weighing the pros/cons of Banks PedalMonster vs. getting a new standalone ECU since you can’t just tune the RAM, from a reputable, reliable, safe etc. tuning company. Would probably aim for widest 33” mud tires, maybe 35”, retaining stock wheels, as I am not looking at installing a full suspension lift on this one.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to seeing what the RAM community has to offer. Attached pics of new and old rides.

IMG_4297.jpeg IMG_2368.jpeg

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats! 285/55R22 will fit stock, might need a heat gun for the plastic liners in front. Many recommend Revel lift. I would replace the rear oem shocks for the Bilstein 5100's for a better feel. Bilstein site claim they have none, same as standard coil suspension. Front is different.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get rid of the junk oem tires and let the air back down, likely to like 36 psi.
Periallis AS3 are a decent tire for highway and light snow not sure about mud though. Bigger change in handling if you get smaller rims though for sure. 22s are not truck like whatsoever.

You can send your ECM to be unlocked, 0 reason to replace.
Diablosport does their unlocks in FL and I was only without my truck for a few days while it shipped down and back, unlock was done in under a day and was back to me ASAP. Typically they sell an ECM swap where they send you a used ECM and you send yours back as a core (I recommend keeping your unit and getting it unlocked due to different revisions)

Banks pedal monster also had 0 to do with an unlocked/tuned ECM. It's just a throttle booster, even with my Diablo tuner I use a like device to adjust the throttle curve of the oem peddle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Recent, new to me, owner of a loaded 2020 1500 Limited with 50,000 miles on the clock, in Tampa, FL. Bone stock, running Goodyear Eagle Touring 285/45R22.

I came from a lifted, tuned, PowerStop brakes equipped, 2015 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost, that I drove hard for 8 years 100,000 miles, and had 120,xxx miles on it when the transmission let go. (Never changed the rear differential from the stock 3.31, with 35x12.50s) lesson learned…

Loving the luxury the RAM offers, the high speed highway cruising capabilities/composure, and the Automatic All Wheel Drive in the rain, but missing the low end torque, throttle response, and handling of my old big tired Ford.

Goals for truck are to have a competent high speed highway/interstate cruiser, with strong low end torque, aggressive throttle response, ability to get in and out of muddy terrain without getting stuck, and be able to hit big water puddles at 70mph without having to worry about hydroplaning.

I have increased the tire pressures to 40psi cold at all four corners and that has helped with some of the marshmallowly handling. Truck obviously has great potential, just on the quest to make it feel more truck-like.

If you guys want to point me in any direction I’d love to hear some feedback as the customization options are nearly boundless for these trucks, it seems like. I’ve nearly gone snowblind looking for information on tuning/lifts/tire options etc. As you know it is extremely difficult to find high quality information on this type of thing since no two owners seem to follow the same route.

The air ride system seems to limit lifting options, but for now looking at Revel products and weighing the pros/cons of Banks PedalMonster vs. getting a new standalone ECU since you can’t just tune the RAM, from a reputable, reliable, safe etc. tuning company. Would probably aim for widest 33” mud tires, maybe 35”, retaining stock wheels, as I am not looking at installing a full suspension lift on this one.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to seeing what the RAM community has to offer. Attached pics of new and old rides.

View attachment 179773 View attachment 179772
Best thing with the Rams is with the coil springs rear suspension, they don't feel "truck like" and was a big selling point.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The air suspension has coils? Or was air suspension not standard on a Limited back in 2020?
Same difference. Air suspension on those optioned that way, coil springs rear on ones without they option. It's about ride quality and making it feel less "truck like" while still having all the capability a truck needs

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same difference. Air suspension on those optioned that way, coil springs rear on ones without they option. It's about ride quality and making it feel less "truck like" while still having all the capability a truck needs
For 2022 you could not option in AS, it was a standard feature for a Limited. OP did say he had air suspension too which could be his perceived less "truck like" and maybe will just get used to it.
Personally I LOVE my AS and don't notice a real difference from my previous Silverado except the Ram is smoother? (in a good way) and I can get under my truck in offroad-2 with the side steps that retract out of the way.

Blackdog.Tx

Reaction score
Based on your goals, you may consider an AT 305/45R22. These ar 12" wide and 32.8" tall. They rub slightly at full steering lock, especially when Air Suspension is lowered. Aside from that, I liked the Nitto Ridge Grappler 305/45R22.

I love the AS for hauling and towing!!!! It changed my life.

I'm getting Toyo Open Country AT3's 305/45R22, that are actually being installed as I type this comment.... due to Nitto RG not available this week. I ran Toyo OC AT's (35's) on my 2004 F-150 Lariate, successfully on challenging trails.

I purchased my 2020 Limited 4X4, pic attached, with the Nitto RG's, Dec. 2020 with 18,000 miles....now I have 41,000 miles. Yeah, low mileage... I ride my MC 90% when I'm not towing.

I ran Nitto RG's 12,000 miles in Texas and now 11,000 miles in Florida. I primarily I use the RAM for camping, fishing, towing boat, and hauling misc. The Nitto's ran great on challenging offroad.... honestly, I was surprised I didnt need my traction boards or ropes. And they get great traction on ****ty/slimy boat ramps.

I ran high speeds on dry highway. That said, I slow down in rain. I never hydroplane at speed limit. But the Nitto RG's spin on wet pavement when hard on throttle from stop... not trying to spin, my foot doesnt resist gravity well.

I went to the Toyo OC AT3 due to Nitto RG not available as I needed tires this week. I analyzed many reviews, I concluded Toyo OC AT3s very similar to Nitto RG's. Both have mixed reports in rain. Some say either is better in rain... some say Toyo better on wet pavement but hydroplaned. hydroplane. Mixed reviews...

I also considered Hankook Dynapro AT2.

Finding 305/45R22 was difficult... the Toyo OC's are readily available at Tires Plus in Tampa area this week.

Happy RAMming...

Attachments

• DSCN9911.JPG
    DSCN9911.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/