5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - Being here is bittersweet

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member.

Now, here is the reason my membership here is bittersweet. On August 10, on a clear sunny day, an idiot turned in front of me on the service road and the truck I’ve been building, since I bought it new back in 2006, is now a pile of scrap metal. The impact was at about 50 mph or so and was intense. He never saw me, which I find very strange considering that I drive a large diesel truck and I drive with my lights and fog lights on. This truck was my dream truck. I’ve spent about $30K in modifications and countless hours of hard work over the years and built it to be exactly the way I wanted it. Even though it was almost 15 years old, it looked brand new. Not one stain on the carpet or leather seats. Paint was in great condition with no body damage. I always parked on the outskirts of parking lots to avoid door dings and very rarely allowed any eating inside. I could still, after all these years, park it and look back while walking away and say that it looks great and I’m happy with what I built. I got tons of compliments. I know it’s an old truck and the only one that sees the value of it is me. I’m just furious that someone does something stupid and I have to pay for it. They obviously can't give me enough money to buy a new diesel and I just finished building a house, so I’m going to be house broke for quite a few years. So, no spare money for another build. Physically, everyone walked away, which is a miracle. I have some injuries that I’m dealing with, but I’m alive. So, I lost a paid-off, custom truck with low mileage, a lot of go fast parts and an incredible stereo system, because of the actions of some moron. This just pisses me off so much.

My old truck and mods
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 2WD Mega-Cab Laramie
575 HP 1036 TQ
S&B Intake
GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold
HTT 64/65/13SS
ATS Exhaust Manifold
Silverline 4" Turbo-Back Exhaust
Arson II CP3 Mod.
PureFlow Air Dog 150
F1 Flux 1.8 Injectors
Goerend Torque Converter
Goerend Valve Body
DTT Flex Plate
Sonnax 1 Piece Billet Input Shaft
Mag-Hytec Trans. Pan
Isspro Performax Gauges
EFI Live
TS Perf. MP-8
GDP Tank Vent Mod. & Filter Delete
Quadzilla Boost Fooler

The other guy's insurance company gave me a super low-ball offer and was trying to scam me out of my money, so my insurance company is stepping up and taking care of me.........sort of. They are giving me a dollar amount in a more realistic range, as far as value of the vehicle itself. This ends up being around twice what the other insurance company was offering me. I’m still not getting anything for the $30K in mods. With the vehicle being totaled, and it being at a Copart facility, they will not authorize it to be towed back to me so I could swap out my turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc. back to stock. So, most of my mods are a loss. They won’t even allow it to leave the facility if I pay for the tow. They did give me the opportunity to go to Copart and remove some items. I retrieved my train horn system, gauges and few other items. The other insurance company would not continue a rental car for me to allow me to find another vehicle. I could not justify, nor afford, to buy another new diesel. And, I didn’t feel comfortable buying a used one that I don’t know the history of. I loved building the truck to where it was and really enjoyed driving it. But, I very rarely ever needed to tow anything more than what a gas truck would tow. Buying back my truck was too costly and I just don’t have the time right now to build one truck out of two. I just have too many things on my plate right now. So, I just decided to go buy a new truck. I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab. I like the truck, but it’s just not the same. I still really miss my truck.

For anyone looking for a truck that still has a lot of good parts on it, along with a built transmission, turbo, modified injectors, upgraded intake and exhaust manifolds, cold air kit, etc., it will soon be available at the Dallas Copart auction.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/5.9 Cummins
Copart Dallas South
Lot# 47698260

Also, to add to my good luck, I owned my new truck for just a few days and found that it is leaking water into the back of the cab when it rains. Back carpet is wet. Probably third brake light or rear window. So, now it’s back at the dealership for who knows how long. Here are some pics of the new truck.

image10.jpegimage11.jpegimage4.jpegimage3.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpegimage0.jpegimage2.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new truck.

I feel your pain. I'm coming from a 2003 F-250 that was my pride and joy. 11 years of ownership and did all my own wrenching. It was not as pristine as yours but it was a mechanical beast. $30K+ invested into it over the last 3 years and less than a year into new performance injectors and tuning when I got speared by a Jeep on the freeway.

I love all the new tech but I miss being able to fix just about anything with wrenches and sockets instead of a computer.

Brian42,

I hear ya. Mechanical fixes are typically easy to fix. Electrical fixes can be eternal nightmares. I know, I have a Jeep LJ plagued by the yellow light of death. Codes galore and no known fixes. Been dealing with that for years. Owning a new vehicle that is almost all electronic, is very scary.

Congrats on the new truck, sorry about the old one. Offer to buy back the salvage if you can get more back from selling the mods than they are charging for the salvage. That suggestion may be late, if the settlement is over and you’ve transferred it.

At least you are okay. Your old truck was a nice truck. Get that leak in your new one straightened out, and you will like the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back