5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here

Anynameyouwish

Reaction score
I currently have a 2007 5.3L hemi nearing 200,000 miles. The engine will far outlast the body. I am looking at getting a new one. Here’s my question: 3.0 ecodiesel or 2500 Cummins? I do about 90% highway miles with a round trip commute of about 80 miles per day. I like the idea of the excellent gas mileage of the ecodiesel but I am wondering what the best possible mpg is with a 2500 Cummins? The truck only tows me, nothing else. Thoughts?

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
I recommend the 3.0L EcoDiesel for daily driving as you can expect upwards of 28 miles per gallon in comparison to the 6.7L Cummins getting upwards of 15 miles per gallon. Both have different purposes. If you go with the half ton EcoDiesel, I suggest getting the 3.92 axle ratio to eliminate any potential towing issues with the truck.

Its the difference between being able to pull 8,230lbs and 9,9,30lbs with a Crew Cab 4x2 5'7" bed.
It is the difference between being able to pull 7,840lbs and 9,540lbs with a Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" bed.

You may never need to tow that much, but it's better to have it and never use it, than need it and not have truck that is job rated by RAM to do it. The 3.92 gearing also helps with acceleration. In regards to axle gear ratios, the higher the number the better the truck will accelerate, but at the expense of high speed cruising.

Attached is the chart showing those figures.

Attachments

• 2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Towing Chart.pdf
    165.9 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread