5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New HEMI Motor timelines

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No but you’ll be paying $15,000 for a new engine once out of warranty.
Extended warranties are a money grab for the companies that sell them. 9 times out of 10, the person who buys one never has enough repairs to match the cost of the warranty. Easy money for the company issuing it. The few times a major repair is needed, they money they made off of those who don't use it more than pays for it.

And dealers get kick backs for selling them.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Extended warranties are a money grab for the companies that sell them. 9 times out of 10, the person who buys one never has enough repairs to match the cost of the warranty. Easy money for the company issuing it. The few times a major repair is needed, they money they made off of those who don't use it more than pays for it.

Same can be said for auto insurance and or home insurance. Some people can go their whole lives of living in a home or driving and not file a claim. These things are usually good to cover your bases and make one feel at ease for future unknowns. @HSKR R/T i dont think we need to get into a debate of who’s right or wrong on this topic………

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same can be said for auto insurance and or home insurance. Some people can go their whole lives of living in a home or driving and not file a claim. These things are usually good to cover your bases and make one feel at ease for future unknowns. @HSKR R/T i dont think we need to get into a debate of who’s right or wrong on this topic………
Other than the fact the vehicle insurance is required to register your vehicle and if you have a mortgage, homeowners insurance is also required.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than the fact the vehicle insurance is required to register your vehicle and if you have a mortgage, homeowners insurance is also required.
Lol ok more practical application… home warranty. I’ve bought one on all the properties I’ve owned and got my moneys worth from them. some people hate them or find them useless but I love them and have saved $1000’s w/ them.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of warranty, I wouldn't use the OEM lifters, plus a tune on a rebuilt or hi-perf shop build and Bob's ur uncle. :giggle:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If zim out of warranty, and spending that much money, it sure as hell wont be a stock Kotor going back in. I can build a motor for decent power for $15k, and don't need a brand new Mopar long block to do it.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I understand the intake is plastic, but air coming into it isn't under pressure. If your telling me that that metal shavings have somehow etched their way into the manifold, I'm not convinced. That's why I suggested the OP have them show him. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but that if the dealer is going to make him wait half a year to get his truck, make them prove it.

If the engine had an intake vale open while the internal failure occurred, trash can easily comeback through the open intake valve and imbed itself into the intake or get trapped in the oil film that's in the intake. Short of completely disassembling the intake, you cannot 100% guarantee that the metal it may contain will not be re-introduced into the new engine upon starting then you've trashed a new engine and wasted all that work.

This is the intake from my previous truck (HEMI) broke a valve spring and backfired through the intake blowing it apart. Look at all the internal passages and crevices for trash to hide, no way I'd try to reuse a intake, radiator, oil cooler or any coolant/oil lines from an engine that came apart
05f1fbef17404ecd858c55fe8c3ad874.jpeg

77450b2cb5324765afe587a42fd5247f (1).jpeg

BowDown

Reaction score

Not really, its a predictive gamble.
If you buy the extended warranty and have no issues, the insurance company wins however if you have at least 2 issues, you more than likely come out ahead.
My previous truck, I didn't opt for the warranty but Gen 3 are light years behind the Gen 5. My Gen 3 broke a valve spring at 270k miles, lost a water pump at 177k miles and needed a new condenser fan around the same time.

My gen 5 just had the AC TSB done and the exhaust manifolds done under the extended warranty. I paid $2300 for the 7/unlimited warranty, the exhaust manifold repair pays 5 hours and the Ac repair 8 plus parts @$120 an hour shop rate. Thats $1500 in labor alone and I'm certain the parts were another $1000 easily. My warranty has already paid for itself.
Yes the ones who never make a claim offset the ones that do but that's how insurance works

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol ok more practical application… home warranty. I’ve bought one on all the properties I’ve owned and got my moneys worth from them. some people hate them or find them useless but I love them and have saved $1000’s w/ them.
There's a difference, though. The MOPAR extended warranty gets you the same level of service you'd pay for at the dealership, for better or worse.

Everything I've experienced with home warranties to date (i.e., warranties such as AHS that sellers have put on the houses we've bought in order to make the sale more attractive) has been terrible. I have the home warranty company "fix" whatever is broken, and then I have it reinspected. I've had to have warranty contractors come out three times just to make a single repair meet code. And then I've still had to hire a contractor that actually knows what they're doing after the fact to "make it right".

HemiDude

Reaction score
If the engine had an intake vale open while the internal failure occurred, trash can easily comeback through the open intake valve and imbed itself into the intake or get trapped in the oil film that's in the intake. Short of completely disassembling the intake, you cannot 100% guarantee that the metal it may contain will not be re-introduced into the new engine upon starting then you've trashed a new engine and wasted all that work.

This is the intake from my previous truck (HEMI) broke a valve spring and backfired through the intake blowing it apart. Look at all the internal passages and crevices for trash to hide, no way I'd try to reuse a intake, radiator, oil cooler or any coolant/oil lines from an engine that came apart
View attachment 163901

View attachment 163902
I see your point, and you also help me make mine. Yours had something break, which in turn ruined the manifold. OP had metal shavings and a tick. And I'm not saying his manifold can't be compromised, but unless the engine sounded like it was coming apart, imo it would be unlikely. What I suggested is that if his dealer is going to hold up the entire job for just a manifold, have them show him why.

Would I expect all new parts if my engine blew? Absolutely. Would I accept getting the runaround for months for an engine noise? Absolutely not.

BowDown

Reaction score
I see your point, and you also help me make mine. Yours had something break, which in turn ruined the manifold. OP had metal shavings and a tick. And I'm not saying his manifold can't be compromised, but unless the engine sounded like it was coming apart, imo it would be unlikely. What I suggested is that if his dealer is going to hold up the entire job for just a manifold, have them show him why.

Would I expect all new parts if my engine blew? Absolutely. Would I accept getting the runaround for months for an engine noise? Absolutely not.

And what I'm suggesting is why risk a new engine and all that labor over a $500 intake? While it may be improbable that the intake has metal in it, its not improbable enough that I'd risk it.
I've seen pieces of a broken rod in an intake, crazy S happens at RPM's higher than idle.
As for the run around over engine noise, parts availability dictates the wait. I've been waiting on pistons for an LSX build for 60 days now, engine has been at the engine builder since March. There's a parts delay/shortage, there's a labor shortage for people to make those parts so yeah, I'm not surprised by a few months of waiting, that doesn't mean Id be happy or ok with it but it is what it is.

GMetal

Reaction score
The parts delay and shortage is crazy. Engine blocks that used to be in stock are at least 3-4 months out. Seems like everything I need is on backorder. Still waiting for a specialty battery from years ago. Seems like everyone is feeling these pains.

mffdvr

Reaction score
I was just told I need a new motor due to bottom-end tick leading them to think it's a blown rod or piston. 21k miles on it so it's under warranty, but I'll likely be selling once resolved. I poured a ton into it post-purchase (tires, tonneau, tints, exhaust, etc) and am super frustrated with all of the recalls, window leaks and now this all within 24 months. Come on... :cautious:

mffdvr

Reaction score
My service guy seemed to think 5.7L eTorque wasn't on backorder and should be a couple weeks. He'll know more once he finishes and submits his paperwork "in a couple days". I sure hope he's right on the timeline, but the fact that he's mentioned "a couple days" for paperwork more than once gets me heated moreso than just the simple frustration of the vehicle.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This isn't always true.
In Iowa, you can register without insurance. I had my insurance proof in hand at the time I registered a recently acquired car. The clerk said we don't require proof of insurance. I put it back in my pocket and left with IA plates.

It's still a legal requirement to drive on public roads though.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This isn't always true.
In Iowa, you can register without insurance. I had my insurance proof in hand at the time I registered a recently acquired car. The clerk said we don't require proof of insurance. I put it back in my pocket and left with IA plates.

It's still a legal requirement to drive on public roads though.
Those of us in border states will be sure and get the word out that insurance is not required and urge those who are paperwork-light to make the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/