5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Guy with a strange issue.

Shamash

Reaction score
Purchased a 2021 Ram with 5.7 4x4 Big Horn, with off road package about 2 months ago. Bought it with 35k miles from a Chevrolet dealer. Like most times, the dealer serviced the truck and did an oil change. After 2 months of normal driving and a 1800 mile road trip everything was fine and I was quite happy with the purchase. The weather turned cold and I pulled the truck out of my carport to work on an ATV somewhat out of the weather. After an hour I went to get a flashlight out of the truck and noticed about a half a quart of engine oil on the ground. I climbed under to see what the hell happened, and the oil filter was loose. I tightend it up and got about a turn and a half on it. They had installed an AC Delco PF 48 oil filter, which is not the correct filter. It's supposed to be a PF 48B (I think). Took it to a local shop and had them look at it and change the filter. The mechanic looked up the filter and said although the filter is not the correct one it should still work. My question is (after a stupidly long explanation), why did the filter start leaking after 2 months and over 2000 miles of driving? It was the first time that I can recall I didn't fully get the engine up to operating temperature after starting it. Normally if a loose oil filter is going to leak you'll notice it after first start up , there was not a drop of leakage where I normally park. The oil level was in the normal range before (checked before road trip) and about half a quart low after leak. Any thoughts on this issue?

Shamash

Reaction score
2 things. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section and there was not double gaskets on the oil filter.

Shamash

Reaction score
Welcome first of all, and I would say the oil change guy at the dealer has a weak wrist?
Would definitely agree! You know they had the least experienced guy doing the easy job of a simple oil change. And I'm sure it was the same guy that changed the wiper blades and left the protective plastic on. That was fun to find first time driving in the rain!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Chevy dealerships are bad enough. Give them a Ram to work on and even worse. The oil filter is in a meme location on the 4x4 so the person probably said screw it and left it loose. You could of been leaking oil for a while, there are lots of spaces it can collect then it finally got loose to poured it all out.

How low were you after it drained out? Or did you just dump it all and refill with the correct filter and oil at the shop?

Shamash

Reaction score
Chevy dealerships are bad enough. Give them a Ram to work on and even worse. The oil filter is in a meme location on the 4x4 so the person probably said screw it and left it loose. You could of been leaking oil for a while, there are lots of spaces it can collect then it finally got loose to poured it all out.

How low were you after it drained out? Or did you just dump it all and refill with the correct filter and oil at the shop?
Don't think it was leaking before my driveway dump. Not a drop of oil where I normally park. It was only down about a quart after replacing with the correct filter. So I would say only half a quart is what dumped in the driveway.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was the Gm filter more narrow or wider than the correct one? The gasket may not have been able to seat correctly on the flat space.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't think it was leaking before my driveway dump. Not a drop of oil where I normally park. It was only down about a quart after replacing with the correct filter. So I would say only half a quart is what dumped in the driveway.
Half a quart down is no problem, sounds like it just want on tight enough or a poor fit. Sounds like you got it taken care of now at least.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was the Gm filter more narrow or wider than the correct one? The gasket may not have been able to seat correctly on the flat space.
The PF48 is correct filter for our trucks. But it has been discontinued and the PF48E is new part number. There are differences in design, but both are "correct" for a Ram. But I personally would not run either. I'd stick with Mopar or mobil1

Gobassin

Reaction score
The PF48 is correct filter for our trucks. But it has been discontinued and the PF48E is new part number. There are differences in design, but both are "correct" for a Ram. But I personally would not run either. I'd stick with Mopar or mobil1
Ditto on the Mopar or Mobil ! I also tighten with the wrench, never had it leak...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on the Mopar or Mobil ! I also tighten with the wrench, never had it leak...
No need to use a wrench. Should be able to spin the filter off by hand during oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread