5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 23 Rebel: Opinion on Options pls

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm about to put an order in on a new 23 Rebel Delmonico red 2-tone, loaded with MFT.
Last 2 Rams I've owned didn't have Ramboxes and now I'm entertaining this as an option just to hide away small loose items and keep cabin clean. Do you like your Rambox? How bad does it warp over time? If warped, do you regret this option?

Bed Utility Group...what actually comes with this...meaning as a bed divider? Is it a straight hard plastic piece or curved? I've found conflicting pictures. Does the divider come with only Rambox option? Anyone got pics of new 22 or 23s with this?

Lastly, based on reading, ev1 seems to hate the Mopar soft trifold tonneau cover. Is this really junk and should I just not add to the build and get aftermarket?

Thx in advance for your comments, opinions and pics!

Can you wait? The 2024 model year is the mid-cycle refresh, and should be introduced in a few months. There will likely still be time to order a 2023 before the 2024 order books open up in case you don't like the refresh design.

With an incoming refresh and the 2023 heading out, you should be able to negotiate a better price as well.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
here's a link to the wide pics of my tonneau. just for more info.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 155881 View attachment 155882 View attachment 155883
I have her backed in rn so I cant get a wide shot but you can see, I have the ram boxes and I have the silver rails. I also have the split tailgate but that didnt factor into this cover. It came with the inserts that slide into the top of the silver rails. Also i'm realizing now that i didn't understand you were talking about a truck with the black rails at first... thats my bad. But, for the record, ram-box trucks do come with the silver rails i just don't know what determines that one way or the other at the factory...

Edit: here’s the one I bought

extang Solid Fold 2.0 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 83424 | Fits 2019 - 2023 Dodge Ram w/Rambox w/ and w/o Multi-Function (Split) Tailgate 5' 7" Bed (67.4") , Black https://a.co/d/j9Qqyao
Yeah Silverails will work with any cover that fits a Rambox truck.

Lots of trims and packages are forced into the free tri-fold cover. that triggers the black rails with Ramboxes as the soft cover doesn't fit the Silver rails.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah Silverails will work with any cover that fits a Rambox truck.

Lots of trims and packages are forced into the free tri-fold cover. that triggers the black rails with Ramboxes as the soft cover doesn't fit the Silver rails.

Yessir, but this is what i was referring to:

"...it requires silver rails which doesn't come on a Rambox truck. there is no top channel in the factory rail on Ramboxes, it's solid flat and only open at the ends."

My silver rails are factory rails, on a rambox truck. Thats what i was saying, and why i misunderstood that you were talkin about the black rails...

So when i ordered i got the ramboxes and MFT, and the bed utility group, but i didn't want the soft cover. So i guess had i opted for the Mopar soft cover, i would have gotten the black rails instead? Weird and kinda crappy they do that to a customer. esp w/o explaining it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yessir, but this is what i was referring to:

My silver rails are factory rails, on a rambox truck. Thats what i was saying, and why i misunderstood that you were talkin about the black rails...

So when i ordered i got the ramboxes and MFT, and the bed utility group, but i didn't want the soft cover. So i guess had i opted for the Mopar soft cover, i would have gotten the black rails instead? Weird and kinda crappy they do that to a customer. esp w/o explaining it.
Yes pretty much.
Also if you got a Limited the soft cover is forced on you, you can't "opt out". Pretty poor design imo.
Seems 90% of the people here at least get black rails on their Rambox truck

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes pretty much.
Also if you got a Limited the soft cover is forced on you, you can't "opt out". Pretty poor design imo.
Seems 90% of the people here at least get black rails on their Rambox truck
Damn that SUX! especially on a trim that high.

edgarrian

Reaction score
rambox is a good idea in theory but its really not. Especially if you are picky about how it lines up. Its why I didnt go with it. Sound idea but how would it ever keep the same line. I would bother me.. My dad had it on one of his pickups. He didnt care for it at all.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I'm about to put an order in on a new 23 Rebel Delmonico red 2-tone, loaded with MFT.
Last 2 Rams I've owned didn't have Ramboxes and now I'm entertaining this as an option just to hide away small loose items and keep cabin clean. Do you like your Rambox? How bad does it warp over time? If warped, do you regret this option?

Bed Utility Group...what actually comes with this...meaning as a bed divider? Is it a straight hard plastic piece or curved? I've found conflicting pictures. Does the divider come with only Rambox option? Anyone got pics of new 22 or 23s with this?

Lastly, based on reading, ev1 seems to hate the Mopar soft trifold tonneau cover. Is this really junk and should I just not add to the build and get aftermarket?

Thx in advance for your comments, opinions and pics!
I passed on the Ramboxes because all of my loose junk fits in the in-floor storage or under the rear seat. If I was going to put speakers under the rear seat, I would have absolutely gone with Ramboxes. I have an approximately 8" x 14" ratchet set, emergency kit, ratchet straps, tow rope, and a jumpbox all in the floor / underseat. I wanted the fullest size bed because I have a truck bed tent and like to go camping.

No bed divider with my BUG. Just the LED lights and the rails with cleats. I think you have to have the Ramboxes to get the divider, but I'm not positive.

I've never liked the idea of a tonneau cover, but that's just my personal preference. The seats fold down in the wife's SUV, so if I need to haul something large that can't get wet, I put it in there. Or I wait for a sunny day :p

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No bed divider with my BUG. Just the LED lights and the rails with cleats. I think you have to have the Ramboxes to get the divider, but I'm not positive.
Regular beds don't come with it, you can buy a bed extender that is like a bed divider if you really want though.
Also those ratcheting metal bars too.

Users who are viewing this thread