5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2022 RAM Rebel Night Edition orange peel factory paint job or dealer damage repaint not reported to me at purchase

GratefulDead2

Reaction score
Anyone have a new RAM truck with factory orange peel? I know its very comon these days. I am now wondering if there was lot damage or in-transit damage which required paint work and was not told to me at the time of purchasr. Wondering how to handle this. Dealer said they were unaware of the paint issue which is bs.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics? Is it throughout the truck or just in one area?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Some orange peel on the sides of the Rams seems to be common. But, without seeing pics it is hard to say if what you have is normal or not. Look inside the jams and see if you notice any over spray. That's a usual sign that paint work has been done. If not then it is probably factory paint.
Paint correction can get rid of some orange peel, but depends on the severity of the defects in the paint.

GratefulDead2

Reaction score
This is a pic of passenger side rear upper part of door where the seams meet. You can see the left side where window is is clear and the right side is really bad. This is the worst part on the truck by far. Also, there are sharp lines (no over spray) that are probably tape lines in both the driver and passenger top door jams. I am pissed. we pay over $70k for these trucks! Not sure how or who to contact at RAM. I have an independent body shop looking at it Wednesday. Ugh.

Attachments

• Orange Peel.jpg
    Orange Peel.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 127

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All vehicles have some level of orange peel, it depends on your own definition of it sometimes, but at certain angles and lighting, you should be able to see some.

What matters is how uniform it is. Does it seem to be only in one area or particularly noticeable versus surround panels? You can also get a paint depth gauge pretty cheap on Amazon and test those areas.

Typically any repaired area should be quite a bit thicker compared to the rest of the panels. That being said, if it was repaired and they at least got the paint color right, you can easily have that panel cut & buffed to match perfectly. Usually that's the step they miss after a paint repair because they needed to wait for the paint to cure after a paint job and never got back to it.

I also understand that if that was the case it would suck, nobody wants to buy a new car that was already repaired. But first verify that it was actually repaired.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Looks normal for a factory paint job. A $2-3000 paint correction should fix it. Good luck.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
This is a pic of passenger side rear upper part of door where the seams meet. You can see the left side where window is is clear and the right side is really bad. This is the worst part on the truck by far. Also, there are sharp lines (no over spray) that are probably tape lines in both the driver and passenger top door jams. I am pissed. we pay over $70k for these trucks! Not sure how or who to contact at RAM. I have an independent body shop looking at it Wednesday. Ugh.
That looks terrible.

wsutard1

Reaction score
To expand on what someone said. You can tell if something is up by looking at how uniform the orange peel is. Yes, these trucks have orange peel and lots of it. If your door area looks different than the other areas then more than likely something is up.

You also mentioned tape lines. You won’t see those in factory paint since the truck is painted (dipped?) all at once.

Now as to what you can do about this? Either fix it yourself ( I wouldn’t recommend) or… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You took possession. It’s going to be really difficult to prove that something is up.

As to why I said I wouldn’t “fix” it or paint correct. In order to fix orange peel you need to sand down the clear coat. The clear protects the paint from UV exposure. Take too much off and you risk having the clear fail. When the clear fails you get what you see on 90s Chevys, splotchy paint, areas without paint, discolored paint.

Yes, it will look better for a few years. Hell, it might not even fail. But if it does, you won’t be happy at all. And then good luck selling it.

nought

Reaction score
My 2020 ram was the first new vehicle I have bought. I found out that pretty much every vehicle no matter the price has some paint issues when they arrive and the lesson is to look over the vehicle throughly and get the dealer to agree to a paint correction if needed. Today of course it is so much harder to even get your vehicle I image they would say pound sand and sell it to the 10 other guys waiting to over pay.

Good luck with your new truck. I would also suggest finding quality company to do the paint correction. Make sure they know what they are doing, it can go south quickly if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/