5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 Build Questions

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" Box. I've been lurking the forums trying to get a feel for them and their options, and what to expect during the buying/negotiating process and how to work the MSRP/Invoice amounts and things like that. I'm planning on doing a custom build (I guess you would call it?) because the dealers just don't have everything I want in a truck in their inventory. My question is, (and there will probably be more), when you get different packages added to the truck, and there are duplicate items, are you essentially charged for them twice because they are part of packages? For instance, I want the Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group and also the Night Edition. Both have Power-Folding Mirrors as a part of their package. Do they eliminate any sort of dollar amount because it is listed twice? Also, are you able to delete parts of a package? Like if I didn't want the Remote Start part of the Big Horn Level 2 package because I would want to install a better aftermarket one, would the dealer be able to do anything in regards to that or is that not how it works? Thanks in advance!

Trexmx77

Reaction score
I have only purchased one other vehicle before by going through the ordering process so things may have changed. But from my experience, the dealer is only able to add or include items or packages you see available online, unless it is a dealer installed option you get after the fact. As far as pricing for those options, you would have to pay for each package, and if items overlap such as the power folding mirrors I don't think they are going to discount you any amount of money as you are selecting a package and whatever the option price for that package is is what you will be charged. So I doubt you would be able to delete any parts of a package either. What it comes with is what you get. The only things you would have a say in are the packages, and or any individual options that are available. Im sure some others that know way more than me will chime in with any other info. Good Luck to you.

Reaction score
I have only purchased one other vehicle before by going through the ordering process so things may have changed. But from my experience, the dealer is only able to add or include items or packages you see available online, unless it is a dealer installed option you get after the fact. As far as pricing for those options, you would have to pay for each package, and if items overlap such as the power folding mirrors I don't think they are going to discount you any amount of money as you are selecting a package and whatever the option price for that package is is what you will be charged. So I doubt you would be able to delete any parts of a package either. What it comes with is what you get. The only things you would have a say in are the packages, and or any individual options that are available. Im sure some others that know way more than me will chime in with any other info. Good Luck to you.
Thanks. Reason I ask is while looking at a POC someone posted a while back it had a line on it that said “delete spray in bed liner” and a -$200 for the price so wasn’t sure how that came about or if it was common to be able to remove specific things or what.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, you can't delete items out of packages. (That's why they're packages 😉). It's one way they keep costs down (for them, not for us unfortunately); limit the total number of available configurations.

There's only two items I'm aware of that can be deleted: the spray in liner, and the sport hood. And I believe that's only available on trucks that come standard with those items.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" Box. I've been lurking the forums trying to get a feel for them and their options, and what to expect during the buying/negotiating process and how to work the MSRP/Invoice amounts and things like that. I'm planning on doing a custom build (I guess you would call it?) because the dealers just don't have everything I want in a truck in their inventory. My question is, (and there will probably be more), when you get different packages added to the truck, and there are duplicate items, are you essentially charged for them twice because they are part of packages? For instance, I want the Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group and also the Night Edition. Both have Power-Folding Mirrors as a part of their package. Do they eliminate any sort of dollar amount because it is listed twice? Also, are you able to delete parts of a package? Like if I didn't want the Remote Start part of the Big Horn Level 2 package because I would want to install a better aftermarket one, would the dealer be able to do anything in regards to that or is that not how it works? Thanks in advance!
Hey Skater,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I can confirm that you are not charged twice, by inspecting a window sticker that has such options. An example is on a Limited. The Limited Level 1 Equipment Group includes the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon premium sound. The Group costs $2,995. The Night Edition ALSO has the 19 speakers, and costs $3,995. If you find a Limited with both of these options and inspect the window sticker, you will see that the Level 1 is reduced to $2,295, $700 less, to account for the speakers being part of both packages. So, you're NOT double charged. There are other ways this can work as well. For example, Level 1 has all the components in the Advanced Safety Group, plus the speaker upgrade and ventilated rear seats. If you choose Level 1, the configurator will delete the Advanced Safety Group. You won't find a truck with both. Another example, on the Limited, the Night Edition includes the tri-fold tonneau cover, so you can't add it separately. Similarly, the Night Edition for Laramies includes the anti-spin differential, and you can't add it separately. So I'm confident Ram is taking care of you here.

flyfingers

Reaction score
You can do the Ram Build and Price thing online and as you build out your truck you'll see the price account for the overlapping items. Also, at the end of your build they will show you what dealers have exact or partial matches to what you're looking for. It's not a perfect system but it can help.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like if I didn't want the Remote Start part of the Big Horn Level 2 package because I would want to install a better aftermarket one, would the dealer be able to do anything in regards to that or is that not how it works? Thanks in advance!
Just because I'm curious...What aftermarket remote start device are you planning to install? I'm not saying that the one on my Ram is perfect, but it works very well. And does a decent job of working with the truck to control the HVAC and heated steering wheel and heated/cooled seats in both my trucks. All in all I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure how it could be improved, other than being able to control the temperature at which these items come on. I'd also hate having to carry a second fob in my pocket for the aftermarket remote start.

Reaction score
Hey Skater,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I can confirm that you are not charged twice, by inspecting a window sticker that has such options. An example is on a Limited. The Limited Level 1 Equipment Group includes the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon premium sound. The Group costs $2,995. The Night Edition ALSO has the 19 speakers, and costs $3,995. If you find a Limited with both of these options and inspect the window sticker, you will see that the Level 1 is reduced to $2,295, $700 less, to account for the speakers being part of both packages. So, you're NOT double charged. There are other ways this can work as well. For example, Level 1 has all the components in the Advanced Safety Group, plus the speaker upgrade and ventilated rear seats. If you choose Level 1, the configurator will delete the Advanced Safety Group. You won't find a truck with both. Another example, on the Limited, the Night Edition includes the tri-fold tonneau cover, so you can't add it separately. Similarly, the Night Edition for Laramies includes the anti-spin differential, and you can't add it separately. So I'm confident Ram is taking care of you here.
You can do the Ram Build and Price thing online and as you build out your truck you'll see the price account for the overlapping items. Also, at the end of your build they will show you what dealers have exact or partial matches to what you're looking for. It's not a perfect system but it can help.
The thing is I’m not seeing that when I price it online (or I don’t believe I am while putting together a Big Horn), which I feel like is going to impact the final price. Like I said the power mirrors are doubled up in two packages, and also something like the Class IV Tow Hitch is included on the Level 2 Big Horn Package and also the Trailer-Tow Group which I am going to get, yet neither price is compensating for that overlap that item from what I am seeing when I look at the details of Added Options on the Net Price breakdown. Maybe it’s just the site not being advanced enough, but if I end up going into a dealer who will end up using the same sort of system as I am for pricing I want to figure out if I’m going to be negotiating prices that should already be at a lower point but just aren’t showing it or something?

Reaction score
Just because I'm curious...What aftermarket remote start device are you planning to install? I'm not saying that the one on my Ram is perfect, but it works very well. And does a decent job of working with the truck to control the HVAC and heated steering wheel and heated/cooled seats in both my trucks. All in all I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure how it could be improved, other than being able to control the temperature at which these items come on. I'd also hate having to carry a second fob in my pocket for the aftermarket remote start.
Was just an example, but like something that has a longer range to it like I know they make them operate off your phone now so you can just start it on an app.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The thing is I’m not seeing that when I price it online (or I don’t believe I am while putting together a Big Horn), which I feel like is going to impact the final price. Like I said the power mirrors are doubled up in two packages, and also something like the Class IV Tow Hitch is included on the Level 2 Big Horn Package and also the Trailer-Tow Group which I am going to get, yet neither price is compensating for that overlap that item from what I am seeing when I look at the details of Added Options on the Net Price breakdown. Maybe it’s just the site not being advanced enough, but if I end up going into a dealer who will end up using the same sort of system as I am for pricing I want to figure out if I’m going to be negotiating prices that should already be at a lower point but just aren’t showing it or something?
The online configurator is flawed. It's pretty good for what it is, but it's definitely not what the dealerships use when you order one from them. You can work closely with your sales rep to make sure you aren't being charged twice for the same things, but it's always possible for a mistake to get through. My advice is to just check everything. And make sure you know what you're being charged before you commit to anything.

Was just an example, but like something that has a longer range to it like I know they make them operate off your phone now so you can just start it on an app.
Okay, I thought you had a specific system in mind. The range on the OEM system could be better, but I'm able to start my truck from my kitchen when it's in the garage, and from my desk when I'm at work. So I guess I really don't need any more range for my use. I had the uconnect app on my last truck for the first year of ownership. I could start it from anywhere, as long as I had a signal on my phone. But I found that there was often a long delay after initiating a remote start. Which pretty much defeated the purpose in most cases. It came in handy maybe two times, when I was able to start my truck from the airport terminal after getting off the plane.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to concur with Mikeru82. The operating range on the factory system is very, very good. I seldom use the remote start, but I can initiate it from anywhere in the house, or from my neighbor's house. But I'm sure it'll work farther. I can flash the lights from better than 200 yards.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045440 miles.

Reaction score
So I went to the dealership today and it doesn’t seem like items that overlap in multiple different packages will adjust the price of that package from what the salesperson told me. She said that the package prices are what they are, even with having an item in one package and that same item in another package ☹️ Also found out that there are currently like $4-4500 worth of rebates/incentives, but can’t use them if you use Chrysler Capitals 0% financing deal apparently which was a bummer 😔

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty common if you go with a 0% loan. You won't be eligible for any manufacturer incentives. But many dealerships also have their own incentives, which you should qualify for regardless of how you're paying for it. A friend of mine bought a Limited last spring, with the 0% financing deal through Chrysler Capital. She didn't qualify for any of the incentives from Ram, but she still got about 5K off in dealer incentives. It pays to shop around different dealerships.

WReckeR

Reaction score
So I went to the dealership today and it doesn’t seem like items that overlap in multiple different packages will adjust the price of that package from what the salesperson told me. She said that the package prices are what they are, even with having an item in one package and that same item in another package ☹️ Also found out that there are currently like $4-4500 worth of rebates/incentives, but can’t use them if you use Chrysler Capitals 0% financing deal apparently which was a bummer 😔
As I said above, they certainly will. Use the search on the website to find a vehicle at a dealership with the options you have in mind. Then visit the dealer's website, locate that vehicle, and pull up the window sticker. There should be a button for this. Then look at the window sticker. You will see adjustments made there. I gave you the example of the speakers.

Reaction score
I believe you I’m just not sure how to go about it then.... like the Class IV receiver hitch is included in the Big Horn Level 2 and also the Trailer-Tow Group and both prices are exactly the same as when I do it on the site if I were to add just 1 of the packages and not the other. This is what they gave me as far as pricing for a printout.

Attachments

• 9D40117F-FC91-4594-AA4C-51385BA20600.jpeg
    9D40117F-FC91-4594-AA4C-51385BA20600.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 11

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you I’m just not sure how to go about it then.... like the Class IV receiver hitch is included in the Big Horn Level 2 and also the Trailer-Tow Group and both prices are exactly the same as when I do it on the site if I were to add just 1 of the packages and not the other. This is what they gave me as far as pricing for a printout.
Just a side note...I noticed you didn't opt for the 33 gallon fuel tank. I would highly recommend including that in your build. That $445 option will cost you a couple thousand if you decide to convert later. Of course the choice is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread