5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neutral gear for car wash

Ack

Reaction score
Hello all. I did a search and didn't find an answer, but in some car washes you have to shut off your vehicle and put it in neutral with your foot off the brake. I couldn't find a way to do this! As soon as I shut it off, it automatically went to park as you know. I tried pushing the start button over to ACC and still could not move it over to neutral. They told me to just leave it running then, which isn't a good idea but I had no other choice at that moment. Is there a way to override shifter autocorrect, or am I just screwed for being able to use a car wash with a moving wheel track?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just dial it to "N" when you get to the entrance. Engine will still run, as intended, and then you just dial it to "D" when you get the green light at the end. I've not seen a modern car wash that requires you to turn off the engine. All of them around Houston just go with neutral, engine running.

Ack

Reaction score
Easy enough to do it that way, but I would've thought it'd be a carbon monoxide hazard. Thanks Edwards.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I had not given that a thought as I am at an age that I can't hand wash my Ram anymore. I had it washed at a car wash that I get out and they take it from there. I guess they do keep it running as it doesn't take too long to get it through there and would save them time starting a vehicle each time it came to the end of the wash. And it may be a necessity from what I am reading here. Good information for me to think about.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Never heard one that required engine off. You can try switching it to Run and see if it will let you shift.

That is how we put it in gear before all the electronics, if it wouldn't start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Here in Arizona, its against the law to run a car through the car wash with the engine running IF nobody is in the car. It must be manned if its running.
Usually the attendant has to stay in the car, but I insist that I stay with it as to protect my valuables and weapons...

Maple

Reaction score
Would the other option be setting the transfer case to neutral in a 4x4? Based on the manual, that isn't possible for a 2wd truck (not sure what OP has), but seems like it should for a 4x4 if you really don't want to keep it running. I think you would also have to disable the auto parking brake if you have it enabled in the Uconnect settings.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would the other option be setting the transfer case to neutral in a 4x4? Based on the manual, that isn't possible for a 2wd truck (not sure what OP has), but seems like it should for a 4x4 if you really don't want to keep it running. I think you would also have to disable the auto parking brake if you have it enabled in the Uconnect settings.

With as close as they run cars together here I think that would be a recipe for a car wash rear ender! This week they had a Corvette so close behind me I could only see the absolute rear of his roof in my mirror.

TrackDay

Reaction score
I haven't looked to see where it is in a 2019 but earlier year Rams and all other FCA vehicles with the ZF 8spd have a manual neutral lever somewhere that allows a tow truck driver to tow a disabled car. In previous Rams it was near the steering wheel behind an access panel on the console. Chargers and Challengers have it in the center console next to the shifter. Lots of YouTube videos about it. I wouldn't use it every time you get a car wash though. Just leave your engine running as others say.

Ack

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies all. I think I've decided to just leave it run since that seems to be the consensus. For anyone interested, there is indeed a manual override as TrackDay pointed out. Use a key or coin to pop open the little 2x4" panel just below the parking brake switch. Inside is a small orange nylon strap. Pull it out and towards the center of the cab until it clicks into place. You're in neutral. To release, pull towards you again slightly until it clicks, then let it back into place. Easy-peasy.

Users who are viewing this thread