5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need your input!

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is for a class project, I’m collecting data for a potential product to replace plastic straws and I was hoping y’all could share your opinions and any ideas that you have regarding this product.

We’re trying to create Pasta Straws as an alternative to Paper straws (because we all know how easily
they fall apart). These Pasta straws will be able to sit in drinks longer without getting soft ( around 1 hour ) and will be biodegradable/edible. The main part we’re working on is creating flavored straws, some examples would
be lemon for sweet tea, cherry for lemonade, caramel or vanilla for coffee, Honey for hot tea, etc.
We’d make them available at restaurants, fast food chains, and potentially even grocery stores if demand is high enough.

Any ideas you have for flavors, wether or not you think the flavoring idea is viable, or even just your opinion on wether you’d buy/use them is greatly appreciated!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you would need one that’s essentially unflavored. How that would be achieved, I don’t know.

If you can pull your idea off and market it to be successful, it would be awesome! 👍

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I probably wouldn't be interested in flavored straws. I would be curious if the pasta would leach starch (or whatever ends up in pasta water) into the drink. Maybe not if is cold. Anyway, keep us posted on that project. Good luck!!

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I've tried a couple of different pasta straws and didn't like the taste all that much. They do leak into the drink but it's the end in your mouth that you taste the most.

We also cooked the used pasta straws to see how they tasted, and well it wasn't all that different once properly cooked. So there's that :D

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sugar straws!

Fiberglass straws won't dissolve. Won't solve the plastic problem either.

Bamboo.

Rolled up $100 bill. (Worked back in the 80s)

Just use a sippy cup.

Users who are viewing this thread