5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need pics of lifted trucks with nerf bars/running boards!

Pearl Ram

Reaction score
White & chrome 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn with ReadyLift 3.5" lift being installed and 34" Cooper Discovery AT3 XLT tires. Can't decide on nerf bar/running boards being chrome or black. Any pics or suggestions?

Pearl Ram

Reaction score
Thanks, cervelo15! Nice looking Ram! I have not seen these steps before. Very tight to the body and I plan to check them out. I see you have a 2" lift (leveling? or all around?). Do you think with me doing a 3.5" lift and going from 32" to 34" tires would make this step hard to use for shorter people (aka the wife) since it is so tight to the body vs a step that drops down a bit? Although I do really like the fact it doesn't kill the look of clearance from the side!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Black vs chrome for me is easy. Since my truck has no chrome I would get black if it didn't already come with steps. If I had chrome bumpers and/or grille I would probably get chrome or stainless steps.

The tighter to the body the steps are the more awkward they are to use. Lifting your truck will probably make it harder for shorter people to use them. In other words, your wife might not appreciate that unless she is into the whole lifted truck thing.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Thanks, cervelo15! Nice looking Ram! I have not seen these steps before. Very tight to the body and I plan to check them out. I see you have a 2" lift (leveling? or all around?). Do you think with me doing a 3.5" lift and going from 32" to 34" tires would make this step hard to use for shorter people (aka the wife) since it is so tight to the body vs a step that drops down a bit? Although I do really like the fact it doesn't kill the look of clearance from the side!
Thanks, I love my truck! So I have the Mopar 2" 'lift' per se....I didn't install the spacers out back because if I did, it would retain the ugly-a** rake that it had. My whole original plan was to go the 3" route with the ORP spring conversion, etc, but that didnt work out and I'm glad now that it's sitting in my garage. My main concern was dog, daughter, wife, elderly parents getting in the back. Keep in mind, bigger tires will give a small boost too, so once I get those on, it might get a tinge higher. So if your wife is as tall as mine (5'3"), the 3" lift without putting the tires on would have been a challenge right off the bat.

For the steps, that was the main goal, get rid of the gap between the step and the pinch welds/rocker panel. I had chrome steps on my Laramie and I hated the chrome, and it left a maybe 4-5" gap between the step and the rocker panel. Didn't look pretty and let a lot of mud, snow, etc thrown up there. I know Rhino makes another variation of the Dominator step where there are pronounced steps instead of one long board. I also think you can get step extensions for that as well, but kills the clearance. Plus my BH is the night edition, so black steps were a huge compliment to that theme.

Check these ones out, I was thinking of going with these but went with the D6 instead. These curve down a bit, so it helps with the step up:

Pearl Ram

Reaction score
Thanks, I love my truck! So I have the Mopar 2" 'lift' per se....I didn't install the spacers out back because if I did, it would retain the ugly-a** rake that it had. My whole original plan was to go the 3" route with the ORP spring conversion, etc, but that didnt work out and I'm glad now that it's sitting in my garage. My main concern was dog, daughter, wife, elderly parents getting in the back. Keep in mind, bigger tires will give a small boost too, so once I get those on, it might get a tinge higher. So if your wife is as tall as mine (5'3"), the 3" lift without putting the tires on would have been a challenge right off the bat.

For the steps, that was the main goal, get rid of the gap between the step and the pinch welds/rocker panel. I had chrome steps on my Laramie and I hated the chrome, and it left a maybe 4-5" gap between the step and the rocker panel. Didn't look pretty and let a lot of mud, snow, etc thrown up there. I know Rhino makes another variation of the Dominator step where there are pronounced steps instead of one long board. I also think you can get step extensions for that as well, but kills the clearance. Plus my BH is the night edition, so black steps were a huge compliment to that theme.

Check these ones out, I was thinking of going with these but went with the D6 instead. These curve down a bit, so it helps with the step up:

Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up getting a set of N-Fab "TEXTURED BLACK CAB LENGTH PODIUM STEPS" because they sit very tight to the bottom of the truck and the dropdowns help out my 5' 2" wife. Got them at a decent price of $413 with a lifetime warranty on frame and 5 years on coating.
1633037832650.png

Pearl Ram

Reaction score
Black vs chrome for me is easy. Since my truck has no chrome I would get black if it didn't already come with steps. If I had chrome bumpers and/or grille I would probably get chrome or stainless steps.

The tighter to the body the steps are the more awkward they are to use. Lifting your truck will probably make it harder for shorter people to use them. In other words, your wife might not appreciate that unless she is into the whole lifted truck thing.
Thanks, mikeru82! I finally decided that I preferred a "dropdown" style step rather than a traditional running board because it fits tight to the body but also has the dropdowns for my wife. That decision helped me to decide that I would go with the flat black -- hoping it would help to fade into the background most of the time (especially after my lift and bigger tires). The chrome dropdowns look hideous in my opinion so, hoping it will work out well. Thanks again for the input!

cervelo15

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up getting a set of N-Fab "TEXTURED BLACK CAB LENGTH PODIUM STEPS" because they sit very tight to the bottom of the truck and the dropdowns help out my 5' 2" wife. Got them at a decent price of $413 with a lifetime warranty on frame and 5 years on coating.
View attachment 106832
I looked at those too but they had a big backorder and I needed steps pronto. Nice choice!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks, mikeru82! I finally decided that I preferred a "dropdown" style step rather than a traditional running board because it fits tight to the body but also has the dropdowns for my wife. That decision helped me to decide that I would go with the flat black -- hoping it would help to fade into the background most of the time (especially after my lift and bigger tires). The chrome dropdowns look hideous in my opinion so, hoping it will work out well. Thanks again for the input!
I like the steps you chose. I think they'll look great! Of course pics will be needed once you get them installed. :D

Users who are viewing this thread