5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Phone Case and Mounting System: magnetic and wireless-charging compatible, moving from Otterbox, understanding MagSafe, etc.

hawkman248

Reaction score
I'm new to Dodge RAM.

Truck: 2020 LARAMIE
Current Phone: Google Pixel 6 Pro (wireless charging capable but not "MagSafe")
Current Case: Otterbox Defender - the heavy, rubber case that usually comes with a belt clip.
Current Mount System: RAM Mounts "X-brace" holder
Considering: Bulletpoint & Course options (both mentioned in this thread: Phone mount)

What I'm seeking: A magnetic phone mount system for my truck, preferably a magnetic one. This would require a new case. I don't think my phone is MagSafe.

Re: Bulletpoint Rubigrid - I like the multi-device attachment system, and could use a very short USB to connect the magnetic phone mount to the 12V socket located on the dash, next to where the Rubigrid would go.
Re: Course Motorsports - I like the simplicity but it's unmovable at that point, from what I can tell. If it's out of the way of the vent and not hidden behind the steering wheel, that's good, though.

Other note: I'm looking to be able to attach my phone to a scope mount for hunting and wildlife viewing. The PhoneSkope brand requires it's own case be attached to the phone and I don't want that. The brand I'm looking at is called Magview (Products - MAGVIEW Gear: Premium Digiscoping). They have a charge-through magnetic plate that you attach to your phone (case?) and then it can be held to the scope by an adapter you put on the scope. *Note that this would be used so very little of the time, that I could always switch cases for this. However, if it works to get a good case and attach this backing plate, and it will allow me to wireless charge through either the Course or Bulletpoint mounts, that might be a good option!

I'm no mountain man but work in agriculture and hunt/fish. I like to have a phone that's well-protected (even though I don't think I currently have a screen protector on my phone. oof). However, I DO work from home now, mostly in a home-office setting, so it's not like I'm constantly beating up my phone outside.
I find the Otterbox bulky. It doesn't fit in the wireless charger slot on my 2020 Laramie.
Wireless charging does not work through a thick Otterbox.

So, I'm taking all case and mount suggestions.

Thanks.

hawkman.

ps. I was trying to keep this neat and organized but ended up blabbing on and on. Sorry about that.

seansmd

Reaction score
IMG_20230624_092508.jpg
This is my setup, samsung s23 with amagsafe case. Case Spigen Ultra Hybrid OneTap Metal Ring MagFit Compatible with MagSafe Designed for Galaxy S23 Ultra Case (2023) - Black https://a.co/d/4BqWwmm

And the bulletpoint magsafe wireless charger, needs a ac wall wort to charge the usb ports suck and are too weak.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1691914602945.png
This is what I use for wireless charging. I don't use magsafe holder because I don't trust it's going to hold when I offroad.
Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QZ8M2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6D6KG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have iPhone 13 Promax with the Apple clearcase.

If you don't go offroad often or don't go on bumpy trails then you can consider this mount:
I use this mount in my BMW E90 M3. No problem at all.

If you are looking for dash mounts I personally use ICS Dash Mount, and I use 67Design arms for my tablet. That gives me the least amount of wobbling while going down the bumpy trails (wobbling on dash mounted tablets with any kind of arm is normal due to weight and gravity)

ICS Dash Mount:
For 12" screen: 2019+ Ram Dash Mount 12" screen
67Design: 67 Designs - World’s best phone and tablet mounting system.
be sure to email 67d to see what they recommend (ball size and arm length) for your use!

hawkman248

Reaction score
@seansmd & @boogielander - you've both given me some stuff to consider. I'll have some questions maybe. I also need to determine where I want my phone (up high? partially blocking a vent or screen? or to the left of screen and vent - yet not hidden by steering wheel.)

I think for the most part, I can do with magnetic. If I go hunting out west and do a lot of rough driving, then I could always pick up a gripping mount.

One question is: do I need wireless charging if I need to be plugged in for Android Auto anyway? (I'm so surprised at vehicles that require it. My first truck with Android Auto was a '22 F150 and it didn't require USB connection. Now my '20 Laramie requires it. I don't know why. Maybe the newer models do not (since my F150 was a 22.)

Interesting. Not sure what year and model your trucks are. Some different options in there. @seansmd - what are the green lights on your shift dial? @boogielander - is that module of six buttons next to your w/l charger stock in a certain model?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@seansmd & @boogielander - you've both given me some stuff to consider. I'll have some questions maybe. I also need to determine where I want my phone (up high? partially blocking a vent or screen? or to the left of screen and vent - yet not hidden by steering wheel.)

I think for the most part, I can do with magnetic. If I go hunting out west and do a lot of rough driving, then I could always pick up a gripping mount.

One question is: do I need wireless charging if I need to be plugged in for Android Auto anyway? (I'm so surprised at vehicles that require it. My first truck with Android Auto was a '22 F150 and it didn't require USB connection. Now my '20 Laramie requires it. I don't know why. Maybe the newer models do not (since my F150 was a 22.)

Interesting. Not sure what year and model your trucks are. Some different options in there. @seansmd - what are the green lights on your shift dial? @boogielander - is that module of six buttons next to your w/l charger stock in a certain model?
I use wireless charging because my 22 Rebel has wireless carplay. iirc wireless carplay/ android auto is a relatively new while wired mirroring has been out since mid 2010s.
I can't speak for android but your phone should charge when it's plugged in even when mirroring. And if you're going to use android auto you don't really need access to the phone all the time because navigation will not show up on your phone screen anyways (unless you going to be texting or using it for other functions, which i get and I sometimes do lol)

That 6 button module is actually a 8 switch system. It's called Switch-Pros. It is the best aux switch system there is (for sure not auxbeams or anything that looks similar that originated from the same factory in china) and is made in USA. It is expensive, but it's well worth every penny. Mine's been through dirt, mud, snow, sand, heat, freezing temp, and vibration both fast and slow for 5 years, and it's still running like day 1. I can strobe my lights, burst my lights, turn my lights on and off via my phone (through the app), and turn on all frontal lights with one switch (master switch). It's great to mess with other people when you're parked in a parking lot and they get too close to your truck lol.
I tape off the blank ones that I temporarily am not using. That's why you only see 6 switches with labels.

Users who are viewing this thread