5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need brake controller

mrut

Reaction score
Just purchased a 21 bighorn night edition but it did not have the factory brake controller on it. Asked about getting it installed and they said they were back ordered until July.

Any ideas where I might can find one online (for the best price)? How do I know which model to get? I'm ok with installing it and letting the dealership do the programming.

Thanks,
Rut

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I’d buy a factory controller at this point, until they address the fact that it doesn’t work below 15mph...

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Say what? Mine certainly does.
Might want to check carefully - widely reported here.... Yes it works 0-15mph, but if you decelerate from, say 60 to 0, around 15mph, the OEM controller let’s up on the trailer brakes. Not sure by how much, but it is noticeable. I plan on instrumenting the trailer brake circuit with a storage ‘scope and see what’s really happening, just haven’t had the chance yet.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Might want to check carefully - widely reported here.... Yes it works 0-15mph, but if you decelerate from, say 60 to 0, around 15mph, the OEM controller let’s up on the trailer brakes. Not sure by how much, but it is noticeable. I plan on instrumenting the trailer brake circuit with a storage ‘scope and see what’s really happening, just haven’t had the chance yet.

Very interesting. I haven't noticed anything of that nature with mine.

henrypretz

Reaction score
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller that I’m not using. My Ram has the factory one. To be honest, the Prodigy setup gave a bit more in the way of adjustability.
If you’re interested please feel free to pm me.

Ppkaprince98

Reaction score
Sorry to break into your thread OP, but is the wiring already under the hood and dash to wire in an aftermarket controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del21BH

Reaction score
Sorry to break into your thread OP, but is the wiring already under the hood and dash to wire in an aftermarket controller?

Yes the wiring is there. Above the gas pedal to dash area. It’s really tucked up there but it is there. You can pop the lower steering column cover off to make it easier. Did mine bout a week ago.

Dakota

Reaction score
Just purchased a 21 bighorn night edition but it did not have the factory brake controller on it. Asked about getting it installed and they said they were back ordered until July.

Any ideas where I might can find one online (for the best price)? How do I know which model to get? I'm ok with installing it and letting the dealership do the programming.

Thanks,
Rut
If you want a factory controller you can order the parts individually.
Module # 68277136AF
Switch # 68309259AC
Bracket # 68346572AB
Screw # 6101946 x3
Clip # 6510468AA x3
If your dealer can’t help you hit me up.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The difference with after market versus OEM is the OEM shows up in your display, not sure if you were aware of the difference.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Not sure I’d buy a factory controller at this point, until they address the fact that it doesn’t work below 15mph...
My 2020 has the oem controller I installed and flashed with alpha. Ive pulled my scissor lift many times (about 5k total) and never noticed. I’ll have to try and see if I can tell. I can say that the light trailer setting seems too light at lower speeds combined with lighter to medium brake pressure. On heavy setting it is much better. Both settings seem the same at higher pedal pressure and speeds

Reactions: cj7

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Freaked me out the first time it happened. Thought I lost my trailer brakes. Such a dumb design

Users who are viewing this thread