5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAV the worst GPS ever? Serious routing issues

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Probably the biggest joke of the entire $67K truck. Old maps, and a childish interface.

OTOH - Split screen in carplay with Google Maps is just fine - every time. Google maps uses "call homes" from every device using google (way to spy) to do live traffic - so the traffic is pretty accurate. Some of the satellite views may be old - but still looks worlds better than the OEM GPS.

Not sure in any of my vehicles - if I've used the built-in GPS - versus a "live version". Even AppleMaps has improved "somewhat". My last Honda Pilot had Garmin for built-in maps - they updated every quarter (free) on the Garmin site - but even those maps were usually 6 months out of date by the time they were released.

OEM NAV is a bad joke...

Rick

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Ford, Toyota, Chevy, GMC, Jeep, AND Ram...plus.....Garmin and Rand McNally standalone. I've had weird routing with all of them at one time or another. The good news is that if you don't know exactly how to get to where you are going, and you punch in an address it knows and gives you a route.....it WILL get you there eventually. That is all I need it to do. A lot of the weird routing usually has to do with how the Preferences are set. (shortest distance, fastest time, 2 lane/interstate/toll roads) I haven't really looked at the preferences in my 12" yet.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
My wife's factory Honda Navigation is authored by Garmin (the updates come from Garmin). It works great. Every other factory nav I've used is garbage by comparison. I use Android Auto in my truck and it works well, except for not giving sufficient voice alerts for turns in some situations.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never experienced an OEM navigation system that was worth anything, and as others have already said, you're better off with the navigation app on your phone. Or buy a standalone Garmin navigation unit. Personally, for a free app, I prefer Microsoft Maps. It has never failed me, it gives plenty of verbal warning before turns, and I find it recovers from route deviations faster than Google maps. The time-to-arrival predictions have in general been very accurate for me. Years ago I used the Here app, which IMO is superior to Google Maps for navigation. I dislike Waze, won't even touch it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The beauty of the upcoming UConnect 5 hardware will be free OTA updates (software & maps). It should resolve the issue of outdated mapping data, for sure.

BNeal

Reaction score
I just use Waze. The UConnect nav is all over the place.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
Google maps using Android auto works great. Gives you shortest and fasest routes. Doesn't cost anything. Looking for speed traps, Waze works good as well.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The beauty of the upcoming UConnect 5 hardware will be free OTA updates (software & maps). It should resolve the issue of outdated mapping data, for sure.
But that upgrade doesn't apply to anyone with a 2019 or 2020, does it? Has to be a 2021, right?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The factory NAV on my 8.4" system is ok, but vastly inferior to the Google maps on my phone.

My favorite thing about the factory NAV is it comes with a glossy bezel which makes the screen look much bigger than it is.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I guess the question is whether those of us with UConnect 4 will be able to upgrade to UConnect 5 and then if it will be free or will you need a new unit.

other than the nav I am happy with UConnect so far, though I seriously doubt that when the free trial,period is over that I will shell out any dollars to renew unless they drastically cut the price and use CarPlay instead.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I guess the question is whether those of us with UConnect 4 will be able to upgrade to UConnect 5 and then if it will be free or will you need a new unit.

other than the nav I am happy with UConnect so far, though I seriously doubt that when the free trial,period is over that I will shell out any dollars to renew unless they drastically cut the price and use CarPlay instead.
Totally new hardware. Looks like it will not be on the 2021s like we hoped. So 2022 model year at the soonest (crossing fingers).

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Adding this for the laugh value. Imagine seeing this direction pop-up on your GPS. Took this in my old Durango. Good thing I know that the road I had to turn left on doesn't intersect at a 90 deg. angle. 🙃

Attachments

• GPS U-Turn Directions.jpg
    GPS U-Turn Directions.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 17

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I would rate my factory NAV at a 9/10. It even has a ton of seasonal logging roads that most people will not travel.

Most of my serious travel I use my work phone and use apple carplay.

Users who are viewing this thread