5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N0GL vs N3GL

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious as I keep seeing folks post which hardware version their radios are, does anyone actually know the difference between the N0GL and N3GL 12 inch infotainment systems?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One was 4 revisions later...lol

I've never seen any details on differences between hardware components.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One was 4 revisions later...lol

I've never seen any details on differences between hardware components.
I'm not sure it's indicative of revision, since year model doesn't seem to dictate those last 4 characters.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's indicative of revision, since year model doesn't seem to dictate those last 4 characters.
You won't see any N3GLs in the early model years (like my '19). FCA introduces revisions to many parts whenever they become available. You are correct in that they are not tied to model years. They show up at any time. Hence software updates are VERY messy, as there are many hardware revisions to accommodate.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won't see any N3GLs in the early model years (like my '19). FCA introduces revisions to many parts whenever they become available. You are correct in that they are not tied to model years. They show up at any time. Hence software updates are VERY messy, as there are many hardware revisions to accommodate.
There's a couple 2019's with N3GLs on this forum, though I supposed they could be mistaken. And yea, I was just more curious as to what the actual hardware difference was. It's one thing if they are sequential/evolutionary revisions but there seem to be multiple hardware branches.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's a couple 2019's with N3GLs on this forum, though I supposed they could be mistaken. And yea, I was just more curious as to what the actual hardware difference was. It's one thing if they are sequential/evolutionary revisions but there seem to be multiple hardware branches.
That would be odd, unless all of the revisions were done early on (which is totally plausible). I won't go into details here, but my truck is as loaded as they come, and there were certain updates that couldn't be performed on it in the early days. Note that it's not just a matter of the 'head unit' version...there are differences between all the various computers (BCM, PCM, TCM, etc.) that can complicate things further.

To your earlier point, it would be very helpful if we had an understanding of how all of these parts evolved over time. It seems that even my dealer cannot access this kind of information.

Users who are viewing this thread