5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My wife told me I had to get a new truck!!!

Quasar

Reaction score
Positive problem I know, and yeah she’s great. I am still looking, without much luck unfortunately, for a new Ram 1500. I’m buying it to tow about 50% of the time, the rest of my truck driving will primarily be freeway to get to Home Depot or the dumps. So, MPG while towing is an important metric to me. We’re also looking to get a couple’s trailer for camping, and have narrowed it down to worst case < 7,000#’s fully loaded, so a half ton should be fine with the right config. I’ve been trying to find an Eco-diesel, but about to give up on that—something about a computer chip. Thinking I’ll wait it out, or maybe get a Hemi with eTorque. The math works out about the same with how much I drive—except the diesel gets better range. There are still a few Hemi’s around. I’ll need to stick with a Big Horn because the wife will not have leather seats, (even though I told her all the cows died of natural causes in fields of poppies)-kiddin’ she just doesn’t like them. Since I mostly use it to tow: a 3.92 RA with a 33-gallon tank and integrated trailer brake are non-negotiable. I’ve been trying to find out what the avg. towing MPG on a Hemi ETorque with a 3.92 is, and yes I have seen many threads with folks asking the same question, but as yet have not heard the answer. Lots on the 3.21. A quest! In the meantime, in my area none of the dealers that have trucks left on their lots are budging off of full MSRP less incentives. My company even belongs to the Affiliate Program, but the dealers just laughed and said no. It only comes to around a 9% discount, which didn’t seem all that much to ask. I will buy a truck by May, but not at full MSRP. So maybe something else. I have almost always had Ford’s, but as an Italian-American I have done my duty and owned a few obligatory Fiats. As I recall, you could shoot bullets through the engines and they’d still run, but the door handles fall off. Bottom line, I hope to be switching to Ram, the truck is the most comfortable I’ve driven, but if you saw what I’m driving now you’d realized that just about anything would feel like a Rolls. Thus, the heading to this post.

The towing experience between the ecodiesel and Hemi is pretty significant. I‘ve towed the same 5k lb camper with a 2019 with the hemi and my current 2020 ecodiesel. The torque curve makes all the difference. With the hemi it was constantly downshift and revving high RPM to maintain speed. The ecodiesel just cruises along and hardly ever has to downshift. And where I was getting about 8.5-9.5 mpg with the hemi I now get 12.5-13.5 mpg with the ecodiesel. The mpg difference when not towing is significant as well. Hold out for that ecodiesel, you’ll be glad you did.

Towing a 7,000 lb trailer with the hemi etorque u will get 10-12 mpg tops. They get terrible gas mileage towing. Even when I hook up my 3,000 lb 10×12 enclosed trailer it gets terrible mileage. The only way to get the 17 - 22 mpg that's listed is to baby it & have no payload in it & not towing. Otherwise get the diesel. I get 14 mpg just driving around town slamming on the accelerator. I have got 24 mpg going 55 mph on a straight country road with no wind. So it can be done. Just don't expect that all the time.

The towing experience between the ecodiesel and Hemi is pretty significant. I‘ve towed the same 5k lb camper with a 2019 with the hemi and my current 2020 ecodiesel. The torque curve makes all the difference. With the hemi it was constantly downshift and revving high RPM to maintain speed. The ecodiesel just cruises along and hardly ever has to downshift. And where I was getting about 8.5-9.5 mpg with the hemi I now get 12.5-13.5 mpg with the ecodiesel. The mpg difference when not towing is significant as well. Hold out for that ecodiesel, you’ll be glad you did.
That is exactly the information I was hoping to find. I can't thank you enough. I will hold out. I have time, and I have a truck--just need more room and comfort. Again, thanks.

Towing a 7,000 lb trailer with the hemi etorque u will get 10-12 mpg tops. They get terrible gas mileage towing. Even when I hook up my 3,000 lb 10×12 enclosed trailer it gets terrible mileage. The only way to get the 17 - 22 mpg that's listed is to baby it & have no payload in it & not towing. Otherwise get the diesel. I get 14 mpg just driving around town slamming on the accelerator. I have got 24 mpg going 55 mph on a straight country road with no wind. So it can be done. Just don't expect that all the time.
I should have posted a long time ago. It would have saved me a hundred hours searching. That was great information. Unfortunately I entered into Build and Price a new Ram and searched 250 miles. There is only one partial match. Hard to get all the stuff I want on a Big Horn. Mostly it seems the dealers are trying meet a certain price point and so they mix and match within that window. I should have ordered one, but I need it by the end of May. Thanks very much.

Look farther out, if it’s what you really want. I drove 1004 miles each way for my truck, to get color and price I wanted. These are tough choices you’ll need to make. My 19 had issues and was bought back on lemon law, not motor related. I had a 2021 built. However had a friend with eco in his 4 gen and had nothing but issues, he said never again, he’s back to the hemi and loves it. You also need to look at the upfront cost, does the eco really save you that much with that extra upfront cost, special oil changes, etc... My 19 had the hemi with the 3.92. I pulled a large POP UP camper, with the truck very loaded and I would get around 13.5. Not towing anything, In town I average 17 and highway 18-19. Like someone else said, I’ve gotten 24-25 flat highway, no wind at 60 or less, don’t expect it though. I will say it had no issue pulling or loss of power, so much better then the Chevy 5.3. I realize your trailer will weigh more. I love the etorque, it gives you a little nudge off the line, helps when towing / loaded. Also I’ve been told the leather in the Laramie is not real leather, it’s doesn’t seem like it to me. I love the looks of the Laramie sport, that’s what my 19 and 21 were/are. Good luck whatever you decide. Also these new rams seem to have lots of issues😩

Just order one from the factory. I spent months looking all over the east coast for a bighorn spec’d close to my liking. And certainly was t going to lay top dollar for a truck that didn’t check all my boxes. I called 5 dealers and finally after the last one couldn’t find me a truck said hell why don’t I just order you one. Talked numbers, you can still negotiate a custom order, went down the checklist and he put my order in. This was even during the start of the pandemic, ordered, built and delivered in almost exactly 2 months.

I just did a 4000mi plus snowbird this winter/spring. I tow 10000 with a 5.7 and e-torque, with 3.92, and averaged just under 12mpg hand calc. The weight isn't actually the problem, but the sail is. If you get ten to twelve, that is a pretty good average. Have seen some post less than ten while towing. Also, I haven't had any problems with the transmission searching for gears, especially when in tow haul, but I don't use it unless I an in the hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back