5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truck will be sitting dormant for 7 months

Scjon03

Reaction score
Some update,

So I just got back from my 7 month deployment and figures my truck battery is dead beyond recharging. Anyways I had to drain water from the filter and replaced the battery. The truck started right up and had “service air suspension” message. The message disappeared and now just have a check engine light on... no idea what it is but still need to take the truck to get its oil change and other stuff.

YELOSUB

Reaction score
Glad you made it back safely...As a fellow veteran, thank you for your service

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank God you made it home. Thanks for your service!

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome home brother. If there's a next time, I'd recommend doing a little prep work for anything more than 2 months! On my deployment a few years back, I went to the closest fuel station where I was going to park the vehicle. Added Sta-Bil to the tank (not sure what a diesel equivalent would be - maybe just any good fuel additive like Hot Shot's EDT) and topped the tank with fuel. Ran the A/C at max for about 15 minutes (to lube up the compressor). Shut her down and disconnected the battery where she was going to lay while I was gone. All was well when I started her up months later. I'd also consider an oil change beforehand if the oil is more than maybe 3 months old.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some update,

So I just got back from my 7 month deployment and figures my truck battery is dead beyond recharging. Anyways I had to drain water from the filter and replaced the battery. The truck started right up and had “service air suspension” message. The message disappeared and now just have a check engine light on... no idea what it is but still need to take the truck to get its oil change and other stuff.
Yep, my son is getting deployed in July and we are “babysitting” his Limited and Jeep…

Scjon03

Reaction score
The next time I get deployed I’ll definitely be leaving whatever vehicle I have at that time at home where someone can start it up. The battery cost 200 bucks. But again this isn’t my first deployment. This was my 7th, but it was the longest out of all of them.
Overall that truck is running and sounds like nothing has happen. The oil change be in a couple of days. But no leaks or anything at all. She starts right up and with no hesitations.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The next time I get deployed I’ll definitely be leaving whatever vehicle I have at that time at home where someone can start it up. The battery cost 200 bucks. But again this isn’t my first deployment. This was my 7th, but it was the longest out of all of them.
Overall that truck is running and sounds like nothing has happen. The oil change be in a couple of days. But no leaks or anything at all. She starts right up and with no hesitations.
I will offer to uhh, "start it" for you every "now and then"... (just write down the mileage) :whistle:

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Welcome home Brother! I’d run the climate controls thru all of the settings to make sure motors/doors open/close as required. Also, 2 things that just showed on mine. Media hub replaced since it wouldn’t charge/recognize my phone. After remote starting, noticed lower right headlight LED was not working. Normally dont approach from the front after remote start, so no telling how long it was out. Tech found a short and replaced entire assembly.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As was mentioned, a solar charger is what you need. Move the selectable fuse to make the 12v cigarette outlet always on and put one of these on the dash. Good to go.

Svt40

Reaction score
You should be fine.

I left my car in storage for 6-8 months at a time while I was deployed. The gas was always fine. Often times, shockingly, it would even start after sitting that long. But more often than not I spent an hour push starting it in the storage area.

Boston

Reaction score
When you get home, thank you. Let the truck be the least of your concerns. You'll be better off than any gasser brother. You'll have to open the door with a key as I suspect the battery will be dead. Bring the battery back to life on a slow charge.
You'll likely have alot of support on base to get your non deployed lives back. Once charged, just turn engine over let the oil pressure build...but no start unless it just happens. Reinflate the tires. Once the engine is running, let it warm up and then go for a gentle drive. Like an athletic who is recovering from injury, it will take time to get back to its best. Gently does it with good long drives.

Users who are viewing this thread