5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mx4 Bakflip w/ rambox water issues

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I installed this cover last week and have been trying to t it as water tight as possible. Added weatherstripping in the 1" Gap at tailgate a d that's working pretty good. Latest rain storm I went out and had alot of water dumping out the rails at the back of the truck as my truck was parked in the driveway and sloped to rear. The drains they provide are for the front near the cab. After researching it seems they used to provide these for the rear. I emailed them to see if they still carry the part

Attachments

• EF250716-C49B-4DF1-9380-01FB68F02C5F.jpeg
    EF250716-C49B-4DF1-9380-01FB68F02C5F.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 114
  • FB85FDBC-4B86-48C5-B3DE-96D99503F6B2.jpeg
    FB85FDBC-4B86-48C5-B3DE-96D99503F6B2.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 118

Fauji Rebel

Reaction score
I installed this cover last week and have been trying to t it as water tight as possible. Added weatherstripping in the 1" Gap at tailgate a d that's working pretty good. Latest rain storm I went out and had alot of water dumping out the rails at the back of the truck as my truck was parked in the driveway and sloped to rear. The drains they provide are for the front near the cab. After researching it seems they used to provide these for the rear. I emailed them to see if they still carry the part
Nice find as I was thinking the same thing as I was going to order a mx4. Let us know what they say

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a MX4 yesterday and it has a cap coving the end

Venom700

Reaction score
Yes it should have caps. One of mine came broken so I’m waiting on a replacement (the package of parts they sent me was minus the cap).

Venom700

Reaction score
A side note that on the other side, I attached some weather stripping to the cap and it completely eliminates the gap in the corner. It was some leftover pieces from my ESI kit (which so far has been working really well).

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
A side note that on the other side, I attached some weather stripping to the cap and it completely eliminates the gap in the corner. It was some leftover pieces from my ESI kit (which so far has been working really well).
If you can post a Picture

Toolbox

Reaction score
If you can post a Picture
Here is the same problem on my 19 ram with the mx4. No caps and no rear drains. Actually just applied a little foam and caulk to block the drain but eventually over flows.

Attachments

• A34FC1D4-08D9-4205-B594-8A4B815F13DF.jpeg
    A34FC1D4-08D9-4205-B594-8A4B815F13DF.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 90

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ll post when I get my truck back due to a little hail. Having it done PDR

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Customer support is sending me out caps. I found accessory part for drains at the tailgate and I ordered them too. $6

Attachments

• 62A0EF7D-599A-4B4C-A84F-14E48259C7FC.jpeg
    62A0EF7D-599A-4B4C-A84F-14E48259C7FC.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 42

FutureRebel

Reaction score
Hey, did the backflip rear drain caps fit your mx4...assuming you have a rambox...I was about to pick some up as my mx4 did not come with caps for the rear...didn't even know about them until seeing this thread...installed cover 3 years ago..my only concern with buying them is the Real truck website says they do not fit Rambox.

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to get a drip or drop at the tailgate seams, but should be minimal. The MX4 includes a 5-year warranty. If you need further assistance in resolving this issue, I'm more than happy to help. PM me or email me at [email protected].

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be worried about that seam running the length of the bed. Without the rambox there's a rubber that cover that seam and rests on the bed toprail. Mine is covered in storage otherwise I'd post a pic.
I don't have rear rail covers either but the piece of rubber I'm talking about helps that rail from filling with water in the first place.
I've never gotten anywhere near the amount of water you are.

I just looked at your Pic again. Now I get it. Yours does not have the rubber so you can open your Rambox lid.
I would still look into sealing that area. I really believe that is the main problem. Maybe you could stuff some foam backer rod they use when caulking deep cracks in there. Really cheap experiment.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'd be worried about that seam running the length of the bed. Without the rambox there's a rubber that cover that seam and rests on the bed toprail. Mine is covered in storage otherwise I'd post a pic.
I don't have rear rail covers either but the piece of rubber I'm talking about helps that rail from filling with water in the first place.
I've never gotten anywhere near the amount of water you are.

I just looked at your Pic again. Now I get it. Yours does not have the rubber so you can open your Rambox lid.
I would still look into sealing that area. I really believe that is the main problem. Maybe you could stuff some foam backer rod they use when caulking deep cracks in there. Really cheap experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread