5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate

Jhova313

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn and I want to add the multifunction tailgate to my truck! Is this option available to do and has anyone swapped one out?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn and I want to add the multifunction tailgate to my truck! Is this option available to do and has anyone swapped one out?
Yes, and no. There are some who have added it. It's not a simple swap

Adjutant

Reaction score
I was really looking for a 1500 with the MFT. They are hard to come by. it wasnt a deal breaker for me, but I would have loved to have one.

Curious to see/read how your swap goes, if you decide to do it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As much as I love having the MFT, the amount of work and cost involved would make it not worth swapping IMHO. There are a couple of older threads on this subject with details on this swap for anyone who has some time to search for them.

For us there were two deal-breakers when we were shopping for a new truck...MFT and rambox option. We refused to even look at anything without both of those options. I had resolved to ordering the truck we wanted but the local dealership was able to locate a truck with both at another dealership and did a dealer trade with them. The fact it had a non-etorque Hemi engine was a bonus.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I put the MFT up along with the RAM Boxes as well. Had the boxes on my 15. For me, game changer. Must have on this truck and any going forward.
Others, exact opposite.
Just looking at the frame, brackets, and time spent… I gotta agree from a time/money perspective. No way that could be worth time and money invested to do so.

Adjutant

Reaction score
I put the MFT up along with the RAM Boxes as well. Had the boxes on my 15. For me, game changer. Must have on this truck and any going forward.
Others, exact opposite.
Just looking at the frame, brackets, and time spent… I gotta agree from a time/money perspective. No way that could be worth time and money invested to do so.
For me, NOT having Ram boxes is a deal breaker. I have had them on my last 3 Rams, and would not purchase a truck without them. MFT would have been great, but I couldnt find any

dajogejr

Reaction score
For me, NOT having Ram boxes is a deal breaker. I have had them on my last 3 Rams, and would not purchase a truck without them. MFT would have been great, but I couldnt find any
Absolutely.
Anyone that’s looked at my truck (and past truck) loved the boxes.
I can still fit a sheet of plywood, drywall, etc., between the wheel wells.
Tightest fit I had was a go cart I had a few years ago…. That was a little hairy getting that into the bed.

My 23 has storage under the rear seats. My 15 had the subwoofer taking up that space, it’s nice to have that little bit back as well.

Users who are viewing this thread